Y&R: Week of November 10, 2008

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't you think the screaming is a bit much over a kiss? Finding out a loved one died I can see a scream like that, but a kiss? Phyllis has been on the other end twice when other women found out she cheated with their husbands so should she be that torn up because she now happens to be on the other end. And she hasn't seen any more than a kiss. It's not like she walked in on them in bed. I get her being mad, but the scream of pure agony seemed a bit much.

Still, I am looking forward to some good work by Michelle Stafford over this storyline though.

I certainly think the show has rebounded from under LML, but I would like to see better stories for other veterans also. It is good that they are finally using Katherine and Jill in a great story making use of the terrific dynamic between Katherine, Jill and Nikki but I still feel a bit Newmaned out at times.

I know some could care less, but although I am a veteran watcher my favorite character has been Michael Baldwin for a long time and I don't think Maria or Hogan have done much for him or his character. Even this so called Michael story about his father is quickly turning into yet another Gloria story. Tracey Bregman's Lauren is treated like wall paper and Doug Davidson has completely disappeared again.

So while I agree that the show is light years better, I can't quite feel the joy others feel as my favorites don't seem to be getting the same type of care and effort by the writers as other veterans. I hope that will change but with this ramping up of yet another Newman story and the Shick kiss I feel I will be in for another five day a week Newman and Quad show and my personal favorites will be lucky to be on twice a week supporting other's storylines. Thank goodness I am enjoying Katherine's story so much.

• Members

Hopefully the Eden recast makes the role a lot more likeable, less abrasive, and annoying. I've always thought that Eden COULD be an alright character, it was just the actress who was beyond terrible that killed the role. Judging by what I've seen of the recast (Vanessa Marano), she is a lot more warmer, cuter, and subtle.

• Members

There's a lot to love about this whole Paris storyline but I find the most enjoyable thing to be ASHLEY and Victor! I never really understood the relationship between these two. I know they have a child together (Abby) and I've always known that Jack hated the fact that Ashley and Victor had this special connection but I never really understood the chemistry between the two of them or what made them so special.

Now I do.

I loved how Ashley talked to Victor and got him to eat. I loved her pleading with him by the river towards the end of the episode and the kiss itself. Very sweet and tender. I never really cared for Sabrina but for the first time I truly did understand just how hollow and depressed Victor felt.

Eric Braeden (sorry if I misspelled his name) is doing a great job of portraying Victor's emotions. It's very subtle and it probably won't get any type of recognition but it shocks me every time I look at him. Clearly there's a man who feels like he's lost everything.

Anyways I'm rooting for Ashley and Victor now. Much as I love that fierce b*tch they call Nikki Newman I think the ship has sailed for her and Victor.

And where did you guys hear that they're recasting Eden? Just when they were starting to show the softer side of her they replace the actress (who I thought was improving dramatically).

Sharon and Nick are so cheesy it just makes me want to vomit. God help us all if they reunite. Although I am looking forward to Phyllis' reaction to the whole thing.

And Kevin as much as I love the guy is just boring me to death. This storyline is coming out of nowhere it seems like...why is all of sudden obsessed with money? Is this really all they could find for him?

• Members

Wow! I can faintly hear Elton John singing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" while reading your gushes about how good Y&R is. And I cannot agree more. The drama is there, the love, the intrigue - it's all there. They're fixing casting mistakes. And just trimming the fat and tightening everything up. The thing I remember about watching Y&R in it's glory days was that it's all about the aftermath and seeing where s/l's would go after they exploded. Kay/Marge fallout will probably play out into the new year.

I have one small quibble tho and i'm sure it's been said b4 but I wish we could've gotten a bit more mileage out of Marge. for those of us who watched the s/l 20 years ago (my memory's a bit hazy of it but i remember Marge telling Clint how scared she was that she was gonna rip Rex to shreds in bed cause Kay keeps her rings on when she does the dance without pants. i was hoping for more of that with a switcheroo again but I guess it's for the best. And makes sense cause Marge really respects Kay now and wouldn't have done the switch without Kay being in on it and that wouldn't have made a lot of sense, imo.

i hope they come up with something really interesting for the Winters cause this s/l is going in a boring direction. Again, it's been said bfore, but rather than miss Malcom i miss Dru...i really do. This show is popping fine without her, but I'd love to see what the writing team in place now would write for her. I've realized why we don't see many benevelent, young patriarchs on soaps cause it's hard to drive story for them. Neil is lost without a strong female lead - he's the water and he needs fire. Tyra and Karen are just TOO nice. And then they bring the queen of nice, Olivia back! Yes there's civil conflict between Tyra and Karen and it's on the low-heat burner for now, and we don't really know why Olivia's in town yet (Ashley needs a sounding board, i guess) but I think you get my point. There just has to be someone who can come in (if not Dru) and stir up the pot. Right now, the Winters s/l is more like the Waltons.

