Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Members

I also love B&B's music.

I hope so too.

Is there anything you like from them? I loved pretty much all of their music in 1996-1998 (but most of my favorites weren't on the 1998 soundtrack CD) and the music in 1999-2002 was also very good IMO. The music started to go downhill in 2003. The music was without a doubt the worst 2004-2006. 2007-present time is a little better. I have noticed some newly composed music just this past month that have played in several scenes with EJ and Philip.

I can't stand that one. But I think there are still several good cues. Like I said, some new ones that played in scenes with EJ and Philip. I think Corday and Nelson are best when it comes to cues for villains and action-scenes. Marty was better at sad and romantic music.

Edited by Sindacco

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

GH had excellent background music too. They used Score Productions as well in the 80's. I loved the music they used during the Wes Kenney era in the late 80's. GH used to use soundtracks from films too. They used a few scores from "Flowers In The Attack" during alot of Olivia Jerome's storyline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This isn't really "soap opera background music," but I couldn't resist...

This is an excerpt of the late Joe Harnell playing the theme from Santa Barbara on his piano from the album "Joe Harnell Plays Piano Solo." Even though he stumbles on the piano keys a bit when he plays this, this is absolutely [!@#$%^&*] beautiful. I love hearing him play his own composition on the piano.

http://joeharnell.com/audio/santa_barbara.mp3

Edited by bellcurve

• Members

That music from the scene where Nina Shot David Kimball is just AWESOME. It speaks to the expertise of Alloco and Davidson, because the first portion of the scene was composed by them, while the second portion (after 2:40) was composed by McGinnis, Winn, and Todd as part of the orginal 1973 score. And notice how SEAMLESSLY they fit together, and how suspenseful they are. The only thing that's bothered me lately, is that when they DO use a McGinnis/Winn/Todd composition within the body of the show, they never credit them, and havne't for years. The end credits only credit Alloco and Davidson. Just last week, during Katherine's "I'm leaving Genoa City" scene... they pulled out version 2 of "Sally's Theme" once again... and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it when they do!! I'd just wish they'd add McGinnis/Winn/Todd to the credits when they do. I'd also love it if they used a few OTHER pieces from the 70's every once in a while, like a treat... once or twice a week or so. I'm SO glad they've dispensed with those STUPID hip-hoppy sounding pieces, everyone HATED them... I guess they finally listened and brought back the GOOD stuff. In this day of reducing budgets, they don't need to be spending ANY money on new music... they've got PLENTY of library to draw from, some of which hasn't been heard in over a decade.

Edited by alphanguy74

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a casual Y&R viewer, but I absolutely love this new cue they play during Nick/Sharon's scenes(It's on Monday's airshow). It's not a variation of the Paris Theme, although it might be and I might be missing it. I got an advanced peek into Monday's show, and there's this really good sad/suspense building cue they use with them. It sounds like a less trashy Melrose Place/Dominic Messinger kind of cue. Which means you all will probably hate it. LOL.

I'm surprised they're using it. To me, it doesn't sound very "Y&R."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great choices. I've always enjoyed B&B's music. I'm glad they have decided to find a balance between this new flashy stuff and the cues we love so much.

There's one piece they always play during "romantic moments." That's another piano cue, but it's really really great. I need to find it somewhere.

• Members

I love this piece of music GL used in 1993 during the story that dealt with Maureen's death and its aftermath, as I mentioned in the GL tribute thread. I call it "Maureen's theme", it's so tragically beautiful, a bit depressing, but also a bit hopeful.

The beginning starts about 3:26 in and lasts until the end of the clip. It really peaks at about 3:44 in, which is the most noticeable part, I believe.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner