Y&R: Week of July 28, 2008

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wanted to like today's episode of Y&R. It had all the elements of a good soap tragedy, but I felt that it was so contrived, everything. Maybe it was because Victor's love for Sabrina was so instant and Victoria's sudden need to make up Sabrina rang false. Phyliss bugging Daniel was so out of place in the episode. The only thing that worked for me was Paul and Nikki because their friendship is genuine and long lasting. I believe that Paul cares about Nikki with no reservations and that Nikki would turn to Paul for comfort and support because that friendship.

J.T. used to be a real bad boy and interesting. Unfortunately, he was toned down for his original love story with Colleen. He is pure soap beef like Brad and that is the only reason that they are still around given their characters' lack of substance.

• Members

Unfortunately the episode itself didn't.

Too much happened and in the end nothing made sense or felt odd at least. Victor wants to take Sabrina home, yet he hasn't spoken with any doctor? Then the doctor breaks the news in totally lame fashion. David is written off, his identity revealed to anyone and it felt totally WTF!?

Sudden Impact has been botched completely - I'm not impressed. The gala went way below it's possibilities and so seems to be the fall out. Kill the speedy pacing...

• Members

David being written out was botched. I think he should have lingered on longer -- longer, even, than Sabrina -- just so we could have tied up more of the loose ends.

However, the episode as a whole? Was excellent. The relationships between people -- Victor & Victoria, Nikki & Paul, Victor & Sabrina -- seemed rejuvenated. Raya Meddine and Eric Braeden, in particular, brought it. Seeing Victor crying was unexpectedly moving, especially when he saw Sabrina's flatter stomach and knew the baby was gone. Loved him dissing Fauxtoria when she tried to apologize "Too late for that now."

Pure, soapy fall-out. I didn't care about the Gala. This was the important bit. And the week's not over yet.

• Members

^^^ IA Cat. I thought the show was excellent.

And David passing so quickly - off camera - didn't feel right. He should have lingered longer, IA. That part just came across to me as way too rushed.

But overall, I am happy with yesterday's show and looking forward to today's.

Archived