EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think it's more down to Melissa Suffield's firing. They have run concurrent stories before. I think they just don't know what to do with Jane or Ian.

I'd rather they have Amira and her baby return, as you mentioned. It's a bit odd if they ignore that while having Syed and Christian want another child. Unless Glenda miscarries, or she decides to give the baby to Ronnie, and this leads to a big ugly fight, and Syed/Christian lose, only to then have Amira or her child with Syed come into their lives.

Some have suggested that Jane should have been the one to be in a baby swap, not Ronnie. While I guess I can see that, I think that Ronnie, even though many have said this is the end for her, can recover better than this from Jane. I think that the existence of Bobby, even if he was ignored by the show for much of 2010, has made Jane look very unsympathetic to a lot of viewers.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ha ha, the best part of this is the look on Denise's face.

I should warn that the clips starts off very loud so turn your volume down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPjKvcQO6E

Kim really is the best comic relief character they've created in years and years.

Little Mo is on a reality show.

http://famousandfearless.channel4.com/celebrities

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Lacey Turner and Steve McFadden are both shortlisted for Best Serial Performance at the National Television awards. They're against Katherine Kelly from Coronation Street and Danny Miller from Emmerdale.

I wonder if Danny Miller is already whoring himself on Twitter for votes, and then feeding the press crap about how he doesn't act for awards and how little they mean to him. :rolleyes: I'm waiting for another Twitter outburst from him if he doesn't win.

http://www.nationaltvawards.com/vote-page?page=8&hash=BI4PTD0PX02BFTSOL4463LR4NCNO9RSM9E928564&progress=b523b1bfbe2c99f4a00c547a7a019c3810ed2c5d

You can vote for the final list of contenders there.

• Members

National Television Awards 2011

Best Talent Show - Th X Factor

Best Comedy Programme - Harry Hill's Tv Burp

Best Drama - Doctor Who

Best Drama Performance - Matt Smith (Doctor Who)

Best Digital Choice - The Inbetweeners

Best Factural Programme - Top Gear

Best Serial Drama - Eastenders

Best Serial Drama Performance - Steve McFadden (Phil Mitchell - Eastenders)

Best Topical Magazine Programme - This Morning

Best Newcomer - Marc Silcock (Jackson Walsh - Emmerdale)

Best Entertainment Programme - Mock The Week

Best Entertainment Presenter - Dermot O Leary

• Members

I kind of hope this storyline will eventually bring about the end of Ronnie's character and she'll have to leave the show.

While it's totally in character for Ronnie to reach this point and do the swap, I think the logical next level for her is either suicide or being sectioned for good. She's clearly got mental issues, and hopefully the show addresses them, but at the end, Kat will never forgive her and others in the community will never be able to look at her the same away again. She'll be an even bigger outcast.

Ronnie has never been a fully developed character anyway. Her life is just a string of tragic plot points, there isn't a character there outside of them.

Plus, with those Mitchell whores out of the way, it gives them a better chance to bring Sharon back. I still :rolleyes: at Santer's comment that he didn't want to bring Sharon back because she "overlaps" with Ronnie and Roxy.

Fillian at DS summed it up best. Ronnie and Roxy were created by splitting Sharon's personality in half, Ronnie got the tortured heroine where everything seems to go wrong for her part, while Roxy got the spoiled princess part. Nothing is better than the original.

• Members

I dunno , losing a talented actress like Samantha Womack would be quite a blow to EE , but i do agree. It would be quite silly if they just forgot about it , but for some reason i see The Brannings defending her as well as The Mitchells. But i do agree about Ronnie & Roxy being Sharon split in half.

• Members

I never thought about it that way but yeah that's actually true. You can even go through various Sharon storylines and see which Mitchell sister it'd suit best eg:

Sharon wants to go on the pill - Roxy

The Banned - Roxy

Sharon goes out with a Vicar - Ronnie

Sharon's cheated on by Wicksy - Ronnie

Sharon cheats on Grant with Phil - Roxy

Sharon mourns Tom and later Dennis - Ronnie

To analyse a bit further Roxy is early Sharon (1985 - 1995) while Ronnie is later Sharon (2001 - 2006). But while the Mitchell sister's seem doomed to stay in their prescribed roles as Fire (Roxy) and Ice (Ronnie), IMO Sharon actually more or less evolved from fire to ice (and then started thawing out again!) and yet always retained enough of both qualities to feel like a well-rounded character.

• Members

Sharon still owns the Bookies, which she let Pat oversee for her for a while.

Maybe one day Glenda and Carol's antics and business skills will be taken into account and Sharon will have to come back and sort her business out.

Sharon's 2001 return is by far the best and most successful return EastEnders has ever had or done. They did such a wonderful job reestablishing her again.

I just loved her surprise return at the Vic, which surprised and shocked the hell out of Peggy. It was such campy fun.

The Santer era wasted so many returns that it might prevent the show for bringing people back. People go on and on about what a successful return Santer did for Bianca, but IMO, it was not as successful as Sharon's return in 2001, but Sharon is also a more accessible and iconic character than Bianca.