• Last Reply
  • Members

Best Soap: The Bold and the Beautiful

Most Disappointing Soap: The Young and the Restless

Most Improved Soap: Guiding Light

Best Story: Spike is deaf (minus the revenge), AMC

Worst Story: Out of the Ashes, Y&R

Best News: Cady McClain returns to ATWT

Worst News: Passions gets cancelled (even though I do not care for the show, it is bad news for the industry when a soap is cancelled)

Best Exit: Asa Buchanan, OLTL

Worst Exit: Dixie Cooney, AMC

Best Head Writer: Ron Carlivati, OLTL

Worst Head Writer: Lynn Marie Latham, Y&R

Best AND Most Tortured Couple: Zach/Kendall, AMC

Worst Couple: Lucky/Sam, GH

Most Rejuvenated Male Character: Aidan Devane, AMC

Most Rejuvenated Female Character: Stephanie Forrester, B&B

Best Secret: Tommy is Todd's son (before the custody fight), OLTL

Worst Secret: Kathy is Kate, AMC

Most Annoying Male Character: Ryan Lavery, AMC

Most Annoying Female Character: Sam McCall, GH

Best Quadrangle: Brooke/Eric/Taylor/Ridge, B&B

Worst Quadrangle: Jason/Liz/Lucky/Sam, GH

Best New Couple: Aidan/Greenlee, AMC

Worst New Couple: Logan/Lulu, GH

Best New Male Character: Ritchie, AMC

Best New Female Character: Kate, GH

Best Villain: Anthony Zachhara, GH

Best Villainess: Janet Green, AMC

Worst Villain: Alexander Cambias, Sr, AMC

Worst Villainess: Phyllis Newman, Y&R

Biggest Waste of Talent: Drake Hogestyn, DAYS

Best Triangle: Lucas/Sami/EJ, DAYS

Worst Triangle: Shawn/Belle/Phillip, DAYS

Best Cast: Guiding Light

Worst Cast: Passions

• Members

And best coincidence of all? Cheri, who turned out to be Winston's ex-wife and Noah's mother, was portrayed by Robin Mattson...who once played Frank's ex-wife, Delia Reid Ryan, on RYAN'S HOPE.

Granted, I don't think Daniel Hugh Kelly was still playing Frank at that point. Still, it certainly made me giddy to think, in a way, "Frank" finally gave "Delia" what she deserved.

• Members

:rolleyes: Uh...no. :lol:

ATWT took the easy way out by making this guy a one dimensional wacko who slaughtered everybody that challenged his moral compass. Was stuffing Dusty in a car trunk a part of this "great story" too? Cleo and JJ's kidnappers more than enough on the demented front. Now Noah has no family anchors in Oakdale, and now the only conflict in his relationship with Luke is his own instability. Everyone in Oakdale will be TOTALLY accepting of them now because all opposition to the pairing was condensed to one man who was hurried out of town in no time. The cumulative 5 minutes that Helen Wagner spent on the show all year were better than Daniel Hugh Kelly's tenure.

• Members

Best Soap: One Life To Live

Worst Soap: AMC, Passions

Most Improved Soap: One Life to Live and DAYS as of late

Best Storyline: John's Death and Marlena's quest for vengeance on DAYS

Worst Storyline: DAYS' Vendetta, Carly pretends to be dying on ATWT

Best News: Megan McTavish was fired, Passions cancelled, Ed Scott comes to DAYS

Worst News: Dena Hackley returns to Salem

Best Departure: John on DAYS

Worst Departure: Y&R's Victoria Rowell, DAYS' Renee Jones, AMC's Cady McClain

Best Head Writer: OLTL Ron's Carvilati, and now that his stories are becoming more balanced and riveting, Hogan Sheffer for DAYS

Worst Head Writer(s): AMC Barbra and James, McTrash-ish

Best Couple: Marlena/Stefano, DAYS (not a traditional couple, but still, the chemistry between Dee and Joe is electric, even when the hatred is at the boiling point)

Worst Couple: Max/Stephanie, DAYS

• Members

ICAM. A good villain should always have a sympathetic side, and this character really didn't at all.

