James E. Reilly Has Passed Away

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Thanks for condolences, everyone! It was nice to read those kind words and it was nice seeing old posters again. :)

I hope SOD/SOW/TvGuide will have some sort of tribute to him. I would love to see quotes from those who worked with him.

• Members

She's right about most soap purists and critics hating him. Reilly knew he was never going to win an Emmy for his stuff on DAYS or Passions, but he knew how to bring in the younger audiences and his sensationalistic story structure kept them tuning in for a while. Sometimes the people's choice isn't the industry's choice, and Reilly proved that.

• Members

jamesreillyl08kennethbali4.jpg
Mr. James E. Reilly
angel_5.gif

The recent passing of head writer James E. Reilly has stunned the industry. His longtime friend and agent Jonathan Russo, who confirmed Reilly's death to Soap Opera Weekly, "We spoke an hour or two hours a day for almost 15-20 years. We did the math, 27 years. He was a towering figure in the industry. He deserved my time and attention. He wanted it and we were friends. We liked to catch up," Russo shares. "He never ran out of thoughts or ideas. He never repeated himself unless it was intentional so he didn’t lose viewers. He never had other people submit story ideas ever. He sat down and laid out and presented stories and layouts for 2 shows. This is an amazing accomplishment," Russo adds.

KenCordayJPI07S.jpg
Ken Corday

Ken Corday (Executive Producer, DAYS): "The DAYS OF OUR LIVES family is deeply saddened by the recent passing of James E. Reilly. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. Jim was not only an ingenious storyteller who changed the landscape of daytime drama, but he celebrated life with passion, humor, and an appreciation for the best it has to offer. He was an inspiration for us all...and will be greatly missed."

Lisa-de-cazotte-S.jpg
Lisa de Cazotte

Lisa de Cazotte (executive producer GH:NIGHT SHIFT, former EP PASSIONS): "Jim Reilly was not only a legend in our industry, but he was a great friend and mentor. His creativity, sense of humor and genius will be sorely missed. There will never be another like him and I am deeply grateful for the years we spent working together on PASSIONS and for the joy he brought to my life."

Deidre%20Hall%20S.jpg
Deidre Hall

Deidre Hall (Marlena, DAYS): "Jim Reilly was a powerful presence who brought forth brilliant and creative ideas. The passion and depth with which he wrote the Possession story, and the Salem Stalker, made him not only a fan favorite, but my champion as well. I respected the man and his work, and I am deeply saddened they are gone from us."

2008-Galen-Gering-S-NBC.jpg
Galen Gering

Galen Gering (Rafael, DAYS; ex-Luis, PASSIONS): "Although I never got to know the man well, I do owe him for creating a show that was an incredible rollercoaster ride, spanning nearly a decade of creative storytelling the likes of which daytime had never seen. It’s a terrible loss of a creative force that in large part changed the face of traditional soap operas forever."

EricMartsolfS2007.jpg
Eric Martsolf

Eric Martsolf (Brady, DAYS; ex-Ethan, PASSIONS): "To me he was the writer who wasn’t afraid to travel the road less traveled. He was an innovator in the soap genre, and composed characters and storylines that broke down traditional barriers and walls."

EvaTamargoS2005.jpg
Eva Tamargo

Eva Tamargo (ex-Pilar, PASSIONS): "Even though I never got to meet him, I was blessed to speak his beautiful, inspirational, and faithful words as Pilar, for nine years. Jim will never know how much he helped me get through some rough personal times while I was playing Pilar. Well, perhaps, now in heaven, he will know. My prayers are with his family at this most difficult time. Que en Paz, descanses, Jim."

McKenzieWestmoreS2007.jpg
McKenzie Westmore

McKenzie Westmore (ex-Sheridan, PASSIONS): "We have truly lost a great man who contributed to daytime is so many amazing ways. I was so blessed and honored to be a part of one of his creations and portray a character he created. He will be missed and all my thoughts and prayers are with his family."

SoapOperaDigest.com.

• Members

The first thing Darn said to me about it is "his obsession and rejection and devotion to his Catholicism drove his writing," and he is actually absolutely right. I think I may write about it on the blog this weekend.

• Members

Wow. I haven't been on the board in some time, and when I come to lurk I find this. So sad.

I am sorry Toups. Though I don't know you personally, I know you were a HUGE fan.

As for the man and his creativity, When I read on here this Sunday that he may come back, first I got nervous. I will admit that. But then I felt some excitement at the thought. I knew that if Reilly came back, something would happen. Finally, the show would have a shake up, and like him or not, he knew how to write Days in a way that would bring ratings in, in BOTH stints. They (the ratings) may have fallen at the end of the second stint, but he was creatively directing two hour long dramas that came on every single day. No one, not even Mr. reilly, could pull that off and remain effective (while trying to fight city hall himself, Ken Corday).

I will never forget seeing Carly in the coffin, watching Marlena levitate, Seeing John thrust Marlena down in the Titan jet, watching "Gina" (Hope) lurk around Maison Blanche, and I could go on and on. I didn't ever see eye to eye with his vision for Days, but you had to respect a man that brought a show on the brink out of the darkness, and kept it at the top for nearly a decade.

We will miss him.

• Administrator

:(

I hope to hear from more.....I want to hear from the writers who worked very closely with him. Writers like Peggi Schibi, Nancy Williams Watt, Marlena Clark Poulter, Pete Rich, Gail Lawrence, Roger Newman, Darryll Ray THomas Jr., etc.

Archived