Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, I'm sorry, but I refuse to pick battles with Trump.  In my mind, picking battles means compromising.  That's something that, quite frankly, we cannot afford to do with this dictator-in-waiting, on anything.

It isn't about Gorsuch and it isn't even about payback for Merrick Garland.  It's about not giving into Trump, win or lose, now or ever.  Because if the Democrats give in even once, they will never stop.

Okay.  But don't be surprised if we get to that point and the Democrats don't have anything, not even their precious filibuster, to stop him, because they've compromised away everything and basically handed the rest of the country over to fascism.  Don't be surprised if this opening gambit on Trump's part to dupe the Democrats (with a Scalia replacement, something that, on the surface, doesn't seem like a big deal) leads ultimately to the right AND the left lookin' gobsmacked as Trump and Bannon have duped them right into a totalitarian regime where they, and they alone, control everything and neither the Dems nor the GOP have a hand in anything.

(You know how much I love y'all...but I'm just gonna have to disagree here.)

Frankly, I say, take away the damn filibuster.  It's the difference between fighting with something to lose and fighting with nothing to lose.  Maybe it won't change anything in the end, but maybe it'll stop the Democrats from being cautious and willing to give Trump an inch on anything he does.  Who knows?  Without things like filibusters to fall back on, they might be forced to work a little harder in getting more voices on their side.  (It's a thought anyway.)

• Members

In theory I agree, but honestly at this point it doesn't matter if Democrats say no to everything - they aren't in power. They aren't going to win most fights. The confirmation battle over Betsy DeVos, where she is thisclose to being the first nominee rejected by a President's party in Congress since 1925, shows what happens when battles are picked IMO. To me Gorsuch isn't worth the distraction when so much worse is here and is coming. But that's just me.

• Members

I guess I'm like one of those "radical left-wing extremists," lol.  

I don't want Congress to "work with" Trump and his goons, just as I didn't want to "wait and see" about what he'd do once in office or "give him a chance."  And I don't want to hold off on fighting him HERE because I think it'd be more to the left's advantage to fight him THERE.

I want the liberals and moderates to fight Trump HERE and THERE and everywhere else.  I want them all to block (or try to block) the crap out of everything he even THINKS of doing, regardless of whatever some think it'll cost them; and when and where they can't block, I want them to make it known to all who are paying attention that they couldn't block him AND WHY.

In short, I want the Democrats and everyone else on their side to say "No."  Every. Damn. Time.  No exceptions, no excuses.

Like I said before, this is not politics as usual.  This is war against the forces of fascism, and it's being fought in the WH, on Capitol Hill and across this country.  

The Democrats didn't bring the war, the GOP did.  But if it's war the GOP wanted back in 2008, it's war they should have now.  And if it all ends with the Democratic Party dead and American democracy gone and forgotten, then I, for one, want to know that the party I sided with once I DID choose a side fought the good fight.