Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

https://apnews.com/politics/massachusetts-utah-general-news-e80ae66f9572ddcdcc63a666913be886

Mitt Romney is retiring, and as always offering a whole lot of "both sides" nothingness. 

The Atlantic is publishing excerpts from a biography on him including his attempts to form a third party with Manchin, his disdain for JD Vance, et al.

• Members

Some good news from New Hampshire. Democrats won a special election (in a Trump district no less) and are likely to win another in November as that one is in a Dem district. If they win that one, they will have a tie in the state house. NH's legislature always goes back and forth, but still, this is a reminder that in swing states, a lot of people aren't listening to the media hype about how Trump is a god and Biden is old and worthless. 

NH state House election results: Northwood, Nottingham (wmur.com)

• Members

I am going to use the Nixon mantra - The Silent Majority. The most underreported story the past so many years is the grassroots efforts on the democratic side which exploded when Trump got elected. They are much more organized now and this is without phony grassroots efforts like The Tea Party and Moms for Liberty taking up all the oxygen in the media. Imagine being a school board voter or meeting attendee and listening or reading about these wackjobs spewing garbage about book banning, diversity, teaching history, and trans kids being the biggest danger when gun violence is the bigger danger to kids, as one example. This is what the silent majority is hearing. Grassroots organizers have done a phenomenal job organizing against this and recruiting candidates. The democratic party in Illinois has recognized this and for the first time gave money and support to local races in Illinois this past spring. It's time the national party does the same thing.

One of my colleagues on the local Sustainability Commission  I am a member of, regularly challenged one of these nuts running for the school board in the local high school district publicly along with many other people. He lost of course and ended up coming to a commission meeting to spew his pathetic victim complex towards her at one of our meetings during the public comment section after he lost. A pathetic weak display. He got backlash when he ran which escalated after that display at our meeting. Numbers opposing make a difference and when enough people stood up he slithered back under the rock he came out from.

People need to stop giving the media so much power. If anything 2022 and how pathetic and wrong they were should tell a whole lot of people something and whos paying attention to the garage they spew. The MSM is worse than Fox because they fake being allies and unbiased. They are anything but and most people pay very little attention.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Normally, I detest the idea of Democrats being primaried but Menendez has been on the edge of full-blown scandal for at least a decade and due to his rank within the Senate, has been a potential political liability for awhile now. I have been waiting for this corruption damn to burst for years but now we’re on the eve of a president election year. What timing.

• Members

I'm definitely not looking forward to this possible government shutdown. I'm one that would be considered an excepted employee and would have to work without pay. My agency recently announced we will definitely continue to work throughout a shutdown. Plus, I have a few days leave scheduled right around the time that the shutdown may happen and my leave will be cancelled if the shutdown goes through. I was reading rules about how paid annual (and also sick) leave work during a shutdown and none of it is favorable. We have to cancel leave and will be considered AWOL if we don't show up. Unless our bosses get creative with the schedule or put us in furlough status for unpaid leave.

I think there might be a chance they could get creative with mine and that I could possibly still get the days off for leave that I wanted. Though, I'm not sure if my bosses will agree to do that for me. I hope they will.

I have a couple of co-workers who have more complicated dilemmas with their leave. One has at least all of next week scheduled off for his birthday (I believe he's supposed to go to Vegas). And the other has at least a week to two weeks scheduled off for a surgery. A potential shutdown definitely puts both of them in a bind as they technically wouldn't be allowed to take their leave. I hope things work out and that we can all take our leave. 

I also live in an area where there is a large military presence, and it would be bad if they have to go without pay. Hopefully somehow Congress will prevent the government from being shutdown and we won't have to deal with the many problems that a shutdown will cause. Though things are looking very shaky and it seems likely that we will have one. If it happens, I hope we get out of it as soon as possible.

Edited by xtr