• Members

It's in the spoiler section (with the link to the original articles), VJAB. And I agree - the actress playing Eden has improved on-air, but we don't know how tough it is to get a final take of the scenes when they're taping to get to the finished product. I suspect it might take longer than shooting scenes should take, especially on the grueling schedule soaps have. Same thing happened with Craig Lawlor on ATWT - the finished product was always well-liked by fans, but from what I understand, it took a long time to get to that point during taping.

• Members

Now I can't get Elton out of my mind.

I kind of thought the same thing, esp. since they were starting to hint at the "sisters" thing. (That can still continue. Marge COULD be an unknown twin...and if they do genetic tests on the deceased that might be revealed. We know nothing about her. What if she had kids and grandkids. That would be a great way to build the Chancellor "distaff" side! Indeed, Marge could have had children or grandchildren of color...which would further imbue racial and ethnic diversity into the Chancellor clan. I'd enjoy that.

I did find Marge had a sweet vulnerability this time, and I would have liked to see more of her. But I'm glad they didn't plow old trails, retelling the story of "spitfire" Marge. This was a beaten Marge, and previews suggest they are actually going to pile on the pathos after...well..whatever happens. In some ways, it lets Marge leave our memories with a more poignant and sweeter feeling than she did two decades ago. Plus, if they do build a family for her, her tale can always be told in flashbacks.

Realistically, how long could octogenarian Cooper play a dual role? From a health and energy perspective?

I agree. I think, classic Bell style, the Winters are on 'slow build'. We'll see there story start to boil after the current high drama passes.

I think Olivia could be a darker more Dru-like character if they wanted.

Finally, at least the Winters are ON camera sometimes. They could always be like poor Doug Davidson's Paul.

If I had my way, the returning

• Members

When a genre is dying it is just so satisfying to see a show getting as good as it was 20+ years ago. AND- with alot of the same actors and characters!

I think even something as small as the background music- it sonically brings viewers back-which heightens the experience.

Its downright trippy!

And the production is visually so appealing.

Eric Braeden is actually one of my favorite actors in films, daytime, or primetime.

His life experience shows on his face and in his acting. I have always been a huge fan.

• Members

I am the first proponent against all caps use but this is absolutely necessary...

CANADIAN Y&R FANS, PLEASE POST YOUR RECAPS OF THE DAY'S EPISODE IN [ETA: SPOILER TAGS (I was so incensed that I didn't even realize what I was writing lol)]. I DID NOT WANT TO KNOW THAT SHARON KISSED NICK DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANTED TO SEE IT.

It's the least you can do for a fellow Y&R fan.

I love Y&R but every time I see the young cast, I cringe. And the Cane/Lily age difference really didn't bother me at first but now that

, he's gonna seem like a pedophile, considering Lily wasn't even born when Phillip III died.

Anyway, I hope they do something about the younger cast. They're an open, smelly lesion. On OLTL, Kay Alderson and Brandon Buddy have improved dramatically in the last year. Whatever those two are doing, some of the younger Y&R cast needs to do. They're obviously not gonna be fired so someone needs to step in and make them work harder. They're clearly sitting on their laurels. And the addition of finer actors in recent months have made their performances even poorer in comparison.

• Members

Anyway, I hope they do something about the younger cast. They're an open, smelly lesion. On OLTL, Kay Alderson and Brandon Buddy have improved dramatically in the last year. Whatever those two are doing, some of the younger Y&R cast needs to do. They're obviously not gonna be fired so someone needs to step in and make them work harder. They're clearly sitting on their laurels. And the addition of finer actors in recent months have made their performances even poorer in comparison.

A smelly lesion! lollll

That's how I feel about OLTL's younger cast.

Hmmmm. I find Y&R's younger set pretty solid. They don 't seem amateurish.

I totally agree about Brandon Buddy- but disagree about Kay Alden, aka Kristen Alderson. lol

• Members

I had to laugh at the French Model telling Phyllis she can't walk because she's been in 4 inch heals all day. Guess they didn't know when writing the script that Ashley would be shown running all around Paris looking for Victor in 6 inch stilettos.

As for the younger set, for the most part they are very solid and entertaining. Heck, I even like Amber and when she was on B&B she annoyed the hell out of me. Mainly because I hate baby bait storylines and that's all Amber did. For some reason although Chloe's doing the baby bait thing, it is entertaining me, probably because it leaves Lily miserable and Chloe's in love with the real baby daddy.

Archived