The Politics Thread

• Members

It has been a struggle in the last few days to see a lot of negativity and condescension popping up all around social media. One of the examples I've seen came from not a Trump supporter, but a Bernie one...

As some background, she thinks that, firstly, Bernie was robbed of the DNC nomination (this can be debated until the cows come home, rightly or wrongly). She also buys into the whole Hillary-is-a-criminal meme stuff, but hates Trump with a passion.

When news started coming up about the protests around the US against Trump's election, she totally lost it and said that she couldn't understand why people were so upset about Hillary not getting elected (Bernie would have won, etc etc). And she went to say that those who were hit the hardest by the election result (some to the point where they actually felt ill and couldn't go to work/school the next day) needed to "GROW A F***ING PAIR AND SUCK IT UP!!". And this was coming from a woman who has Native American heritage.

The complete lack of empathy on her part just horrified me to the bone and I actually had to say to her "maybe just back off a little bit, these people have been hit really hard and they need to grieve. At least allow them that space to do that". But that fell on deaf ears.

I'm thankful for places like Pantsuit Nation which has been bringing people together with their stories of inspiration and hope (but also as a safe space for people to vent and let their feelings show at a time where we need to support each other together).

Edited by OzFrog

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There was an article at either HuffPost or Politico or one of those sites, which said Bill Clinton tried to get the campaign to go into the rustbelt but the know it alls ignored him.   He told them more than once they needed a message for white working class, but they thought they had enough with what they had.    I don't know how Hillary could allow them to ignore Bill.   Handlers come and go, but he is her partner for life and he is no fool.  I think it was in the Times or somewhere that Bill sensed what was coming a while ago, and that's why he said what he did about Obamacare and started calling Hillary the real change agent.

• Members

Yeah, I heard about that a few days ago. I always felt it was a mistake to completely disconnect Bill. Keep him in check, yes, but the man is a political genius. Problem is I don't know how much appetite the public will have for him in days to come.

Hillary will become a martyr to women, as she should, and people will fight and win in her name. But the Clintons may need a break.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Good. I have a friend whose boyfriend is obsessed with that guy. He was always posting his articles and stuff all over the place and it was always vile and rubbish.

The white nationalists of Australia were out again today in their new quest to Make Australia Great Again. Apparently they're really hoping for concentration camps to come back (for all the Muslims/Jews/Gays/Blacks of course) and think Australia and America should bomb the Middle East out of existence. 

• Members

I had to turn The Age and Guardian off my social media as well. The Guardian especially seems quite eager to bring this same stuff here. I couldn't take them anymore.

I've seen these same 4 or 5 people in Sydney twice now (both times at Bondi of all places) and I'm just like why? Thankfully everyone I know and everyone out in public seems to be just as repulsed as I am to see them out and about. 

I'm more annoyed and upset with people like Pauline Hanson, George Christensen, Malcolm Roberts, and Cory Bernardi (let's see if he really stays in America) being so delighted and galvanised by this. I'm already traumatised by Hanson being given a platform yet again that I don't think I can take having her movement gaining any more traction. 

• Members

I'm so glad that quote will follow Les Moonves for the rest of his career. 

I remember Bill going to places like West Virginia. I think he had the right idea but I don't think he or Hillary (or Tim Kaine, much as I respect the man) could have sold it. I'm not sure who could have. Probably someone like Jon Tester, possibly.

• Members

I personally liked his thanks yous to Jill Stein and Gary Johnson. I hope the people like Susan Sarandon that just had to vote for them are proud of themselves.

Meanwhile, Marine Le Pen is on BBC says her, Nigel Farage, and Donald Trump are starting and leading "a new world" to replace this one. I can only assume by new world she means where with only WASPy Aryan people since everyone else is dirty and nasty to all three of them.

Also, can someone please to me why I just saw Sky News claim that Sarah Palin is going to be in Trump's administration and that Ted Cruz is maybe going to be on the Supreme Court? I mean, I guess anything is possible now but neither of those have a real chance of happening right? 

• Members

Unfortunately some Dems came to see Bill as a liability and his personal/sexual history as anathema. Obviously the Republicans didn't feel the same about their candidate. 

I remember in particular, a Sanders supporter, kvetching about Hillary touting her husband's economic accomplishments in the late 1990s. Some were saying that Hillary needed to stop leaning on her husband and stand on her own brand. Well, obviously the 53% of White women who voted for Trump are perfectly fine with leaning on a man.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DramatistDreamer