The Politics Thread

• Members

But Texas has oil and gas jobs for 100 years. Why the sudden increase in job growth? I think it has to do with the friendly business environment.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/368705/why-texas-growing-and-illinois-isnt-michael-barone

The shale boom has obviously helped Texas, but it’s far from the sole cause of its strength. Its economy is highly diversified, to the point that it’s gaining high-tech jobs from Silicon Valley. From September 2007 to November 2013, while the nation lost 1.8 million jobs, Texas gained 1.1 million. Texas’s public policies — low taxes, light regulation — have clearly paid off.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I recently read an article that quote a few Tea Party Republicans who claim they intend to force the main party conservatives to emphasize what they see as their main platform, which does not include compromise with the Democrats-- even if this means another government shutdown.

I'm convinced that some just do not want the government to remain anything but dysfunctional simply because there are indeed some who benefit from this dysfunction and paralysis.

My question to Greg is that if Texas is so great, why are there so many Texans living in NYC? Seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone from Ohio or Texas! I guess those people do not work in the oil industry.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Most people already know that during the recession the NY area, NYC lost some of its population during the recession. Ij fact many companies that moved out in the wake of the September 11th terrorist attacks, have quietly moved back in the last few years.

I'd be interested to know what the next Census says about population growth, although that still has little to do with my original statement.

• Members

If I had to choose between living in Texas and NYC, I would choose Texas in a heartbeat. When you're a young adult it really doesn't matter, but at some point having a house and raising a family become very difficult in NYC, unless you are doing very well. Most of my extended family has managed, but mostly because they inherited a brownstone or other property. They certainly could never have afforded to buy in that market.

• Members

Hi dere. Hope everyone is good.

Well, IMO,when 2/3rd of the country doesn't vote, and Dems show their gutlessness once again by running from POTUS and not running on minimum wage increase nationally and keeping the ACA, and not touting the great gains over the last 6 years they deserved to lose. But, everything will flip back in less than two years when the Republicans show once again why this version of them is just a really bad party.

Republicans rely on very low turnout and Dems did nothing this entire year to get out the vote. When Americans vote, Republicans do very poorly.

Edited by Roman

• Members

NYC vs Texas? We are healthier in NY. While TX has family values NYers don't divorce as much as the so-called heartland. We are better educated, don't allow Jesus freaks to tell us what should be in text books. We don't all walk around with rifles and submachine guns, and we don't demand that all poor people go to back alleys with wire hangers.

We don't deny science, we don't sneer at people who go to college, we don't execute everyone including seemingly jaywalkers. We don't seek to deny everyone healthcare. Our crime rates are the lowest in the nation. We see Sarah Palin is the freak that she is, not someone to emulate.

Why anyone would choose Texas is beyond me.

• Members

But then you'd have to live in Texas. Real estate is always cheaper in places that are less attractive. It's supply and demand. It costs a fortune to live in NYC because millions of people want to live in NYC. But comparing the city of New York to the entire state of Texas is apples and oranges.

And getting back to the oil/gas boom, housing prices and rent in cities with big fracking operations have exploded. The rents in a small North Dakota town are higher than NYC. Of course with that boom and population has come crime and drugs. You know, that stuff "real" Americans a.k.a. Republicans like to blame on minorities and godless liberals. Then in a few years when the gas is gone and the gas companies have pulled out, there will still be crime and drugs - which get worse because there will be no jobs - and somehow the people left behind will find a way to blame minorities and Democrats instead of the corporations that left them with undrinkable water and undriveable roads

When you choose a place to live, there are a lot of factors involved. I love NYC but I wouldn't want to live there unless I had the money. I wouldn't live in Texas even if I won the megamillions.

My company's NY office is moving to the new building at Ground Zero and honestly, they're going to have to replace a lot of employees because a lot of them can't stand the idea of working on what is essentially a mass grave. Even the discussions of the move make some people sick.

• Members

Re: the people at your company, I can't blame them. I remember the first time I took the subway into Brooklyn a year after 9/11 (I'd avoided the area for several months-- I didn't believe one word out of that lying Giuliani's mouth when he claimed the air was safe) and I looked down into the dark hole where the WTC used to be. My heart sank.

Condé Nast, I know is the first occupant of the building. I wonder how their employees truly feel about this.

I don't know whether anyone caught Chris Rock's dark humor on the subject but what he's expressing was probably what a lot of people are feeling but don't want to risk offending anyone in saying. It will probably take a lot of doing but who knows? There are some people who will think "a job's a job" and take work there. And if I'm honest, I have to admit that although I have reservations about working in that building, somehow I don't have reservations about taking the subway that runs directly underneath it. I know...go figure.

• Members

I have one colleague in the NY office who has pretty much been beside herself ever since the firm announced that we would move the office there and she's not alone. There have already been a few who left the firm and they mentioned in their exit interview that they wanted to get out before the move because they couldn't bring themselves to work there. I have no doubt that when the move actually comes the employee assistance program will be working overtime but the bottom line is that the property is cheap and we could get all the space we need.

I didn't see Chris Rock's SNL but from what I've read online he did what he does best: told the truth.

Edited by marceline

• Members

Well, luckily Texas and NYC aren't our only choices, but I don't think politics has all that much to do with what makes either place attractive as a place to live. At least not to me. It has a lot more to do with money and affordability. I wouldn't live in Texas if I hit the megamillions, but I'd have to hit the megamillions to live in NYC at this stage of my life. I'm well past the age of roomates or paying thousand of dollars for an apartment. I wouldn't even consider sending my kids to a public school there.

I can't blame them, but I'd be even more worried about another attack. It almost seems inevitable that it's going to be a terrorist target in the future. Obviously, I hope that isn't the case.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Looks like John Boehner won't rule out another government shutdown if the President takes any form of executive action on the immigration issue. And Senator Ted Cruz does not have cooperation in mind on anything. House Republicans suggested doing piecemeal legislation (oh no, that won't take forever) but like health care reform, they have yet to present anything substantial or of substance. So let's leave things and people in limbo and fail to know who is in this country since many undocumented won't step out of the shadows. I'm sure it's great for national security as well. And throw in another government shutdown for good measure-- everyone will really appreciate that.ph34r.png

And the dysfunction continues...

• Members

If Obama takes executive action, then there will be a flood of new illegal immigrants arriving and hoping for the same amnesty. Borders need to be secured before any immigration reform. Right now, borders are not secure.

I am a child of immigrants who arrived legally, waiting 10 years for green card, then more years for naturalization. It isn't fair for illegal immigrants to skip the line and not follow the rules.

Edited by GregNYC