I thought the story could have been so much more interesting if the lines of morality were a little bit blurred. What if the father struggled to accept Noah's homosexuality, and trully wanted to be okay with it, but couldn't help feeling weirded out by it? I think many people really do feel that way. What if something happened to the father early on in his life, like being abused by a homosexual man, that caused him to become deeply homophobic, and he could really go through an emotional journey as he learned to accept his son?

There were so, so many opportunities with this storyline, and I really feel that the limited themselves with the path they ultimately chose. The father was a one-dimensional villain, and has had little resulting impact on the show. The actor did a fine job, I suppose, but he couldn't make up for his characte, at least in my eyes.

• Members

Perhaps, but you'd have to tread very carefully. You wouldn't want to leave viewers with the impression that homosexuals are also child molesters.

For the most part, I enjoyed Daniel Hugh Kelly's WORLD turn; and believe it or not, I see a great deal of potential in him, and in Colonel Mayer. Of course, there's the matter of the dead ex-wife-turned-madam...but, you know, I doubt Cheri's even dead.

• Members

Agreed, and I did have the same thought before posting, but decided that having an extremely rootable gay love story happening simultaniously, and presumably having the father eventually learn the error of his ways for being homophobic, would counterract that. I agree, though, that it would be delicate.

• Members

Best Soap: I can't say that one particular soap has been great all year long - but OLTL and B&B have been on fire for the last couple of months. Their stories have been fantastic and each episode is never boring.

Worst Soap: Guiding Light

My once favorite soap has just been in utter shambles all year long. Once Jonathan and Tammy left, everything went downhill from there. The Josh/Cassie pairing is so painful and unrealistic to me, and don't get me started on "Josh the minister" story. Teenage Daisy is a horrifying character, along with that Natalia and catterpillar eyebrows Rafe. I could go on and on about what I can't stand about GL, but that won't do any good. Nothing is right with this soap anymore.

Most Improved Soap: One Life To Live

During the first part of the year, OLTL wasn't very good at all. Dena's never been great on there, but it got pretty bad for that period of time. But then a sainted writer named Ron Carlivati got his chance to improve OLTL, and boy has he ever. His attention to history, the vets, and drama has made this soap a real soap opera.

Best Storyline: I can't really narrow it down to one, but the who shot Stephanie on B&B has been great. Viki in "Paris" has been great too.

Worst Storyline: Satin Slayer - AMC

Best News: Megan McTavish finally got booted from AMC. Megan was so awful for her last 6 months - I just couldn't watch it anymore. I was thrilled when she got replaced - sure B&E aren't the greatest, but to me, they're far better than McTavish was at some times.

Worst News: Stuart Damon's firing from GH. Another classic GH vet firing, and Stuart Damon didn't deserve it. At least he isn't completely gone...

Best Departure: Christina Chambers as Marty. I never cared for her as Marty. I'm not saying she was a bad actress, she just wasn't the right fit for Marty. Only Susan Haskell is right for her, IMO. However, her exit story was great and wonderfully executed.

Worst Departure: Cady McClain as Dixie. We only got to have her back for a year and then McTrash decided to kill her off. Heck, we barely had Dixie back. We had some kind of Clone-Dixie running around Pine Valley not acting like herself at all. Her exit story was awful as well, POISONED PANCAKES meant for St. Babe!!! Come on! I remember reading a interview of B&E back when they started, and they said that they wouldn't have killed Dixie off that way McTavish did because her death barely had any fallout that made her death worth it. I couldn't have agreed with them more. Oh well.

Best Head Writer: Ron Carlivati (see Most Improved Soap)

Worst Head Writer: David Kreizman (see Worst Soap in additon) His stories are random and don't go anywhere. He pairs up random characters and throws them into silly stories and triangles that don't have a point.

Best Couple: Luke and Noah. ATWT has broken new ground with this story. JP may have her many flaws, but she has done an awesome job with it. Because of it, I have gone back to watching ATWT full time again - and it's not so bad.

Worst Couple: I don't know if this counts as a couple, but I'm going with "The Quad" on ATWT. That is the dullest group of characters to pair together and not to mention boring.

