Krista Tesreau(Mindy) returns to GL!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not raining on GL's parade; I think it's great that fans are getting Mindy back - and I recall that Tesreau was very popular in the role.

But as for her relatively brief run as OLTL's Tina, coming from someone who knew and loved both Andrea Evans and Karen Witter in the role, I thought Tesreau fell short in the part. She seemed to be an unsuccessful attempt at a visual clone of Witter, and an even more unsuccessful attempt at a clone of Andrea Evans-style Tina traits. I felt she came off as what I call a "FAX-Tina." She just lacked that special something that was underneath the surface, a something that was a common thread possessed by both Evans and Witter... Unlike Witter's Tina, KT's version was eclipsed in scenes opposite Tina's then-archrival Blair. It was just so different in that respect.

It was very difficult for me as a viewer to ever empathize or "get" the character motivations of KT's Tina. I think that's because she didn't really get them, either. SOD hastily named her as best recast (after just a few months in the role), but it became obvious she was a miscast, and was moved to the backburner and written out not too long after.

It wasn't a case of Tesreau not being a great actress. KT was handed the Tina role without so much as a reading, let alone a screen-test. (Then-EP, Susan Bedsow Horgan - formerly a producer at GL, was friends with Tesreau and, one might say sort of arrogantly, thought she could successfully recast the role of Tina upon her own instincts.) But, especially looking at in hindsight, it was a case of a role miscast.

I look at KT's Tina as a competent seat warmer, but nothing special or overtly memorable. On the other hand, she totally "gets" GL's Mindy. She created her. Good for GL fans!

• Members

KT wasn't a good Tina (although I was annoyed Nelson Branco chose to belittle her for this when he announced she was returning to GL), but I have to put some blame on the writing. As soon as KT's Tina arrived, she fell into bed with David, whom she believed was her brother. That's a rough introduction for any recast. When David moved more into Dorian's orbit, Tina was left behind, because the show didn't care about Cord by that point. They had nothing left for her. I remember the dopey scenes of Tina wearing a fortune teller's outfit and carrying a crystal ball around as she talked about getting Todd's fortune. By this time on OLTL the writing was beginning to fail core characters and Tina is such a delicate character, she suffered. The bad writing for Tina on AE's return shows just how important proper material is for the character. Tina has been badly written for years and years. Even when she was offcamera, they made her out to be a terrible mother who abandoned her children.

• Members

I agree with you, CarlD2. The writing did not server her well. But putting it aside, and just rating her performance, I don't believe good writing could have made Tesreau work in the role, either.

However, you're totally on the mark with the insurmountable task they gave her when she debuted. "Okay, you're going to be hot for this guy, who you believe is your FULL brother... and then you're going to have sex with him... more than once." It's like Malone & company decided, Tina is now a desperate, mega-stupid whore. Revisionist history has since implied that her relationship with David had her in on his scheme from day one (as if she didn't sleep with him until after he revealed he was not her brother). That's not how it went, but I completely understand why TPTB would want it that way...

You are also right about how they further wrecked her off-screen (also ignited by Malone & company when they returned in 2003). Then the writing, to me quite shockingly, failed Tina upon Evans' return last year. TPTB owe both Evans and viewers a meaculpa and revised "comeback" for Tina.. this time a triumphant one, where Tina comes out on top (like we know she is supposed to).

Okay, sorry for the mild hijack. Yay for KT's return to GL! :)

Archived