ATWT fans protest (Luke/Noah)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly....many things outside of soap operas are worthy of protest: Iraq, lack of health coverage for Americans, immigration issues, destroying the environment, violence in The Middle East. I can go on and on

How are you these days, Ryan? Stay a cool and rad dude! :)

• Members

I just wonder if someone has ever considered buying him Brokeback Mountain on DVD :lol:

I did see the film in theaters....but, to me, they did not even touch on the fact in the film that they were gay men. It was built more on the love between them and it turned out to be a good story. Who cares about sexuality? The love was there. Obviously it broke barriers since it was the first film to show sex scenes between two men but the dialogue based the relationship on love, not their taboo sexuality.

• Members

I never claimed Nuke hurt ratings. But "being #3" doesn't mean what it used to. It means everyone else has fallen, not that we've risen significantly. At the end of June, we were at 2.1. July saw one week at 2.2. August brought one week at 2.2 (the week after the kiss), which was a .1 rise. Sept held steady at 2.2. Oct (the BIG month for Nuke) held pretty much at 2.3. We've held steady since then, with Noah and Luke being used sparingly in the last months of 07

19. Van Hansis (Luke Snyder) - 74

(3/5/2/7/4/4/8/11/8/11/7/4)

25. Jake Silbermann (Noah Mayer) - 55

(-/-/-/-/-/9/7/11/8/10/7/4)

and so far in 08

19. Van Hansis (Luke Snyder) - 14

(4/10)

28. Jake Silbermann (Noah Mayer) - 11

(3/8)

I'll guarantee that CBS heard complaints from the day it became apparent to anyone that Luke was going to come out. They didn't need some anti-gay complaints to tread cautiously with the subject matter. And they obviously haven't done away with Luke or Noah.

I'm not going to slap CBS/P&G on the back for taking nearly twenty years to progress from showing Hank take his lover's hand (as they sent the character off to care for him) to a couple of kisses between boyfriends. But, I'm not going to get in their faces either for being the ONLY soap to even attempt the story. Even with two green, green actors who to me, look uncomfortable "doing" anything.

And honestly, the article didn't read as Nuke fans supporting P&G. Or really opposing AFA. It reads as all about whether or not they kiss. This campaign started when people got completely PISSED they didn't kiss on the Valentine's episode, period.

I will say this...I flove SON. But I fully expected to have my ass handed to me after my first reply. :D

• Members

I really dislike statements like these. I'm a queer male of color and quite frankly, I don't like the comparison between race and sexual orientation. You can't choose to be your race, but you discover your sexual orientation. There is a difference. As for the pyschotic luke/noah fans, well for them to begin this boycott/letter writing campaign is typical. They are extremely rabid and annoying. Any criticism against their precious luke/noah is met with claims of homophobia.

• Members

I never mentioned whether sexuality is something you choose or not. Some people believe sexual orientation is a lifestyle choice. Some do not. Some people struggle with their sexual orientation all throughout their lives. Some people are confused, experimenting, bisexual or never put a label on their sexual orientation. Some people choose to act on or not act on their attraction to the same gender. But you can never choose your race or the color of your skin. The comparison is extremely flawed.

• Members

Just want to say WORD. I have been saying this since they started doing this that I hoped it didnt backfire on them. I love Luke and Noah but I havnt' got involved in this. The only time I was upset about them not kissing was over the mistletoe thing and the Valentines Day show other than that I am fine with it. I think the constant freak out with Luke and Noah fans over their new storyline is ridiculus to.

• Members

I see what you are saying, however the basics of the two in the situation we are in are the same. gay people are a major minority on soap operas, and if this was an aferican-american couple not kissing, the outrage would be huge, same for any minority.

but once again, the issue is not nuke not kissing. it is much bigger than them, but for nuke fans there is nothing bigger. the issue is the show. and a major shift needs to happen behind the scenes. this show has no romance, no nothing. it has no emotional depth at all. and i see that as a much bigger issue as a soap opera fan than i do a couple not kissing - gay, dtright, black, white, whatever.

• Members

No the issue is not the same. Not by a mile. And by the way what does this mean: the basics of the two in the situation we are in are the same. ? The situation we are in? What are you talking about?

As for racism on TV, it still occurs on a regular basis involving REAL people. for example 1. dog the bounty hunter and 2. don imus. both uttered extremely racist things, yet imus got paid a hefty settlement in millions, took a paid vacation and then got a new show for his platform of hatred. dog the bounty hunter got his own show back. imus and dog are actual, real people. luke/noah are not. so i think it's so annoying that everyone has to get behind these 2 and go on a crusade for them to kiss just because they're gay. political statement!

and your statement of "any minority" is quite frankly laughable. where are the people of color on soaps: chinese, japanese, filipino, taiwanese, singaporean, turkish, iranian, indonesian, malaysian, etc.? oh that's right, no where to be found. if anything, there should be a protest on the lack of RACIAL minorities on soaps. but you don't see any protest/boycott/letter writing campaign for that.

just like there was no rabid protest for korean blair being transformed into white, southern blair on oltl. that was extremely racist yet the audience did not even blink.

• Members

There was a huge picture of Luke and Noah on the cover my local newspaper magazine today with the AP article inside. I don't know if Nuke fans are rabid, but they are not as numerous as they think and they taking on the AFA with its thousands of members so good luck to them. Better luck to the rest of us who want ATWT to improve its writing so the show can improve.

Adding to comment on race, I was far more outraged with Elena Goode (Jade) was fired. She was the last main African American character on ATWT and no one seemed to blink an eye. I find the declining numbers of minority characters on CBS as a whole disturbing. I wrote a protest letter than and didn't see any outrage on the Internet which is really too bad because people who are marginalized due to their ethnicity, race, gender and sexuality should support each other's causes.

Archived