Y&R: Jill To Be Temporarily Recast

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This would imply several things. Among others, that what we write here actually matters (and it matters not one little zit), that SON or any other message board actually can change things. And it can't. Imagine the mess we would be in if a message board encompassing a small percentage of soap viewers, a very specific kind of viewers, would be able to change something. So scratch that. You can write whatever you'd like, but this thread did not “save” Jess Walton.

They certainly misjudged things. However, on the other hand... You have to understand that what they ultimately wanted was: Here you go - you'll be a centerpiece for a month, then we'll dump you.

It was activism, but not the one you're thinking of. It wasn't Let's save Jess!, it was Dump Jess, let's find a different Jill. That's all I saw in this thread: a race on whose candidate should replace her. Permanently. No matter how many would say I'm wrong. Some, not everyone, pretend to like Jess, for whatever reason, perhaps a deep desire to be accepted by a group or something, when in reality... They couldn't care less or they just hate her.

• Members

Actually, I saw exactly what you're saying, Sylph - but I perceived it as more of a "Oh, cool - I get to play EP/Casting Director now". I didn't think there was any deep-seeded hatred of Jess involved. I just think we all like to step into the "What would we do if we were running things?" role, and that's where all the "wishful casting" posts came from.

• Members

Sure. She realised they can replace her in a nanosecond and also that had she said No, it would've meant a farewell to a kind of life she led. Also — pretty much zero other employment opportunities.

Sure. :D I can settle for that. A nice compromise, not so harsh as my view, yet true & balanced.

• Members

Yes, you are right. I thought this myself, this morning. When Sharon Case had that protracted absence during the Jack Smith era (during which she apparently met Cameron Kirsten), I knew about from (a) her absence on my screen, and (B) less "real-time" SOD reporting. So, I couldn't really get too worked up...because 1-2 issues later, SOD reported it was all fixed up.

Now, of course, we're dealing with real time. That does change things.

I HATE HATE HATE hardball. Hate it. I feel it is the ruination of humanity. So, that probably feeds into my emotional reaction :).

You are right. But maybe these things inspired some letters or cards or calls that shifted the valence of things just a bit? Or maybe I'm deluded.

I see what you mean. I don't totally agree...but the fantasy-casting-director thing was here. I myself lobbied for Adair.

So, this implies that Walton -- not Sony/Bell -- blinked. I suspect it further implies Walton agreed to a lower guarantee. I'm not sure we'll ever know...but if that is a correct surmising, I'm a little disappointed.

See, I understand pay cuts, but NOT guarantee cuts. I don't want to see LESS of these actors. Thus, from my perspective, it would be better to lower the RATE than the NUMBER OF EPISODES. But I don't know how the performers feel about it.

• Members

It was activism, but not the one you're thinking of. It wasn't Let's save Jess!, it was Dump Jess, let's find a different Jill. That's all I saw in this thread: a race on whose candidate should replace her. Permanently. No matter how many would say I'm wrong. Some, not everyone, pretend to like Jess, for whatever reason, perhaps a deep desire to be accepted by a group or something, when in reality... They couldn't care less or they just hate her.

I like and respect Jess, but I had more fun brainstorming who could replace Jess, then actually watching Y&R. Wgho cares. Its a soap. Its not the end of the world. Jess is healthy, that's all that matters.

Archived