Days: Did The Hospital Set Get A Makeover?

• Members

I miss Salem Place.

Parts of it still remain right outside at NBC Studios, where you go to get tickets for Ellen or Leno. But not enough for them to shoot there again. All the work that was being down is whats to blame for Salem Place being taken away. They did try to recreate a part of it in a studio but it just didnt work.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you watching live? Because the show doesn´t look this way on screen. This looks more like a result of the digital compression. I found a full quality version of the ep. and it looks this:

DAYScolor.jpg

It´s not so bad. Besides, I think unbalanced colorization is a fault of post production, not lighting. DAYS is edited digitally so all they have to do is move slightly the RGB controllers.

• Members

Was it this bad when Tomlin helmed SuBe?

I liked Scott's lighting, but that's just me. Yeah the lighting was dark, but I felt the sets had a more realistic feel to them that way. Especially with the mood lighting.

I love the new/redone hospital set. To me the old one looked so pale and unflattering. This one has more life to it.

• Members

The show also looks very pink on my HDTV.

Tomlin's SuBe and even his OLTL were pretty brightly lit. I remember the contrast between JFP's dark OLTL and Tomlin's brighter OLTL (in more ways than lighting too LOL).

Scott's lighting for the Brady pub made it looks like a damn cave. I don't remember him lighting anything on Y&R that dark. But, a lot of DAYS sets don't look that great with extreme dark or bright lighting for that matter. DAYS needs to find a neutral shade of lighting and stick to it.

ETA: Langan also used some dark ligthing, but it wasn't harsh dark lighting.

• Members

I think the lighting now is just fine, it could be better but it could also be worse. I liked Scott's but I have to agree with you, some sets did not look good under him. I never had a problem with Langan or Wyman's lighting either, okey sometimes it could look bad under Wyman but it never really bothered me.

• Members

I tuned in this week to see why this show is a strong #3. Not only could I not figure out why, but the show has worse lighting than AMC. The sets are really cheap. Everyone looks terrible. Very bright. This could not be Ed Scott's lighting!

And you are right, Tomlin's OLTL was lit brighter, but the show still looked very good. Not nearly as bright as Days.

• Members

Because its simple soap.

They have a love triangle, a baby swap, a marriage in doubt because of internal more than external issues, and a lot of family drama. And they do it well.

Its not reinventing the wheel. Its not complex or complicated. Its soap opera 101.

• Members

I am figuring that OLTL is going to try to emulate that style, so i was curious if I could deal. :)

6-8 adult tentpole "legacy" characters and a bunch of 18-30 year olds.

I tried it for 3 days and did not want to bother again. It probably takes a good two weeks these days to get hooked on a show

I noticed that Days has large sets but the show looks really blah.

The guy with the accent was hot though (He had scenes with Adrienne Zuker)

• Members

IMHO, OLTL is trying Basic soap but failing.

They actually have very few 18-30 year olds. Stephanie, Chelsea, Max (none of whom actually have a storyline, and all have strong family ties.) Melanie, Will, Mia, Philip, Chloe. (Two of whom are "legacy" characters and Chloe has been on the show for 10 years now)

Then they have Nicole, Sami, Lucas (Whom are both vets), EJ, Brady (Whom are "legacy" characters) in the 30 age range.

Then the older set Victor, Maggie, Caroline, Bo, Hope, Stefano, Kate.

The hot guy is EJ. james Scott plays him. He is a hottie.

• Members

Days is saving money and staying the same in the ratings.TPTB are out sending Press releases like the show is ten times better than statistics show . The country is in a recession and more people are at home watching this drivel IMO.I see alot of Kudos for a show that is really just about the same ratings wise as compared to its ratings early last year and late 2007.The difference is all the other shows that are stinking it up G&H and ATWT make it look better than it really is IMO.The show is Simple and to me brainless crude and lacking in heart.I do like the pacing and the cast interacting more thats about it.Hogan Sheffer is a good writer but wasn't the right fit for Days even Mary Beth Evans commented on that.He's more intelligent and Dark the polar opposite of Dena Dumb and Airheaded.

Archived