The Politics Thread

• Members

She made several mistakes. But her election in 2020 was not really close. In Illinois she was headlining a fundraising event for Dan Lipinski and it was Pelosi who apparently told her to back out because well Lipinski. Newman won that race and since that was big news here in Illinois, it basically killed her own ambitions which was the rumor that they were grooming her for Durbin's senate seat. Of course he just got re-elected.

A lot of people were high on her especially after Trump won in 2020 and he won her district.  She was well liked by the district and grew up in the district. I've heard some talking about her as the next Speaker I never bought it. But with the loss of a congressional seat and re-mapping happening, her seat might have been absorbed into another district. I am anticipating the GOP losing one of their seats in Illinois but with the re-alignment, she might have been left out in the cold.  And Underwood is a star.  That idiot Oberweiss is still challenging her seat and she won by a few thousand votes. Ridiculous. he's lost almost everything he's run for.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@JaneAusten thanks for giving more details.

I think it was already mentioned, but there has been a recount of the 2020 results going on in Arizona, by some shady "Cyber Ninja" organization from Florida that no one seems to know anything about, and which is backed up by lunatics of the highest order, obsessed with fantasies of Antifa bombing their building, convinced that a nearby carnival is a ruse to get them, on and on.

A former state legislator who lost his 2020 race is even involved. Oh, and he was also at the Capitol on January 6th.

The likes of Joe Manchin will put these people in charge of our entire country. 

• Members

Democrats had a mixed (and in some places, very poor) night in Texas elections Saturday. That ended up leading me to an article about why Republicans are gaining ground with Hispanics in South Texas; someone excerpted a part which doesn't surprise me:

This goes in hand with propaganda leading to a spike in anti-Semitism among Hispanics in Miami:

There's a lot of talk about how more Hispanics are voting for the GOP because of being "tough," or social issues, or "protecting the border," but in many cases it is because of vile propaganda being pumped into their homes, workplaces and churches. That is taboo to discuss and little seems to be done to combat it, similar to all the stories of young men becoming hatemongers because Youtube leads them to Ben Shapiro and Prager U.

• Members

The GOP has been all over hispanic media. No counter to it. Sinclair also owns local stations all over the country that pumps into small town America. It's not all social media.

But we also have to stop looking at hispanics as one group. They are not a monolith. I heard this from a friend who is Puerto Rican. Florida is a perfect example of this. Yeah the democratic party is still a mess in Florida but politics being local is what it's about. She said that despite the national rhetoric, Puerto Ricans are helped a lot when they travel from there to Florida. The Republicans have a huge structure in Florida to help people from PR get settled in their state. 

Texas democrats should be better positioned to counter this with the infrastructure they have there compared to Florida so frankly there is no excuse for this.

But I also don't trust the NY Times reporting on any of this as they have been wrong about so much. This is where having little or no legit local reporting hurts. There were stories on Georgia about how people overestimated the impact of grassroots work in Georgia and how it was still solid red despite their work weeks before the general elections.

Edited by JaneAusten
Clean up merged posts

• Members

I'm less concerned about her so called rhetoric than I am about Chris Coons running all over the media saying how they need to pass this plan in stages. If they do this they will get killed in the midterms and then nothing gets done.

Exactly and they are doing what to counter this? If you aren't going to work local media you better have grassroots traction all over. The unions democrats used to rely on for local messaging doesn't exist like they used to.

• Members

Coons also recently tried to use post-Jan 6 unity as a reason to not release vaccine patents, which made me cringe.

I know he has a strong voice in Biden's ear, but I'm sure Biden will make his own decisions. I just feel like the messaging and strategy for so much of these bills is becoming a dumpster fire. Maybe that was always going to be the case with 50 seats and I should just be happy we got another stimulus, I don't know.