The Politics Thread

• Members

I might be way off-base here, but I think Biden and his administration had no other choice BUT to act after SCOTUS had granted Trump blanket immunity for all illegal and unethical acts he had committed while he still was in the WH.  I mean, what else COULD you do after the highest court in our land has basically said the president is no longer a president but a king?

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: this is all due to our having the audacity to elect a member of the Ooga Booga Tribe as our leader.  White America just. Can't. Cope.

Exactly.

• Replies 43.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@ErrolI'm not the least bit confused between reel life and real life. I said what I meant and meant what I said. This being real life, wishes have no actual impact on reality. Of course, I won't post a similar sentiment in the future out of my respect for you and the rules.

• Members

I hope not either. I know someone who has repeatedly had COVID and has had hearing loss as a result, even as she has had the best access to care. People keep downplaying COVID but it's still out there. At least Jill will be there and hopefully all is well.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I still wear a mask around the city. Covid is no joke still to this day.

Some(not posters here) have made comments elsewhere about what happened this past Saturday and have gotten fired for it.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

While I have loosened up somewhat, I still (to a lot of people's stares) wear my mask at my main job. I still interact with so many people and work with people with conditions that I don't want to risk them getting anything off me or me getting it. 

I wish our President well, and may encouraged to keep on wearing. 

• Members

It’s a shame how wearing a mask became political. I still wear mine in public spaces but I am seeing people on planes, trains and buses unmasked with the numbers going up. Another friend lost his father recently from COVID, he had underlying health issues but still…

• Members

Yeah, the things this virus can do to people is wild. Then you have people who get it and it's nothing more than a cold or even asymptomatic. With any luck Biden will be one of those. We're lucky researchers were able to come up with a vaccine so quickly.

• Members
Posted (edited)

As of tonight, the heavyweight count is up to Schumer, Jeffries and now Pelosi who have all allegedly spoken to Biden re: stepping down.

I personally do not love the idea of swapping out the candidate. I think Joe Biden remains our best shot against Trump and to win, I think a lot of the quiet base remains steadily behind him and I think the polls and numbers for Biden against Trump are also much tighter than people often assume. But in certain states I have concerns. At the same time I don't think the campaign has handled the last couple weeks or this internal revolt very well, though I think much of what has gone down with Biden has been external bullshít and bedwetting backbenchers eager to leak to the press.

What concerns me most though is Pelosi. Unlike anyone else we could potentially cite, Nancy is no access-driven lightweight or fly-by-night operator. She is the old school. The only thing I know that has ever driven her is the bottom line: Winning. If she expresses concern about the path to win, that's something that gives me pause. As much as I hate all of this and I think it's disgusting how he's been treated bc the press is bored and misses the access nihilism of Trump.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm wary of the Pelosi claims as she has denied this (more firmly than Schumer did, whose response was essentially, "I said what I said"), but given how close she is to Adam Schiff, I don't think he would have called for Biden dropping out if she hadn't been OK with it. 

Given that Biden's polling has not changed significantly post-debate, and I think Kamala Harris will do the same or possibly worse (if they want to win they might have to try to also get her not to run, which would open up a huge can of worms), I still feel like the Democrats who want him out are burning a lot of time and energy just to lose harder, but then I don't think they would be so adamant about this if there weren't some reason. I don't think it's just the media, vile as the media is, getting to them. There are claims of private polling being bad not just for Biden but dragging down House and Senate races. That would not be a surprise to me, although some movement to Republicans is likely anyway as they have always overperformed when Trump is on the ballot.

There's also the donor issue (sorry, but yes, it still seems to be an issue):

https://deadline.com/2024/07/jeffrey-katzenberg-joe-biden-2024-election-1236013665/

And there was a disoriented call with members of Congress that would have been a big story on Saturday if not for another event:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-held-tense-call-group-house-democrats-concerns/story?id=112033463

I think Biden has been treated horribly by the media all along, because he doesn't kiss their asses and doesn't make them money.  And there are clearly still parts of the campaign where he can be effective, even powerful, like rallies and certain interview moments. But we're at the point now where enough people who aren't just deluded, bitter figures or attention seekers have been maneuvering that I do wonder what is going on with Biden behind the scenes and how many in the party were shielded from it until the debate.

Edited by DRW50

• Members
Posted (edited)

I believe her office said she hasn't spoken to Biden since Friday. That's not a denial. I don't buy that she was behind Schiff's rash and foolish move though. That's not something I feel she'd get behind, and she explicitly put it out there today that his statement was news to her.

The head to head polling on Biden v. Trump is tightening again, which is good for us. And a lot of the Senate numbers I have seen are pretty strong, I'm not sure about the House. The problems for Biden are Biden's, and right now they are both internal (party conflict, campaign reaction) and external (media), which hack away at what is working. I'm not sure I buy these reports of disoriented calls with members which are skewed through Politico, etc. I think a lot of that is down to who is leaking to them. But whatever any of us believe or don't believe it doesn't change the fact that this endless bloodletting and constant state of revolt and defense is bad. Functioning like this for another 3+ months is not sustainable.

I still think Joe is our best shot against Trump, and as always I think people underestimate the base's love for him as well as more of the country than is counted on. I also don't think he is mentally unfit for office (although he is clearly more fatigued than he's ever been before). I think the claims of a conspiracy of silence re: senility are largely opportunism and access bitchery from people looking to settle scores or get clout. But that doesn't change any of what I said above about the problems. If the administration could cauterize all of these internal and external issues and put it all to bed I think we'd have a pretty good shot as is. I'm just not sure that they can. And I don't think Pelosi is a typical flighty alarmist either. It's difficult to know what to do.

I do know that if it's anyone other than Joe it will be Kamala. Attempting anyone else would be suicide.

Edited by Vee