ATWT: March Discussion Thread

• Members

Yes, Nuke have been very happy and affectionate lately. I continue to like them and can't wait for more of them. I like the story with the housing discrimination, although I'm not sure how long that part of it will last given the shocking accident in the preview and also the return of another character soon.

Housing discrimination is a real issue and I'm always happy when soaps address real issues.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm getting caught up on ATWT (just watched Mon) and I completely agree with you. Luke the Gay Crusader :rolleyes: It's tired and quite frankly, trite. There are many shades of grey and many subtle nuances that could have been injected into him as a gay character or any character for that matter. But this woe is me- Everything is about being gay bullshit, sorry, no, I cannot relate to that. As for Noah, he doesn't bother me as much as Luke lately, but he's another one who could use some coloring. Either way, right now, they're total FF worthy. You know how sometimes you feel so embarassed for a character and what they are about to do that you have to FF it or turn it off to save yourself that embarassment? That's how I feel every time Luke & Noah appear on my screen.

LOVE Paul & Emily's interactions. It's about time they got these two back in each other's orbits. Anybody who thinks Howarth has more chemistry with Wilson than KMH please raise your hand now? Anyone? Anyone? Paul & Emily is where it's at. Let Meg be with Dusty.........and PLEASE let Dusty sleep with Carly to spite Craig. I really think McCouch & West would have TONS of chemistry.

Lily annoyed me with her self-serving sound advice to Dusty. Holden wasn't much better- when he told Meg "I'm not trying to tell you how to run your life"- um, that's exactly what you were doing Holden.

Lucy's storyline is actually kind of interesting to me. I haven't watched ATWT much lately, but this one has me curious.

All in all, a middling episode- 1/2 of it was pretty good, a little bit was average, and the rest was mediocre.

• Members

The murder mystery was not about Luke being gay. Neither was Luke trying to get Casey and Allison together, about Luke being gay. Nor, even, was Noah's breakup and makeup with Luke over the election and then about Brian, and Lucinda's anger at Luke for protecting her, about Luke being gay -- it was about Luke being Luke and making mistakes, being impulsive, going too far in doing what he thinks is right.

The show to me strikes the right balance between showing Luke as a well-rounded, but imperfect, character and specifically showing him as a well-rounded, but imperfect, gay character.

Luke has been breaking the law and pouting, and the hypocrisy of his self-righteousness has been deliberate and acknowledged on the part of the show. Holden and Lily have had to lay down the law ... As Noah said, Luke has been "whiny, self-absorbed" and Lucinda called him a "spoiled brat"... Luke himself said he felt like a fraud being viewed as a do-gooder because of the foundation when he is just some kid who cheated in a student government election and got kicked out of college. Luke's vigilante investigation during the murder mystery led to Mark Vero killing Elwood, and Luke has blamed himself (rightly so in my opinion) for his actions conribuiting to Elwood's death. So there are definitely shades of gray.

The "gay crusader" Luke getting back involved in the foundation is Luke turning the page on all the mistakes and self-absorption and trying to do something positive with his life again. I applaud it. But even now, I know he will not be perfect, and I applaud that too. I am grateful to ATWT for making Luke Snyder a real character.

On another note, I agree that Paul and Emily have been interesting. But everyone is more interesting away from Meg and Dusty. Meg is a poorly written character right now, and has been for the past few years. She changes her mind all the time about everything and everyone. I feel bad for Marie Wilson being stuck with this boring, confusing, directionless, going-through-the-same-motions-all-the-time-in-a-cycle stuff. Almost every major character on the show has clear wants driving them, but Meg is all over the map. The writers need to take a step back and figure her out.

What's the negative story about Jake Silbermann? Come on, you can't drop a bombshell like that and reveal nothing Ruckston Hills, lol.

• Members

I respectfully disagree. I didn't watch the murder mystery much at all, so I can't speak to that. But the election and the stuff with Brian? The election storyline was based on Kevin's people making comments about Luke being GAY, and so Luke cheated. The Brian storyline was about Brian being GAY and wanting Luke. Homosexuality finds its way into most of Luke's storylines, and if you look at it, if he was straight, half of his storylines wouldn't have happened. If Luke was straight, Kevin's campaign people wouldn't have been able to use his sexuality against him, and thus Luke probably wouldn't have had to cheat. If Luke was straight, Brian most likely wouldn't have hit on him, and none of that would have happened. If Luke and Noah were straight and just friends, it wouldn't have mattered to Luke that Noah and Ameera were having a fake marriage. If Luke and Noah were straight, Col. Mayer wouldn't have lost his [!@#$%^&*] and tried to kill Luke.

It's possible for me to forget the extremely shoddy way Luke and Noah were put together and just enjoy them as a couple, but when every storyline is based around their sexuality...it gets hard to care. It's too preachy and too one-sided. That's not to say that their sexuality should never be brought into stories...because being gay or bi or whatever does lend itself to more drama than being straight does, and there's a more psychological aspect to it, but being gay isn't the only experience/characteristic that has colored who these two people are.

Yeah! What happened? Did so-and-so realize that so-and-so is really just not that into him?

