Charles Pratt: Question for Santa Barbara Fans

• Members

With the news that Charles Pratt is coming to AMC, I've wondered what kind of solo writer Mr. Pratt is. Given that he wrote for Sanata Barbara (if I'm not mistaken w/o a Co-HW), I'm curious as to the kind of writer he is.

Many fans blame him for "destroying" GH, when IMO, that was all Guza. Looking back, the mob was a lot more layered and grey than it is now under the solo hacking pen of Guza. I think it the show could have definitely been more balanced, but even then the Quartermaines weren't being systematically destroyed the way they have been over the past couple of years.

I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" category in regards to Pratt. Getting my hopes up and expecting him to save AMC is something I refuse to do. It's a difficult job for these HW and they will need time to try and fix what is broken with their shows. I gave B&E the benefit of doubt, and though they weren't the best writers in the world, they certainly weren't the worst.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe that for most of his run ('87-'90) he was co-headwriter with Anne Howard Bailey, who was one of the greats so it's hard to seperate out his influence. I think it was only 1990 he was headwriter by himself so that would be a good year to judge him on if anyone here remembers it.

BTW the one episode of Ugly Betty that Pratt actually wrote (despite the Frons' attempt to paint Pratt as a regular writer on the series who was instrumental to its success) re-airs this Thursday ("Giving Up The Ghost").

• Members

Charles was the script writer for Santa Barbara since 1985 and he worked along with the Dobsons until 1987, when they were fired. Then Charles served as Co-Head Writer with Anne Howard Bailey until 1989 when Bailey was replaced by Sheri Anderson, and they worked on the show until 1990.

I think he did okay. During his tenure with Bailey, Santa Barbara won numerous awards and the stories were great. But I have no idea how he did on General Hospital.

• Members

Nope, I actually learned that a couple of years ago and it stayed stored in my memory. What I once read, it stays inside my head.

I'm working on the Santa Barbara guide on TV.com, and I actually know quite a lot about it. I also provided the directing credits for most of SB.

I love the show. :P

• Members

Pratt has always been known for his dialogue, hasn't he? *knows nothing about the man except I never could get into GH under him--but still can't, and that he wrote some of Melrose Place and became headwriter when I stopped watching. Oh and I liked his Titans I'm slightly embarassed to say)

• Members

I know but that's wrong. I watched the first part of "Giving Up The Ghost" on youtube and Pratt is credited as consulting producer and the writer.

Writing credit for Pratt is shown at 9:43 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7CUxwSQyWI...feature=related

It was said here that Pratt wrote the episode "You See Me, I.C.U" but that was actually written by Wrubel.

See above

• Members

I think this episode aired on American Thanksgiving. I saw the awful rating it got compared to the other episodes and thought "could Pratt's writing really have been that bad!?". But I guess people were digging into their turkey.

Archived