• Members

Best Soap: Bold and the Beautiful - Its a serious soap opera that somehow is all camp, without insulting the genre. A steller cast (minus that "actress" who plays donna). An amazing team behind the scenes. Its a internbational hit - and one of the most watched shows in the world. However, thats only a few reasons why it deserves best soap. Lets also not forget that in a year when all soaps declined in quality, infront or behind the scenes (sometimes both), B&B actually improved over what it was last year. The char's are complex and have layers. There is no one thats pure saint or pure sinner. Oh.. and it even pulls out the romance sometimes.

Worst Soap: I honestly dont even know how to pick one between Y&R, ATWT, AMC, & GL. They all were horrid awful perhaps the worst year in each's history. I gues ill have to do process of elemenation. I wont say Y&R ONLY because of its steller amazing almost flawless cast and the look of the show. Nuke's storyline saves ATWT for me from making it worst soap. Now these next two. I dont know how to pick. In fact i cant.

Most Improved Soap: One Life - No, RC isnt god. However, he is the best thing to hit soaps this year. He turned OLTL around in a matter of weeks. OLTL would have joined the above for worst soap if it wasnt for him comming along. And you can see it when you watch the show. The vets are on, the annoying people are not, the supporting people are intersting again. And he brought in some newbies that fans liked from the start.

Best Storyline: GH's Metro Court. was it a stunt for sweeps? yep. Was it amazing.. no. But it was the best of the year. Mr Craig was great. Carly/Sonny were intersting, Alans heart attack, Robin being shot, Sam getting out. Spin & Jason teamwork. Liz telling Jason hes the father. And those oh so amazing scenes of Maxie and "Three" in the vault.

Worst Storyline: Satin Slayer on AMC & Days Vendetta. need i explaine?

Best News: Ed Scott comes to Days. I knew even with how bad Days was Ed would work as much magic as he could, and he did. He made it watchable. He made the show look good and gave the cast some much needed direction, and you could tell.

Worst News: Passions is cancelled. Its just bad for the genre when any soap goes.

Best Departure: John Black, Days. I dont know how DH or John lasted for as long as he did - oh wait yes i do. Dee Hall. John brought Marlena down for so many years. A huge weight is gone from days and Marlena can onc eagain shine and become a heroine again.

Worst Departure: ATWT's Alexandra Chando. There was NO need for her to leave at all. NONE. Maddie was intersting and coulda been complex. She gave henry a family, and was a great friend to Luke, Will, & Gwen. There could had been so much more drama by keeping her on and making Noah bi. I do belive she got the ax to please Nuke fans, and thats pathtic.

Best Head Writer: OLTL RC. See why OL got most improved.

Worst Head Writer(s): AMC's Megan McTrash & then Barbra and James why? hi yeah, did ya watch AMC ever this year? I honestly cant tell what one was worse.

Best Couple: Umm... was there one? i gues ATWT Nuke by default.

Worst Couple: AMC's Zendull. For so many reasons i cant even began to name. Part due to the actors attitudes, part due to the fanbase, part due to them being on screen way to much, part due to all the propping that is done for them...

• Members

BEST SOAP: BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL! Since Kay Alden came on board, this show has been kicking ass! Two terrific SLs in recent months, and a stellar cast!

WORST SOAP: YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. What more can I add to those who have gone before me? I hope LML will soon be gone! :angry:

BEST STORYLINE: A tie between Brooke's rape and Who Shot Stephanie, both on B&B

WORST STORYLINE: A tie between that Touch The Sky crap on DAYS & anything involving Constantine on B&B.

MOST OVERHYPED SL THAT WAS ACTUALLY A DISAPPOINTMENT: The return of the Dimeras/the feud with the Bradys.

BEST ACTOR: Peter Bergman, Jack Wagner

WORST ACTOR: Trevor Donovan & Marcus Patrick

BEST ACTRESS: Katherine Kelly Lang: it's been her year to shine! :D

WORST ACTRESS: Alison Sweeney - I'm so tired of her overacting!

BEST HEADWRITER: Brad Bell/Kay Alden

WORST HEADWRITER: Lynn Marie Latham

MOST DISAPPOINTING HEADWRITER: Hogan Sheffer

BEST NEWS: Kay Alden being hired by Brad Bell/B&B

WORST NEWS: Drake Hogestyn fired/the continuing disregard of many of the soaps for talented vets.

Archived