Y&R: Week of March 30, 2009

• Members

I don't think I saw that episode when it aired. Thanks dmarex. Watching John and Jill drive through the countryside. It was so beautiful. And Jill run through the country club to try to stop them was such good soap. On the other hand, those incarnations of Billy and Mac were cringeworthy. I wanted to turn away after ten seconds of them.

There was someone who appeared in that episode who looked exactly like Mary Jane Benson. It would be a shame if it was her. I really hope it's someone else.

There was a link to Monday's US episode on youtube and it's not as invigorating, which is fine, but it's full of set-up for upcoming storylines and the ending is so damn satisfying.

This Mac looks really distraught. Like she's been through a lot, which she has. I hope they bring her experiences in Darfur to the show, but not in a PSA way. Still, if Billy's changed, Mac has to too.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Total agreement. I hope they have moved apart in ways that it (at least initially) makes no sense for them to be together anymore.

Which then causes a constant backstory of pain...for all they lost...all they could have been...all the ways in which they have been damaged (each in their own way) ever since.

And yet, as propinquity does, it would be nice to see them slowly discover that their true selves, loving selves, still exist, and still feel the old connection. And millimeter by millimeter, in a crawl that takes 20 years, the love they cannot deny pulls them inexorably together.

Yup...I'm a melodramatic-romantic-1940s-women's-picture sap that way... Soaps are the last bastion of this kind of pure, manipulative, oh-so-satisfying long tease.

• Members

Yes, that episode was done SO WELL... they didn't shoot it in LA, that's for sure.. when Jill is running thorugh the woods, ir really is an upper midwest woods, I can tell by the trees and plants, she was brushing aside buckeye branches (state tree of Ohio). It made it seem so much more realistic, unlike shows like Little House On The Prairie that was supposed to be in Minnespta (Land of 10,000 lakes) and 90 percent of the time, theyr'e walking around amongst the driest, deadest grass youv'e ever seen (Typical So. California) And about Jack's shooting... Patty overheard in the Abbott mansion, but shot him in his office.

• Members

Yes, it was in his office.

Just watched Friday's episode... my God. The Nick/Sharon/Phyllis triangle continues to amaze me. Sharon is in deep sh*t, and it's exhilarating to watch. Phyllis is getting borderline again, and it's exhilarating to watch. Nick is so devoted to his ex wife, it's exhilarating to watch. I know some people have had enough of this triangle, but there are a lot of dynamics here that NEED to be played up.

Chloe had my sympathy. It's so obvious that she loves Billy, and the whole marriage is a train wreck waiting to happen. I am loving Ashley's new role as the John of the Abbott family, it works out so well.

And, what can one say about the Jill/Kay scenes? Anything that had to be said about La Walton's performance has already been said. She was just... flawless. Great one-liners, ("Digging worms," "marrying trash," etc). Nikki was, once again, her fabulous stripper-yet-refined self. When Kay was announcing that she's going to the wedding, they played one of my favorite, if not favorite, music cues, and the same with a scene later on at the Chancellor dining room. Very tense music played just befor, and during, the catfight! I was so overejoyed to see the reintroduction to the feud: "You want a war, lady? You'll HAVE IT!" And, then, another catfight! I don't think we've seen one since 2002. Boy, was it perfectly done! Fire, sparks, passion, hate! Jill and Kay have always loved each other, in some sick way, deep, deep down. Now that their relationship was much closer, I expect their hate to be equally bigger.

• Members

I was also very intrigued to see Phyllis' run-in with Mary Jane. As if Phyllis getting grabbed and thrown out by a security officer wasn't nirvana enough, Phyllis had to run into Mysterious Plastic Surgery Woman, in typical soap fashion. I got the idea that these two would make awesome friends (like a Diane/Isabella pairing, only better written) or even frenemies. They have the chemistry. And, if Mary Jane is going to be anything of a keeper, they should start developing friendships for her now.

• Members

I love all this Y&R set talk. Although I hate the mint green Chancellor mansion, the set during the wedding was so cool.

Y&R IS a visual feast and half the reason I tune in.

It is a combination of expert lighting, expert movie level set design, and excellent set decoration.

• Members

^I know! I could simply tune in for the production quality alone.

I actually like the Chancellor set, granted that it's probably last on a long list of sets that I do like on the show. One thing does bother me though, and it's not the color, but the living room seems too small for my taste.

• Members

So, I'm not thrilled about a skulking psycho bitch...if that is what she is...or even that Victor would foolishly unleash such a thing on his town (after all the psychos that have afflicted sundry Newmans over the years--Veronica, Gary, Eddie, Rick Daros, Eve Howard; if it is Mary Jo I'm even more dumbfounded 'cause she almost KILLED him and Cricket).

But, if she's a keeper, let's see her develop some ties...they might even give us some clues to who she is.

• Members

Putting aside the fact that I love Stacy Haiduk, her character seems interesting too. This little thing with Phyllis probably means they are willing to invest in her and I can't wait to see what happens. I don't want to have her off my screen so soon if they plan to make her a psycho.

• Members

It's such an ironic casting choice because everyone else who's joined the show recently has been so glamorous, even Tyra who's supposed to be a broke single mother. And she was so reserved, kind of like Kimsey, which I hope doesn't last. The last thing we need is another someone as boring as Lily on this great show. And I really hope she has chemistry with Miller, even if they don't end up together.

I like the idea of Phyllis and Mary Jane becoming friends. But I have a feeling she's not meant to last and that they might share a strained history. This Mary Jane person seems like she has a strained relationship with a lot of people on this show.

Archived