Dark Shadows

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Glad to see Archive still has some rarities going up. It's a half-hour interview with Addison Powell. 

I forgot how much I love that DS ditty we so often heard at the start of episodes.

Addison Powell Interviewed by Jonathan Harrison : Jonathan Harrison : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

@slick jones In this Addison claims he was on Secret Storm for 7 years.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks, Carl.   Listening to it now.  I figure he was probably recurring on SS as Spencer Hadley from 1966 - 1973, playing short roles on other shows during the periods he wasn't needed.  I reached out to a couple of Soap Magazine writers to see if they could help. One sent me his old research cast lists a few years back and SS is one of his favorites.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Tonight, I am watching the early episodes of Dark Shadows.    I must have watched them dozens of times before (including when they were first aired on ABC).   Here are some observations and ponderments that I have tonight:

1.  I wonder about the performers on the show who had contracts and for what length these contracts were.o

The performers who I expect had contracts were Alexandra Moltke (Victoria), Joan Bennett (Elizabeth), Nancy Barrett (Carolyn), Joel Crothers (Joe), Mark Allen (Sam), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie), Frank Schofield (Bill), and George Mitchell (Matthew).     I am not sure if David Hennessy had a contract or not, since he was a  juvenile, and I am basing that on his age.   I doubt if Louis Edmonds had a contract because Roger was originally supposed to appear on the show for a few months.

2.  Maggie, in the first episodes, tells Victoria that everyone who lives in Collinwood is a kook.   I think that the least kookiest would have been Carolyn.   I wonder if the show was preparing the viewers of an eventual conflict between Maggie and Carolyn (over Joe).

(This is not the only time that I think that storylines originally intended for Carolyn were dropped.)

3.  Two of the people in the Blue Whale were played by Robert Viharo (as Harry - but not Harry Johnson) and Alan Yorke (as Alan Feinstein was known around this time).   I wonder if either of these two actors had auditioned for the role of Joe Haskell and lost the part to Joel Crothers (who was more innocent looking than either Mr. Viharo or Mr. Yorke).

4.  The bartender at the Blue Whale is played by Bob O'Connell, who does not receive billing.   (I don't think that he ever did during the entire run of the show.)  The bartended is identified in this episode as "Joe," but he is later renamed as "Bob Rooney."  I wonder why the show would have two characters both named "Joe."

5.  I see in episode #2 that some of the female extras are wearing pants.  Yet, Carolyn is wearing a dress.   I know that Nicole on The Edge of Night is said to be the first female character who wore jeans.  Carolyn, I don't think, wore pants until the 1970-Parallel Time set of episodes.

Edited by danfling

• Members

I can't remember what she wore during the Leviathan story, but if parallel time was the first I wouldn't be surprised. Carolyn Loomis had such an extremely different style and persona to Carolyn Stoddard - the first time I saw her, when I was a kid and we bought some of the episodes on VHS that were well ahead of what was running on the Sci-Fi Channel at the time, I was startled. That contrast is one of the reasons I loved the character and was so impressed with Nancy Barrett in the role(s).