AMC: Bobby Martin

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the lack of history is what makes Bobby that much more of a viable character. The only thing we really know about him is that he skis. Maybe he is a former athlete past his prime, who returns to Pine Valley after an injury leaves him unable to continue doing the one thing he loves. He was so focused on his career that he wrote of his family, his friends, and any chance of falling in love. There are so many available women in PV, I think a character like Bobby would have his pick of the litter.

Again, wishful thinking, haha.

• Members

Not Bobby Warner, Bobby Martin -- the character who went up to the attic to get his skis.... and never was heard from again.

Does anyone know exactly how long he lasted? A few weeks? A couple months? I know his "exit" was in 1970, so it was definitely shorter than a year.

• Members

Bringing him back would be nothing more than novelty, IMO. If they ever do another comedic episode any time soon, that's where they should mention him or whatever. But in the real timeline of the show? Nah, not so much. It'd be the same as rewriting history.

I'm all for bringing back Paul and having him be with a new wife and maybe have children/grandchildren (when was the last time he appeared? 1995?). The fact that he hasn't been on the show in forever is perfect as is the fact that he doesn't have many connections. Why must a character be a recent character with assloads of connections in order to return? The writers should do the work themselves to make the character relevant to newer viewers and to create new connections with the character. Is it really far-fetched to believe that Paul Martin would return to Pine Valley, the place he called home for many years? It's actually more far-fetched to have him stay away so long.

• Members

In my fan fic when I was writing (and hope to start back soon) I was in the process of bring Paul back with a wife and 3 older children. He has been gone long enough for that to happen.

I would rather see him back and there could have been so many times in the last few years with new families that it could have been done or easily substituted.

• Members

I agree, I'm all for bringing back (seemingly) long-forgotten characters, or hitherto unmentioned relatives opposed to islanded characters or small families that are poorly written for. I really hate it when they bring in a new fam, they get shoved down our throats, and they have no interesting let alone memorable qualities. next thing you know, they're gone. I mentioned this in another thread, but I would have liked to see relatives for Erica for example (I said a Kane aunt played by Marla Adams). But maybe some first cousins, nieces, nephews. Instead of more insta-kids, AMC could take a cue from Viki and Dorian as far as building a family and potential s/ls are concerned. Or instead of random new families, how about some new families that are actually from Pine Valley who have old relationships with characters that just have yet to be explored. Some high school classmates of Erica, or Tad, Jesse, and Angie, even Juanita Ramsey's grandchildren...

• Members

"I'm all for bringing back Paul and having him be with a new wife and maybe have children/grandchildren (when was the last time he appeared? 1995?)."

I don't even remember him back in '95, but they had so many blinka dn you miss them cameos he coulda been. To be fair he'd be pretty old--he was Joe's older bro I think.

What I don't get is why they don't bring back more characters related to old long gone characters. It just makes sense to me...

"Or instead of random new families, how about some new families that are actually from Pine Valley who have old relationships with characters that just have yet to be explored."

EXACTLY. It seems like it would just provide so much more story potential

• Members

Paul is the younger brother of Joe.

He was fresh out of the Vietnam war when he came back to Pine Valley.

I am not sure what age he was supposed to be, but I remember in the late 70's one of Anne's letters to Paul from the mental institution talked about Ellen Shepherd and the years before when they were in school together - so all them had to be about the same age. And Anne and Ellen were clearly younger than Joe.

I know the few Martin Family trees I have seen posted have Paul as the 2nd child too.

When Paul came back to Pine Valley he had been missing in action for a year.

• Members

I think Paul is the younger Martin as well. Though I cannot imagine him being much younger than Joe as he was already Lawyer. I have a bio for him here: http://pinevalleybulletin.com/Quick%20Guid...MartinPaul.html

He was present at the Martin 1995 Housewarming, an event that I think is yet to be surpassed on television. He and Erica had a few moments remembering the time around Jason Maxwell's murder. I think he and his family would be a great addition to the fold. I know Bill Mooney, like many of the 70s stars, is still working. He could have a kid or two a little younger than Jake and really fall well into that fold. I think it would be better for him to be a widow to give him potential for romance.

Archived