ATWT: Who would you recast in the role of Lily???

• Members

Teehee......well, I'm considered subversive in some circles. :D Was there a time when Lily was "all that"??? Yeah. I was one of the few who liked Rattray in the role, I thought it finally broke Lily out of the virginal-butter-wouldn't-melt-in-her-mouth persona. (One of her first acts was to disavow the adoption, I think, and Lily sending Em's letter to Hal breaking the news that Jen wasn't his biological daughter.) But after the David/babyswitch, back in '98-'99, everything that could happen to Lily officially happened to her. When Hogan backburnered her, it "killed" the character. I thought some of the Rose stuff was okay, but after about a year it got old, and by the time they killed her off, the strain of dual roles was beginning to show.

The IIC are too chicken to write anything that truly puts Lily in a bad light, and the hacks nowadays don't write much with depth anyway. They've attempted at various times to break up Lilden, but then they back off and wrap it in another lazy bow.

And, here's another subversive thought...she may have been willing to take a pay cut...but she also made demands. If she wanted storyline approval (which is the rumor I heard...) then I don't blame management for balking. NO ONE gets storyline approval. NO. ONE. Thinking that is a "reasonable, workable" demand is bullsh*t. And she KNEW it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am a big Martha fan but I agree with your post PJ. I also loved Rattray as Lily. You brought back great memories of Lily and her devious letter sending plot. :lol: Good stuff!! I would love to see Heather Rattray back as Lily. Maybe then she could be a bitch again. :) But I doubt the writers would go that way.

If Martha got storyline approval then everyone else on the show would want the same thing on their contract. It isnt going to happen. If that is what she wanted.

• Members

If Tricia Cast were to join ATWT, I'd want it to be as Margo and Katie's sister, Cricket Montgomery Ross. For some reason, I could see her having a(n ex-)husband like nerdy Ernie, lol.

(Wait a minute. She'd go from having a best friend named Cricket, to playing a character named Cricket. That's too funny.)

As for Lily, I'd rather they didn't recast. But, if they just have to, without even waiting a few months for MB fans to adjust, I say, why not try to lure Genie Francis to the role? She's older than MB (and Jon Hensley) but I think she could "play younger"; plus, she'd make an excellent scene partner w/ Elizabeth Hubbard, Kathleen Widdoes and Van Hansis; and nabbing her would be a perfect way to thumb their noses at Brian Frons, JFP and Bob Guza, too, lol!

• Members

Honestly, I don't blame her if she just wanted a HUGE break from Lilden, ala the Carjack breakup of the past two years. Lily needs time to deal with stuff *coughlikeKatiecough* instead of just jumping from man to man or dealing with her children's problems. But I don't see why she was shocked when she heard they were putting out a casting call for her role...supposedly it's the same move they made on Hunt Block years ago.

The show has, and could, survive without Martha and Lily.

• Members

Yes, it has. But that was back when soaps could lose a big star. But who knows how fans will react to a recasted Lily again. I say get Rattray back. I dont mind her Lily not being with Holden. i kind of loved Heather's Lily on her own. Of course they wont be able to use flashbacks with any other recast except Rattray. :) Only time will tell if ATWT survives without Martha. I hear soaps are after Martha already before ATWT rethinks their decision.

• Members

LOL...does anyone really think TIIC care about the fans' reactions? They just dumped Scott Bryce. They replaced Ben Hendrickson. They killed off Dusty. They kill off anyone named "Jennifer". They didn't bat an eyelash bringing back Rosanna or Simon for short, disasterous stints. When they do recast, they give out personality transplants like tic tacs.

I can't see Martha going to the West Coast. I can't help but think that someone's going to blink, and Martha will be back.

• Members

I know my opinion matters none, but the role of "Lily" can only be played by one person....Martha.

She's literally grown into the role and made it her own. The exit of Martha Byrne will, no doubt, be the end of "Lily" as we know her.

People keep saying the character of "Lily" should take a break because of the horrible writing that's befallen her. But even after a break, do you all think the character's going to be any different? No. Same character, just a different actor that fans will never accept. The writing will still be the same and the poor writing will still continue. No amount of rest for any character is going to "revitalize" the character. None at all.

And whoever does step into the role, since it's obvious they're recasting (that's the reason MB quit..because they issued a breakdown for her replacement), is going to have a huge burden put on them and will either cave under pressure or become quickly dismissed by TPTB to avoid any more laughing.

And I know someone as talentless and young and naiive to the industry as Charity Rahmer was not suggested to replace the role of "Lily"..... :blink: Surely, they were kidding us all.

• Members

I don't blame Martha for asking for storyline approval giving the abysmal state of the show. One just needs to look at the mess that is Carly Snyder. Poor Maura wins an Emmy, and quickly deteriorates into one of the most unwatchable characters on daytime. JMO.

Archived