Sara A. Bibel's Blog

• Members

Ah Mark, still trying to keep things positive but I kind of agree with Slyph on this one. If you had a really talented writer friend who said "I just got a job on a soap," would you say "Great! You'll have such an impact on the genre!" or "Great! Now you can pay your bills while you look for something better."

I hate seeing talent wasted and daytime has been wasting it in spades in front of and behind the camera.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree and don't... It seems that there are mroe and more probs with network primetime shows too (look at all the showrunner turnaround over at ABC--even on a relative hit like Bros and Sis--and I know you personally weren't a fan--Baitz felt forced off the show by ABC). But yeah the sitaution prob would give her more chances than daytime. Maybe Weiner should take her on at Mad Men :D

• Members

Precisely. It's an amazing interview, totally spot on.

That's why I said she should flee and never come back. If she returns to daytime, it may be the total end of her career. Given that once in soaps for a long time, you will always be seen as a niche writer or a some sort of centaur-esque combo of primetime/daytime writer (like many of those people who came on with Lynn Latham on Y&R).

• Members

In a job as hard as TV writing in which to become employed, I scarcely see how someone could reject the offer of a lucrative position in daytime...especially if other doors weren't answering one's knock.

That said, I actually think (predicting the end of daytime US soaps in 2016...with most dying between 2010-2012) having experience on a daytime soap will be quite useful in the post-soap universe.

It is kind of like expert plaster work. As new technology comes (drywall), the old skill is lost. Soon, you have fewer and fewer people who can do the plaster work. And then one day, you need extensive plaster work.

Though I think daytime is dying, I don't think the serial drama is anywhere near dead. I think that expert serial writing takes unique skills that are hard to cultivate and maintain (the Kring article you are all referencing; Lost Season 2, slumps in later seasons of ER or Six Feet Under, etc.). I could almost seek the daytime skills (for volume and for structure) as being highly prized at some future time when someone seeks to revive the serial in a form that is closer to the current format.

Archived