Y&R: Week of February 18th

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What a fab episode today! Signy was HEARTBREAKING and I am really sad to see her die. And the actor who plays Vic Jr. is just FANTASTIC! With good looks to boot! I really hope that he continues to be as great and stay long. Loved the Gloria/Jeffrey thing too....

YES! I was just thinking of that! Y&R is great and it has started having EMOTION again, but the pacing! If this were Bell writing, or Alden, it would take months and months for Hope to die, Gloria would be THINKING of her plan for weeks, lol I just hope they get back to the slow pace, 1) because that's how the show was, 2) as you said, one of the BIG things that's wrong with B&B is its very quick pace.

• Members

Funny, sheilaforever, I hadn't thought about the pace of the show, but you're right. Bill Bell or Jack Smith would have paced most of the stories out over a longer period. In some ways (don't shoot me!), I like that the pace has been tightened up in some respects. Otherwise we might have four whole episodes of Cane & Lily trying to bring the sexy in their slightly contrived love scene (it would have worked better if it had been more naturalistic and organic, IMO).

But now thinking about it, Lord knows I would have loved at least another week or two of Signy Coleman. Of reconnecting with Victor. Victor reassessing his life like he did back in the early 90s when he met Hope. Trying to connect with Vic. Taking a longer time to re-establish this new, pivotal character.

I will say that watching Y&R yesterday was as close as I got to feeling I was watching the REAL Y&R. True Y&R. I wish Hope didn't have to die but I appreciate that her death wasn't flippantly done like it would have been on other shows *cough*GH/AMC*cough* Her death wasn't about other characters the writers are busy propping up. Her death was about Hope. Obviously, Victor (and her son) are strongly affected, but the show wasn't about "Poor Victor, it's all about his pain."

I want Gloria to get caught and pay for her crimes... but I don't want Judith Chapman to leave. I despised Glo during LML's tenure because she was painted as the victim and I hated being told to feel sorry for her. Here, she is what she is. And everything JC is doing, every move Gloria makes, is directly or indirectly linked to what made Michael Baldwin such an intriguing character. The manipulation, the vanity, the pettiness. The obsession over her sons (she practically has Kevin on a chain). Also the scheming and some of the humour. We can see why Michael became the way he did -- in large part because of her and her choices.

• Members

I liked today's show and I know that once Victor Jr. hits Genoa City, the other Newman kids are gonna loose their [!@#$%^&*]. I love how realistic Victor jr. is about hos relationship with Victor. He doesn't care that he's TGVN and he will only deal with Victor on his time and Victor isn't trying to force himself on him.

I can see something brewing with Vicki wanting to rush back to work. Maybe some kind of anxiety where she left out because she has nothing to do but be a housewife.

Thank God for the Gloho free day.

• Members

Re: Vic. I agree that I really hope Griffith and the future head-writer take their time to establish and explore Victor Jr. From what I have seen up until now, I am really happy with Vic because Griffith and Bell seem to already have an established way of writing Vic and that always helps.

The show is indeed starting to go back to its roots and it's making me really happy. I haven't felt like HAVING to watch Y&R in quite some time, but it still has lots of room for improvement. And I agree about Gloria. Now that she's better written, I really really like her much more. Gloria has this funky quality now and she is quite entertaining. I'd like to see her go down, but IA about her not leaving the show. If well written, Gloria can be a very interesting character. Great observation about Gloria's actions etc and how those have affected Michael.

• Members

I completely agree! Both of them made me teary.... Such a great perfomance from both of them. Kay (and Cooper) really transforms Amber. And the better writing doesn't hurt. Unfortunately, when Amber is with Jana or Nick it's snoozeville. Loved that Vic hasn't given into Victor yet. We all know that he will, but it's nice that the pace hasn't dictated a reconciliation yet (although I DO take offense at that hug, it felt too quick and too happy end-y. Ha, Victoria mentions living in Florence, and later e-mails Sabrina.... Was that a small piece of everyday, "meaningless" writing, or do we have a storyline in our hands? I really hope they don't go the: "Victoria falls for her brother" way. For one, it wouldn't make sense since Victoria is really happy and in love with J.T.

• Members

That is really true.... There was something very nice in Victor taking all the "crap" that Vic gave him (justified or not). If this were Nick, Victor would have blasted him five episodes ago. I guess that's what happens when you just get to really meet your son lol. It was very nice to see a more patient Victor and more understanding. You could see that he wanted to start yelling: "I will CRUSH you!" but he held back :D

Archived