March 9-13, 2009

Toups

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, AMC beat GH all the time from 1970-1978, Summer 1982, and 1992 until the late 90's(In other words, if we go by decade, AMC was ABC's top show for the 70's and 90's, GH for the 80's and 00's). OLTL beat GH regularly from 1968-1976, for several weeks in the summers of 1987 and 1988, and regularly (though not all the time) in 1993-1994. I'm looking at an old SOD with ratings from Marty's rape trial on OLTL (1993), and Y&R was in first with an 8.2, AMC in second with a 7.1, OLTL third with a 6.5, and GH fourth with a 5.8 (this was during Gloria Monty's unfortunate return as GH's EP).

• Members

Actually GH beat AMC overall in the 1970's for the decade.

GH has an 8.7 decade average for the 70's while AMC only has an 8.0 average for the 70's.

In the early 70's AMC was in the 4's and 5's while GH was in the 9's and 10's.

AMC did not move ahead of GH until the 1974-1975 season. They stayed ahead as ABC's top rated soap until the 1979-1980 season when GH went back to the top.

The Top 3 Rated soaps for the 1970's were:

1) As The World Turns

2) Another World

3) Guiding Light

I have not figured all of them so not sure where the rest of the soaps rank yet.

• Members

You're right about the early 70's....I don't have the info pre-1974, and I'd forgotten that AMC didn't explode until the mid-70's. Still, you have to remember that the Nielsen yearly averages for soaps didn't include "off-season" ratings at the time (from mid-April, when the official TV ratings season used to end, until late September when it would begin again), and in fact, didn't include them until within the last 7 years or so. And AMC used to do really well during the summer. In fact, for the year 1981-1982, AMC would've beaten GH if April-Sept of 82 had been included in the averages for that year. I'm looking at some ratings from Daytime TV magazine for the summer months of 1982, and just to give you and example, AMC had ratings ranging from 10.6 to 11.8, while GH never broke a 9.8 June, July, or August of that year.

• Members

To work and school since it wasn't snowing ;)

ETA:

Damn, that has to be DAYS lowest viewer count in months. Just checked that, lowest viewer count since the week of 11/17. Boy do things turn in a week, GH not only #1 for ABC again but all of a sudden a lone wolf third. The middle 4 soaps are all getting 2.6 million, boring, same as last week. More and more, the middle 4 are usually just seperated by 50-100 thousand, very interchangeable right now.

Archived