OLTL question

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hagen trashed the hell out of the show. But then I've always heard that she was Difficult, period. I believe she also had nothing but contempt for Robert Mulligan's classic thriller The Other, and her star role in it.

As for Marco, all I know about his later years is that he loved and lost Edwina Lewis, daughter of Ivan Kipling, he of the robot hand, who was reduced in his later years to prowling around a haunted house and ordering the neighboring teen squad (Cassie, Rob Coronal, Josh Hall, etc.) to get off his lawn.

• Members

At first I thought you meant Richard Mulligan.

I know about the stuff with Edwina, and that he had some comedy stories with his secretary, played by Christine Ebersole, and then I remember the photo of him involved somehow in the story with story with Jenny and David's exit, I think, but that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was looking through a Digest from the time of the 85-86 Daytime Emmys, when they were predicting winners. I can't remember the exact wording, but they basically trashed the committee for nominating her, and said they had a tough time even remembering who she'd played. Then they saw that she was Hortense, had tried a scam, and was on for 4 days. They called up OLTL to ask about this nomination and they said the OLTL people were laughing in disbelief that she was nominated. SOD also said they didn't know why Judith Anderson or Eileen Herlie were nominated, as they rarely appeared during that timeframe. Then for the predictions, they said they WANTED Leann Hunley to win, but they THOUGHT Hagen would, as, again paraphrasing, "The Emmys might as well continue the joke."

• Members

Robert Mulligan's brother--he directed To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. Funny, on my DVD of The Other the few quotes from Uta are very favourable. I do know that she was a big theatre snob--prob partly because her early attempts at translating her theatre fame for the movies met with the repeated critique that she was simply too ugly to be a leading lady in movies like she was on Broadway (I have the original 4 LP "cast album" for the original cast of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolfe and she's simply *awesome*). I'm sure that snobbism translated even more so to soaps--funny as many people think she was one of the best people in the theatre to work with.

And wow, that seems a bit harsh for SOD--of course it's better than now when SOD sucks ass to everyone and anything.

Archived