Some Soaps to Axe Previews to Cut Costs!

• Members

I'm going from memory here but basically the new SOW reports that some soaps will no longer be doing previews at the end of the show in an effort to cut costs!

Now maybe I'm missing something, but how much can that possibly cost? How much time could it possibly take to make those previews? Is that really someone's full-time job?

It doesn't say which soaps, but I'm guessing AMC will be one of them since it's ABC's cost-cutting baby.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GOOD! Because most of these previews, just take away from the actual element of surprise, shock, or awe from the show. Like OLTL showing both Tina and Marty in the preview for the next episode.

I actually miss ABC preview recaps instead.

• Members

Seriously? Would the 20 second clips really cut that much cost?

Regardless, they DO need to bring back (I know on ABC Daytime) the "previously on..." just before every show. It kind of sets up what storylines they're going after that day.

• Members

Oh, this would be terrific! Just great! Seriously.

For me, more and more, the death of daytime owes itself to spoiler information. All shows should CLAMP DOWN and release NOTHING except general titillation. (The kinds of things Raya Meddine and Daniel Goddard said to NB, or that RPG said to Sara Bibel). That would increase actual tune-ins, and it would restore the enjoyable element of surprise. If this is an offshoot of budget cuts, BRING IT ON!

There was once a better, classic approach. All My Children had a brief tune and a family bible opening. One Life to Live had a sunrise. General Hospital had a blackscreen letter crawl...and later an ambulance rushing across the screen.

These brief, iconic openings set the stage for the shows...but they never needed updating.

Only DOOL has remained relatively unchanged...it is not exciting...but it establishes the brand...and it has no unnecessary cost.

Getting rid of credits (which I am not in favor of) also brings daytime in line with primetime, which has eschewed opening credits for years.

These are sacrifices I am HAPPY to make in the service of keeping the shows going. And, in the case of previews, I really think they do more harm than good.

• Members

This is good news. I hope ATWT is one of the shows that cuts the previews. They gave away to much as it is. I think previews were done so fans would tune in the next day. If soaps did great stories with good cliffhangers you wouldnt need the previews. All you would need is Dan Region telling you to join us tomorrow for ATWT. :D

• Members

Good. I actually like that idea, too much is given away for the upcoming episodes anyway. And it's not like the fans will be in shock. They still have a ton of websites spoiling the show at least for the upcoming month.

• Members

I don't know if TPTB at some soaps are eliminating the previews solely to keep costs down, but I do think eliminating them is just a good idea. I miss the days when you were left guessing if your favorite stories would continue (or conclude) tomorrow.

Archived