Dark Shadows

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The show loved Ms. Millay.   The show was glad to repeat the Phoenix storyline in the 1897 time.   She was to return in 1971 before the cancellation announcement was made.  

I did not know that she had asked to be brought back for the 1897 time.    I do know that she played Kitty Styles #1 on The Secret Storm.  She did make plans to move to Rome, but I am not sure if she ever actually moved there.

She is my favorite actress from Dark Shadows, although I love Lara Parker also.

• Members

Diana also has a small part in Night of Dark Shadows. I know Dan was planning to expand those movies if Night had been a success - maybe he was paving the way for a Laura feature film. 

(still hoping I'm alive long enough to eventually get to see the recovered footage from Night that is still sitting in a vault somewhere)

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I've never been able to determine if I "liked" Diana Millay, or if I simply "liked" the character she played on Dark Shadows.   

There was a uniqueness about her -- her character always seemed to be mentally detached from reality entirely, floating around in some other world, rather than present.  And I felt that worked VERY well in the Gothic environment of Dark Shadows.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I left my thoughts in the Memoriam thread, but I may as well say here too that I just adored Lara's work on Dark Shadows. I remember, as a kid, getting the annual KLS put out around 1990 or 1991, and reading up on the stories before watching the Sci-Fi Channel reruns. I think I knew of Angelique before I saw her, but as soon as I did see her, I was captivated in a way words on a page couldn't produce. She was luminous, making a very dark character impossible to hate. They brought her back so many times, always with good reason. I remember how she just tore through the Leviathan storyline, turning around a very confused plotline with the purity and fire that only actress and character could bring. 

Lara was also an excellent writer, not just her fiction, but the anecdotes she shared in the DS books. Whether it was gently shading Helena Botham Carter for being two-faced, or talking about the nurse who took pictures of her newborn for her because of being an Angelique fan, or talking about meeting a little girl at a convention who was named after Angelique and clearly not thrilled about it, she knew how to draw you in.

I hope she knew how loved she was. 

Angelique will never die. After we're all gone, someone out there is going to find Dark Shadows, and see her for the first time, and she'll take them far away, as she did so many of us.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

My mom was a teen during DS's original run and when I started to watch the reruns on Scifi channel back in the day... she always said Angelique had those mysterious eyes that made her understand why people fell under her spell.

Even though she played Angelique most of the time, because she was bought back in different ways.. the character either remembered moving beyond her obsession with Barnabas, or was still knee deep in it.   And she played a convincing ingenue in the 1841PT story quite well.   Such sad news

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I looked at People's obituary for Lara on their site, and I was reminded of how far that magazine has fallen. They said that Dark Shadows started with the Barnabas and Angelique story. They also used quotes from her in an interview they said was in 2022, which I found hard to believe, and sure enough, the link was to interviews from the '90s, and the video was uploaded in 2022. I don't know if this was all AI, but it just feels so disrespectful to the celebrities who have passed on and can't even get basic details right.