AW: What In The Hell Happened BTS?

JackPeyton

• Members

I've seen some bits of the era of the early 80s, and read about it, and I can imagine how demoralized viewers must have been at the time. How many different families did they try to bring in only to dump them within a year or two? Like the Shea family. Pete Shea's mother is killed in a car bomb (!). Not even 6 months later, Pete Shea's father is killed when a steel beam falls on him (!!) Pete then runs off by the end of the year with Steve Frame's Australian daughter (!!!) How can you watch all that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Off-topic, but this seems to be the main AW thread right now so I'm posting here.

Am I the only one planning to religiously follow TeleNext/P&G's official continuation of Another World at anotherworldtoday.com ? It's already off to a decent start (overly continuity-heavy writing style notwithstanding) and I think if it takes off, although I haven't read anything indicating this, it would be a great inexpensive idea to start incorporating audio dramatization as well that the site could even charge people to download and thus cover the costs.

My minor gripes so far are that Paulina and Joe are off canvas, there are no minority characters, and the writer doesn't seem to like Donna. But I can't wait to see what happens next with Grant's return. And it's nice to see Rachel so firmly in the spotlight.

I am filled with excitement that Another World is alive again! Doctor Who was kept alive in brilliantly written, BBC-licensed print, comics, and audio stories between 1989 and 2005 when it was off television. With PGP's backing, it is not a ridiculous idea to say that this *is*, truly, Another World today.

No longer Another World 1964-1999, but Another World 1964-1999, 2009 - ! The "continuing story of Another World" continues.

• Members

I've been meaning to read this. I loved AW and I want the show to live on. Your recommendation helps. I do hesitate after reading about Donna, because I got sick of the many AW regimes who seemed to have contempt for Donna.

• Members

I feel this is an interesting experiment, and I wonder why so many people are decrying the writing of Alina Adams? I haven't read her books. But even if they are awful, I thought that first chapter of AnotherWorld Today was okay. I'd be interested to know what experienced AWers think.

• Members

I'm definitely giving AW Today the benefit of the doubt... it's a nice site and we'll see where it goes.

As for Swajeski... I wasn't a big fan of her work either. I was a big Lisa/Jamie fan and was a little miffed when Swajeski downplayed the strong story in favor of Vicky/Jamie. Made for a heck of a triangle, though (and I suspect Joanna Going had already told them she was leaving at the end of her contract)... Bringing Iris back was one of her best pieces of work and believably tying her in to Mac and Rachel once again was good. Overall though, especially toward the last couple years of her tenure, I thought she was uneven.

• Members

The return of Iris was a story Swajeski took from Harding Lemay's storyline projections, so her actual credit for the creation, development, and execution is up for debate.

IMO, Swajeski gets a LOT of extra credit points from fans due to the fact that she served in the post longterm and managed to produce a cohesive program consistently, something viewers of AW hadn't seen in ages. I never could really just get into Swajeski's AW because it just felt like there was always something missing...sure the show was engaging and entertaining, but for me it just never POPPED under her pen. It was as if all the elements for a great show were there, but for some reason for there never seemed to be satisfying climaxes...nothing to get me excited enough about the show to want to talk to my friends about it. Compared to the downright explosive drama that was airing on on AW's timeslot competitors (Marland's WORLD TURNS and Rauch's highly rated over-the-top ONE LIFE), Swajeski's AW to me seemed pleasant enough, but sometimes downright boring.

• Members

It was hard going against any show Marland was HW at, much less ATWT. I watched AW and ATWT during that time, and both were good, character driven, and insightful P&G staples, but you're right, Marlands "Turns" was a bit more explosive. I do think that Swajeski's take on AW did stablize the show for a few years. IF I remeber correct (and I do...) in 1992 to 1994, Days became the toast of daytime under first Anderson, then Reilly. While Days ratings soared, AW stayed stagment, so NBC would throw different regimes at AW to see which would stick. "After all" they thought, "With daytime's number #1 show in demos as a lead in, surely AW should capitalize and gain some steam. Alas, all the changes destoryed AW, and finally did the show in.

• Members

AW was the weaker of the P&G soaps during this era, while ATWT continued with Marland and his greatness, GL also experienced a renaissance era under Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest. AW never reached the creative and commercial heights of its sister shows in the late 80's/early 90's.

AW's backstage interference started long before Reilly's DAYS brought in the youth demos, but it definitely intensified by the mid 90's.

• Members

Ah, but around 85/86, GL seemed to have a revolving door of sorts in Pam Long's absense.

I know the TBTP at P&G back then thought of AW as their red headed step child. I always wondered why they didn't send Pam Long over to AW after her stint on SFT, even though GL was obviously tanking.

Archived