• Members

It's not about him being gay that these things happened, although being gay contributed to them happening. The election was about Luke being gay, but not the aftermath where he was kicked out of school and Noah wanted a break from the relationship.

Brian coming on to Luke wasn't about Luke being gay -- that was primarily an older person, younger person, and family (protecting Lucinda) story. It just had elements reflecting the characters involved, including that Luke is gay, which it would have to do.

If all this is "about" being gay and "about sexuality", I could turn around and say that the Dusty/Meg/Paul storyline is about them all being straight because if they were gay, they would not be in that triangle. If they were gay, Meg would not have Paul's baby. Every storyline would be about people being straight if that's the standard, since soap stories these days are pretty much all centered on love.

• Members

That's true. Almost all of the stories on ATWT are based around so-and-so "loving" so-and-so, or so-and-so having sex with so-and-so. It's stupid, IMO, especially when half of these couples are really based on nothing and are just thrown together for the sake of being thrown together. I just think that it's funny that, for some people, shitty stories are okay as long as they are Nuke stories.

• Members

Can I say I hate the uber-preachy tone of Luke and Lily's PSA? Without coming off as a neanderthal?

I don't know what's worse....only using Kim to prop SexKittenKatie, or sticking her in the middle of Luke's story.

UGH.....hate*lobsterhate*jawsoflifehate Craig.

Someone should definitely school Parker on some of Hal's less-than-fatherfriendly actions. Hal always "did the right thing". Even if it meant putting his kids under arrest or in mental wards.

I don't like Carly and Janet being "friends".

Poor Jack.

• Members

Was anyone else completely disgusted when Paul cut himself on Monday? It was freaking gross and I can't think of a soul who would possibly want to watch a scene like that on ATWT. All so he can see Meg? Talk about nutso....

Dusty and Meg are okay- at least it's a step up from Paul. But why does Marie Wilson constantly whisper her lines? I find myself straining to hear her. It sucks because I LOVED Marie & Meg for her first year or so on the show. Ever since she fell for Paul, she's become intolerable and painful to watch. I wish we could get back to the old Meg but for now, she seems lost.

Lucy is annoying. Very annoying.

Paul & Emily are entertaining together, as usual. I loved the references to their history together and love even more that she didn't cut him.

Why oh why do I continue to have to suffer through Schulenberg's Alison? I've come to despise that character and absolutely hate her with Casey. Team Jade all the way. Has Marnie had chemistry with ANY of her leading men (sans Dylan Bruce's Chris, but he did the work on that one)?

• Members

Kim is so horribly misused by this show, I swear. If the Hughes family's younger generation wasn't gutted on this show, they could use her in more appropriate scenes. Besides, Casey, there are NO young Hughes people! The rest are all over 40! Why did they drop Chris? And would it be hard for them to look back just a few years and realize that Nancy has a granddaughter who would be in the late 20s/early 30s age range who has basically no history whatsoever?

• Members

I think I'm more dismayed than disgusted. Paul is just a friggin' mess, and TIIC do nothing to reel him in from this insanity. As far as I'm concerned, after some of the statements he made when kidnapping Eliza (all along the lines of "Meg doesn't deserve Eliza---to the point of I'll kill her rather than see Dusty raise her) the further Paul is from Eliza the better.

Dusty and Meg are relatively sane. That makes them better than 90% of the couples on the show.

I could think of a couple of Snyders that could go to make room for them....my first vote would be Brad/Katie/Libby, but I'm open to Holden, et al and/or Meg going too. There are just too many Snyders on the show. It's ridiculous that every couple has a Snyder half.

• Members

EXACTLY. Seriously, when they opened the box I really actually wanted it to be a bomb so they would blow up and we wouldn't be stuck watching.

The whole as-sine story isn't even BB/After school special/Tanner Family cheesy fun--it's beat you over the head with bad obvious writing, horrible acting and no point stories, but your made to be a horrible person for not loving every moment. As a gay person this whole storyline is MUCH more insulting that anything else daytime has done.

And side-note, the Luke ruffle of Noah's hair was the most patronizing, tacky thing to do there--it's like Noah was some 8 year old Luke was proud of.

Seriously, wanted it to be a bomb.

On to the rest---I like the uneasy friendship with Carly and Janet for this story, but am also looking forward to them fighting again cause that's fun. Maura West impresses me and makes me forget that damn V-day story.

I really want that--who knows if ATWT will give us the Hal history lesson, but especially after today I want Parker to really understand it all. It's the one thing missing from that story for me, which I actually otherwise enjoy.

And I know I'll get bricks, but I flove me some Craig and Carly.

• Members

Some days I wonder why they even bothered recasting Lily. I wanted to throw up when she went into her "our family's ignorance" spiel. DAYUM, woman, just admit you wanted to send your son to de-gaying camp. Not Damian, YOU.

LOL...Craig is sssssoooooooo.... useless. But I'll pray for your soul. ;)

• Members

Anyone wish Luke would be killed after being hit by that car? I sure do. I have had enough of Saint Luke and his lapdog Noah. How nauseating.

Poor Jack....when is someone going to smack the s h i t out of Parker. Can the driver that ran over Luke. Also run over Parker..Please

Archived