AMC: SID speculation on the possible returning character(s)

• Members

From the new SID:

Hello, Hubbards?

The In depth story:

The scribes recently hinted that plans are in the works to address AMC's lack of ethnic diversity in a big way. Strong characters of color were "one of the things, when we started watching the show and talked to Brian Frons, that we said the show really needs and used to have," Brown said. "It's an area that needs to be addressed not just in dribs and drabs. It needs to be dramatically addressed, and that's what we plan to do: bring back a family"

The writers refused to elaborate, saying that details of their casting "wishlist" weren't final. If SID had to guess, we'd bet that AMC would like to return part of the Hubbard clan to Pine Valley as soon as possible. The family's most recent presence on the show began and ended in 2002, when Dr. Frank Hubbard was dumped by Simone and left Pine Valley soon after. But Frank's parents, Angie and Jesse, enjoyed huge popularity in the early 80's when the young black couple carried majorstoryline.

Could the former co-stars be on the verge of a reunion? "If it happens, I think it'll be a great thing for the audience," Brown cautiously said of AMC's secret plan. "It'll answer alot of the problems that we've had in the area of diversity casting, because it opens things up in a great way."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^Jesse is dead, so he can't come back. However, his look-alike cousin, Jacob, is alive and well. Jacob (also played by Darnell Williams) was paired with Angie (Debbi Morgan) on Loving, a soap B&E also (unsuccessfully) wrote for.

I wouldn't want Debbi and Darnell subjected to AMC's current crap state, though I loved the two.

• Members

I would love if they brought back Angie and Jesse, probably AMCs best supercouple from the supercouple era. But would Debbi Morgan and Darnell Williams, two fantastic actors, actually return to AMC, especially as it is now?

• Members

Bringing back Jesse from the dead would be a truly awful move, especially since his death is another important moment in AMC history, which helped Debbi Morgan win her Emmy. I highly doubt either actor would stand for such historical butchering, if Darnell does return, it will be as Jacob, not Jesse.

• Members

Well, take this for what it is worth. I can't prove it but here it is.

A couple weeks ago Brian Frons did a lecture at Syracuse University. After the lecture, several of the faculty (including a friend of mine) went out with him for pizza. At that time, he told my buddy that he was planning on bringing back Debbi Morgan and Darnell Williams back to AMC. He said it would be done since they were incredibly popular at one time and this would satisfy long time viewers. Also, it would address the network's racial diversity concerns on AMC.

I don't really watch AMC much anymore but it seems to me that this would be a good move.

Archived