Y&R: Jill To Be Temporarily Recast

• Members

It doesn't mean we'll see them less. We could still see them the same amount - it just means if they don't play her for a week, they don't have to pay her. It's similar to what ATWT does with Julie Pinson for a long time - she's not on contract, but she's on all the time. It just means they don't guarantee her anything. But if the story's there, they'll use her five days a week.

If JW's guarantee is now lowered to one or two episodes a week (instead of 2.5 or 3), they can still play her five days a week - and pay her for it. But if the story's not there, they're not paying her to do nothing. But it doesn't necessarily mean we'll see them less.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But we all know that when times are tight, they work people to their guarantees. So, since the guarantee represents a minimum appearance amount, if that amount is a crappy one (one episode a week), we've got ourselves the ABC'Dification.

It seems to me that someone like Jess could look at the bottom line and say 'Look, I've made a good living, and I know you need to save xx% on me, so let's just lower my rate by xx%, but get my guarantee up high". (In other words, pay me like someone with less seniority -- lower rate, but high guarantee). That way, she is guaranteed of high storyline visibility, while not breaking the bank of the show.

The advantage of this latter scenario is that the show doesn't pay more, but the actress doesn't have to worry being cut down to 1-2 days a week.

• Members

I have to say that if I was honest... In a way I was hoping she WOULDN'T re-sign... but ONLY if that meant Brenda would come back. I don't hate Jess, I resented her for a long time, but grew to LOVE her. And so my emotions were all over the map on this, I can't help it, but that's the way I felt... I kept thinking:

1: Maybe I (and other fans) should be sure and make our choices KNOWN for who we'd like to play Jill if things didn't work out for Either Walton/Dickson/Adair to play the part.

2: Do I DARE let myself hope that I get my Brenda Back... but if it DID go down like that, would it explode in the fans' faces a'la Scott Bryce?

3: Is it a case of "Be careful what you wish for", if Brenda DID come back, would she be too rusty to be up to snuff?

So, I'm TOTALLY Relieved things went down the way they did. We know Jess is a GREAT actress, and a stable pro. So am I satisifed? YES. Do I still yearn for my lost childhood where I got to see Dickson/Cooper spar onscreen? YES. So it's all bittersweet... but luckliy, Jess has the talent to make the sweet outweigh the bitter.

• Members

I guess we just all need to either develop thicker skins or just quit posting anything on message boards unless it is something nice. Because evidently it bothers people too much these days.

Number 1 you can't say anything about the way fans act about their faves - that is a no no because they get offended.

Second I have figured out that it is okay for the most part to talk about people's looks if they bug eyed or their faces don't move.

It is okay to say that some are power hungry or are not all that or overrated, but certain people are off limits for things like that.

It is weird that another thread that was fun turned as ugly as it did.

I didn't want anything to be wrong with Jess, but I admit I was having fun thinking about who could temporarily play her. I love temp recasts. I love judging whehter they are good or not. And sometimes it is a nice treat to see just briefly someone else's take on a role. And I have to admit I was excited at the possibility of seeing an actress from the soaps that is out of work right now - possibly someone I hadn't seen in a long time. Face it actresses in this age range don't get the opportunity to act much anymore.

As Suzanne Rogers said when she was out of work the last time - she was fighting a battle. She was going up against actresses who were more well known than her along with former soap opera actresses like her who had no chance. She said when she was going to auditions she was up against the Donna Mills, the Morgan Fairchilds, the Cybill Shepherds and in the end the name always won out.

And that is the case even in the soap world these days. They go the stunt casting route hoping that the name will bring them some publicity.

So yes I was excited at possibly seeing somebody like that in a role for a short time. It had nothing to do with Jess at all. I wished her no ill will.

I'm glad she re-signed with the show. And I hope she is around for a long time. Anyway those are just my thoughts.

• Members

Serisouly? Insulting? It's pretty much the obvious truth.

SOW said it was a contract dispute over a paycut, Jess calls in sick which SOW called Jess as "holding her ground".

Y&R sends out an immediate public casting call because Jess was ill and now all of a sudden Jess Walton signs her new contract and Y&R doesn't need that casting call anymore.

Archived