Love of Life Discussion Thread

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Who is Kay Alden?

Frank Provo and John Pickard were writers who wrote a lot for NBC shows. They created and wrote Concerning Miss Marlow and then created and wrote From These Roots, which was a Procter and Gamble show that aired on NBC. The Procter and Gamble Company learned that these two men were in a romantic relationship, so Provo and Pickard were dismissed from the show. After that, they wrote scripts for The Doctors on NBC and were hired by Roy Winsor to write Love of Life. I think there are on-line pictures of their home that can be Googled.

Their shows seemed to have used the theatre as backgrounds for their stories. Concerning Miss Marlowe was about an actress, and From These Roots had the late Barbara Berjer playing an actress. I don't know anything about their storylines for The Doctors (which was probably still an anthology series at that time) or Love of Life.

I also have temporarily forgotten who became the new headwriters of From These Roots after their dismissal.

Of all the shows that I have never seen, the one that I am most curious about and would love to see is From These Roots. I seem to enjoy serials which are set in New England (Dark Shadows and Return to Peyton Place are the other two that I know of.).

Edited by danfling

• Members

On Danfling's site, he asked if anyone knew if Jon Voight appeared on Love of Life. A response was given, but I have trouble believing he played Phil Holtz, a suitor of Barbara Sterling. If anyone knows of Voight appearing on LOL, I'd like to pass it on there.

I have trouble taking information, as someone replied to my Susan Harney questions I also asked on this site and I got the response that she played Connie Lingus on Edge of Night and Imma Heaux on Secret Storm, so I'm a little leery of responses from anyone but Danfling there.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

May 10 54

Vanessa tells Sarah that Beanie is in the hospital after being beaten by an unknown assailant: evidently someone is trying to frighten him from revealing a dangerous secret. Meanwhile, a mobster known as Tiny tells Senator Deacons that he had to rough up Beanie, who refused to keep quiet. Deacons, fearing the assault could cause problems, urges Tiny to leave town and hands him a wad of cash. Also, Sarah regrets that Meg became involved with Hal Craig and blames her for Beanie's fate. But Vanessa comforts her by promising to expose the truth about Hal in The Barrowsville Times.

Apparently Tige Andrews (Mod Squad) appeared in this episode.I guess he played Tiny?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

August 8 1956

Hal tells Meg about his secret past. He admits that while he was drunk, he got into a fight with his twin brother, Bert, and killed him. Bert, a prosperous import and export merchant, had accused Hal of stealing, and in a fit of rage, Hal knocked him off a pier to his watery death. Although Hal tried to save him, Bert's body was never recovered. Hal confesses that he was so upset that he destroyed his own "self" and assumed the identity of the respectable Bert. But lately, the conflict between the two personas has been troublesome. Meg says he can no longer lead a double life and pleads with him to give their relationship one more chance

• Members

June 13 1962

Tony and Connie attend a party at the country club, much to her disappointment: she complains that Tony dragged her there just so he could see Barbara. Sure enough, Barbara, in an effort to be polite, asks the couple to join her table and Tony readily accepts. Later, Connie confides to Barbara that she knows who Tony prefers. When Tony asks Barbara to dance, he apologizes for his behavior the night he learned she was pregnant with Rick's baby. Ultimately, Barbara advises him not to let Connie go. Connie tells Tony to admit he still loves Barbara and then leaves the party, knowing her theory is true

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Old articles in Google Archives (Jon Michael Reed) revealed an actor named Tom McGreevey (Not to be confused with Tom MacGreevey Tom Desmond of RH) played a wedding minister and a thug that beat up Ray Slater.

Leon B. Stevens (husband Lydia Bruce ) was Jim Seligman, Elliott Lang's campaign manager.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

According to an article I found in archives, and a couple of Daytime TV magazines from 67 and 69(thanks, depboy) there was a character named Aunt Carrie, portrayed by Frances Fuller. Does anyone know whose aunt she was? Since she was there for a few years, I figured someone might recognize the name. Thanks guys (and girls)!

• Members

A couple of Love of Life questions for those of you who actually saw the show.

Who were Lawrence and Lucy(Lacey?) Andrews?(actors Paul McGrath and Flora Campbell)

Who were Joe and Rita Bond? (actors Lincoln Kilpatrick and Darlene Cotton)

Who was T.J. Brogger?(Martin Zurla)

I have found actor David Rounds as Philip Holden, but also as Philip Donnelly. I know he was definitely Holden, does anyone know why he's credited as Donnelly?

Actor Bert Convy is credited as Glenn Hamilton,who was an attacker. I've read of a character named Glenn Sanders. are they the same character?

More questions later on. Thanks everyone!