Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Here is another GORGEOUS piece form the 70's, this piece did not make it onto the Y&R soundtrack album in 1974, but was released on a Mystic Moods album (Same composers and producers). This piece was use at the background music when Jill and Phillip made love for the first (and only) time, and also used off an on throuought the 70's. It was also used in 1982 during the Sally/Chuckie/Snapper SL... just LOVE this:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Y&R - Victor and Ashley's theme (Nov 10th, 2008).

Is this V/A theme new or has it been used for years?

Bo and Carly's theme (I'm guessing). Marty Davich's piano (DAYS 1993). From 2:43 - 4:14

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Bo and Carly's theme again. (DAYS 1993). From 3:35 - 5:15

">

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJyzOdlL_Q

Someone told me this was one of Marty's cues. I used to LOVE DAYS's background music pre-1998. Even the cheesy possession cues. I may have said this on the board before, but I was SO disappointed when I bought the DAYS soundtrack and all of these beautiful pieces I fell in love with when I started watching weren't on the CD. :(

I also love most of B&B's music too. I know some here think it's cheesy, but one person's Velveeta is another's gouda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS4MUB6Gn-c

Starts in at about 0:43. I love the way the piano builds the tension and the secrecy without going overboard with a bunch of strings, synth, or drum beats. I like to call this the "Scandal Cue."

There is another cue I enjoy from B&B, but I heard this in a vintage clip on YouTube. It was in a scene involving Brooke and Stephanie, but I am sure it's been taken down. If I find it, I'll post it.

Dominic Messinger does alot of cheesy pieces, but it works for some of the shows he's done. Alot of GH's new music(which I assume is stuff he's worked on) sucks for the tone of that show, while at the same time, he did amazing pieces for Sunset Beach and Spyder Games that fit in with the tone of those shows. Again, if I find these examples, I'll post them.

I'm hoping, since we live in an age of digital downloads and iTunes, some of these composers will sell their pieces there. It would be convenient and alot easier, especially since one wouldn't have to go to a publisher directly to get a CD printed and sell the music.

Edited by bellcurve

• Administrator

I was disappointed too when I bought the DAYS cd. I really hate most of Ken Corday and Brent Nelson's music.

I'm not a big fan of B&B's music. They only have a few good cues. I can't believe B&B/Y&R share the same composers.

I liked Messinger's SuBe stuff too. But he, and RC Cates, just aren't good at GH.

Good idea to sell it on iTunes. I would so pay money for Marty's music.

Awesome! Thanks, Gino. LOVE the Roman/Marlena theme. I think it was played a lot during the affair storyline too. I'll have to rewatch to watch to make sure. The Steve/Kayla theme was alright, nothing special.

I think DAYS only has one good cue right now - it's the Santo/Colleen theme (I like all the versions: flute, piano, guitar). But of course Corday and Brent Nelson are just horrible composers. LOL

I wonder why DM sucks at GH. He hasn't produced anything good since Marty left (same with RC Cates when he joined DM). DM's usually a good composer. Their "action/suspence" cues during the recent hospital crisis was BRUTAL! The the music directors kept playing the same two cues over and over and over. It was so annoying. I'll upload some scenes to showcase the horribleness of it all. LOL