Generations Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • Members

If I remember correctly, this scene aired in either late August / early September 1990. Eric Royale (Randy Brooks) was still on trial for the murder of a homeless woman he had run over with his car. Chantal Marshall (Debbi Morgan) was the prosecuting attorney during the case. Chantal believed Eric was guilty; just another celebrity using his fame to get away with a crime. I think this was the turning point in Chantal and Eric's relationship. Chantal had gone to the bar to cool off after the stressful trial, and a group of men started bothering her because of her involvement in the case. They were angry because she was going after Eric Royale, football star. Eric showed up and saved Chantal from the men.

Shortly after, Chantal proved that Eric wasn't at fault; he had drank cough syrup before driving which had mimicked the symptoms of drinking and driving. Eric was still convicted to lesser charges and sent to prison with Sean Masters, Kyle Masters' kid brother. Sean and Eric were involved in taking down a drug ring in prison, which led to Eric's release from prison. When Eric was released, Eric and Chantal pursued a relationship.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The show was definitely playing with the idea, weren't they? I've read Mary Gardner was traipsing around Chicago telling anyone that would listen about the "inappropriate" living situation. Of course, this was before the woman was jumping out of airplanes dressed as a nun with a moosehead full of diamonds. Structurally, I don't see the show pushing Sam / Rob as a longterm couple, but I could see how a Jason / Sam / Rob / Jessica story would produce a lot of in character drama based on the history of the characters. In the beginning, Sam is clearly lacking a longterm love interest until Kyle arrived in early 1990.

Also, Doreen and Adam didn't appear to be intended as one of those long term couples, but rather a bump in the road that would produce drama for years between the Jacksons and the Marshalls. I could see where the show might play the line of Adam and Sam as friends who become more if the audience pushed for it. And, in all honesty, both characters were complicated enough where this could have been played out for years. Adam didn't receive his longterm love interest Maya until 1990.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

TV One REALLY should do an Unsung Hollywood episode of this little soap that had such a short run. I've never seen any episodes, but the premise intrigues me - not to mention that many people who were or would become famous were on this show - Jim Reynolds, Kristoff St. John, Viveca Fox, Richard Roundtree, Kelly Rutherford, Jonelle Allen, and even Smokey Robinson (as an actual character, not as himself). I'm sure the cast and the behind-the-scenes folks would have plenty to say about not just what happened during the show's brief run, but long-term story ideas had they not been cancelled.

• 4 weeks later...