EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Great review! Are you a professional writer? I never knew that about Mike Reid's son :( Pam really was EE. I still miss Pat. Always will. What a great anecdote about the pledge drive. Who could blame you? Maybe the other callers got to have a night chatting with Conor and Mary Flaherty...

He's probably past his best, but I still prefer him to a number in the cast. This is the worst EE's male cast has ever been.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the kind comment, Carl. No, I'm not a professional writer by any means. Hah! re the other pledge drive volunteers chatting with the actors playing Conor and Mary, instead. They've never been out to Long Island for a WLIW pledge drive. However the actress who played Tiffany (Martine McCutcheon)'s mother has!

When I met Pam at Elstree a year after first meeting her in NY (it was November 2001) I tried talking to her about Wendy. I'd had a few unsettling experiences with Wendy and her partner John at their local pub in Marylebone. Pam, classy lady that she is, only gave me a look which made it clear that she was well aware of Wendy's "issues" but would always stay above the fray.

• Members

While I'm sad she's no longer with us, I can imagine Wendy was probably extremely difficult to deal with over the years. It's also no secret that her departure from the show wasn't under the best circumstances for both her and the the producers (and the brass at the BBC) as well.

Also, while I wish Pauline had gotten a better exit, I can't say I miss the character at all. I think I had given up on her for a long time before Wendy quit (and judging by some of the performances Wendy gave in her latter years on the show, so did she).

With Pat, it's different, and I definitely miss her more than I miss Pauline.

• Members

Looks like Jim's funeral will be coming up soon.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/430789/Spoilers-EastEnders-Dot-Cotton-released-handcuffed-for-Jim-Branning-funeral

I guess this must be Sarah Phelps' episode.

I also saw this:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/430790/Danny-Dyer-not-leaving-EastEnders

Bosses are desperate to hang on to him as Queen Vic landlord Mick Carter after he helped turn around the soap’s fortunes.

Before his arrival ratings were flagging. But during last month’s live episodes they topped a whopping 12million viewers.

rolleyes.gif

The main four Carters all got new contracts, including Danny Boy Hatchard (Lee), even though a lot of people thought he might be on the way out.

If they have a story where he has to go around in boxer briefs all the time, then he'll become my favorite Carter.

• Members

I think the Sarah Phelps episode is the one that airs on the 27th. From the description, it appears that episode is Sharon-centric (thankfully). The Jim death/funeral stuff is probably going to take place next month.

Ugh at the Carter's getting new contracts and being credited for "turning the show around." I guess if you have enough misplaced hype anything is possible...

ETA: More on Sharon's storyline and her adoption : http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a635447/eastenders-discovery-corrie-visit-emmerdale-plan-hollyoaks-trouble.html#~p6ZMbkmZaK1PSD

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I left a reply in the Neighbours thread, but I'll add an edited version in here.

It was cute, but not as good as Neighbours' EastErinsborough sketch. I don't feel it was as coherent as it could have been. But, I am glad they cobbled together something to return the well wishes. It was good that they tried.

I liked the Babe/Jason Donovan scene, as it so reminded me of the time in Neighbours, when Rowena Wallace's character Mad Mary kidnapped Pepper and tied her up.

• Members

I guess Phil is enough of a connection for her, but who does Lisa even know on the show? Phil, Sharon, Ian, Dot, and Kat?

And other than Phil and some scenes here and there with Sharon, she wasn't close to any of these characters. Also, with Kathy back and Phil married to Sharon, how many of Phil's women can they concentrate on?

That said, I did have soft spot for Lisa and did think Lucy Benjamin was very underrated.

• Members

Martin and Sonia, although she and Martin wouldn't have the best of memories together (her pained marriage to Mark).

I guess this could just be about Louise, although Phil will already have enough on his plate, unless they have Denny as the abuser instead of Ben this time.

It was just a photo of her at the studio so I guess it could be nothing. I did like her 2010 return so I wouldn't be sorry if it's more.

• Members

I do find the timing interesting because only a few weeks ago McFadden testified in the ongoing phone hacking legal proceedings on Benjamin's behalf, claiming that he and Benjamin's relationship deteriorated because they were so suspicious each other selling stories to the press. I gather a lot of it was actually more to do with McFadden continuing to fool around with his ex wife but whatever. I always liked Lucy Benjamin even though the writers turned Lisa into a pathetic loser.

Didn't Benjamin meet her millionaire husband on a flight to Dubai?

Edited by TimWil