ALL: How long have you been watching soaps?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been watching since I was in kindergarten :)

I used to watch with my grandmother since my mom hates soaps. I remember watching Y and R when Leslie had Lance's baby but he was married to Laurie. Does that sound right? I think late 70's early 80's. Its the only storyline I remember from those early years.

I started watching AMC when Jenny and Jesse ran off to NY and she began modelling - so about '81 or '82.

I began watching GH when Anna first showed up in town with the scar so I am guessing also early 80's- maybe 84?

ATWT caught my attention when I saw Holden in the barn with Lily :D - again early 80's- so about 85.

I only watched OLTL when Roger Howarth played Todd. I have to admit I only tuned into the show for him and never watched when he was'nt on.

I think I've watched every show at one time or another but I really have only continued to follow AMC and GH but almost never watch them anymore. I just don't know who these characters are anymore. I good plot can suck me in again but if I end up staring in disbelief at something a character has done that is just out of their realm of possiblity I end up turning it off again.

Even with all that soap watching I am still under 35. I know most of my friends who watched in their elementary and high-school years don't watch anymore.

• Members

I've been watching for-friggin-EVER! Which is why I am finding it SO hard to let go.

I was 11 when I first got into it.

Santa Barbara: 1986-1990

Days: 1987-1999 (on and off)

B&B: 1987-present (on and off)

Y&R: 1988-2007

GH: 1988-present (on and off)

Sunset Beach: 1997-1999 (entire run)

OLTL: 2005-present (on-and-off)

Right now, though, I'm only watching B&B. With one eye possibly on GH.

• Members

Days of our Lives: 1993-Present: It's my baby. I'll watch the show until it's cancelled which will probably be very soon :(

The Young & The Restless: Off an on since 1994

The Bold & The Beautiful: 1997-2004, off and on since. I've gotten really tired of the repeated storylines. And I can't stand Brooke.

As The World Turns: 2005-Present I've really started to enjoy this show. I love Carly, Barbara, Meg, Rosanna

Guiding Light: 1996-2001 I maybe catch an episode a month since.

General Hospital: The only soap I've never really watched. I'll maybe catch 2 or 3 episodes a month if nothing's on. I have a crush on Kelly Monaco & Laura Wright.

One Life To Live: 2002-2006 I watch an episode every now and again. I had to stop watching because of Dena Higley.

All My Children: 1995-2000 In the late 90's I didn't have cable so I only got AMC, Sunset Beach & Y&R. My mom's friend taped DAYS for us. I loved the late 90's of AMC. Loved Hayley, Mateo, Maria, Erica, Edmund, Janet, Gillian.

Sunset Beach: The entire run. Loved that show.

Another World: 1995-To the end.

Port Charles: I watched the last year and really enjoyed it. I wish I could of seen the earlier years which I heard were way better.

• Members

I've been watching soaps since I was in the womb! My mom got hooked on them while she was pregnant. I'd watch them with my mom and nana when I was baby. I don't remember much, but I can say I started understanding who some characters were when I was about 4 (I was born in 86).

So I've been watching since I was 4.

ABC Soaps:

AMC - For as long as I can remember. Erica and Dimitri were my FAVORITE couple growing up.

OLTL - I don't remember much of this show from my early years, but I know the first story that stands out in my mind is Marty's rape. I wasn't supposed to watch when my aunts (only a few years older than I am) figured out what was getting ready to happen, but I woke up from my nap early and watched anyway.

GH - This is the soap that I've watched forever. I'm a lifer baby!

Loving/The City - I remember waking up to the Loving theme song, lol. I don't remember much story wise, but the theme song was my favorite, lol. "Take me in your arms, I could use a little loving" :D

Port Charles - Watched off and on until the beginning of the arcs. I kept missing the show, but I tuned back in around Secrets. I missed the final 2 arcs though because of school.

CBS Soaps:

ATWT - Off and on since maybe 93

B&B - I could never get into the soap the way I wanted.

Y&R - Grew up watching it. My grandmother (my father's mother) had a big crush on Victor.

GL - Never really got into it hardcore until maybe 02. I am familiar with other stories b/c my family watched it.

NBC Soaps:

DAYS - Again, off and on since I was a child. Marlena's possession scared the [!@#$%^&*] out of me! The first big story I remember is Carly being buried alive. I used to confuse Bo on DAYS with Bo on OLTL. I know they don't look a like, but when trying to follow the stories, I'd try to say Bo on OLTL did what Bo on DAYS did, lol.

AW - I didn't get hooked on this show until about 96. I loved the opening theme, that's what did it for me.

Sunset Beach - Watched the show from beginning to end. Again, it was the opening theme that hooked me. I hated the second one....

PSNS - HATED THE SHOW!! I was pissed when SB and AW were canceled. I didn't think the show was good AT ALL! I tried watching off and on and hated it. Though in the last maybe.....8 months I really got into it. Now i miss I would have watched it longer.

SB - My family weren't big SB fans. They'd tune in ever now and again, but I don't remember much of the show.

• Members

I have been watching DAYS since I was 7 I do believe. Whatever year Carly was buried alive until about 2004 then I quit watching regularly.

DAYS: 1992-04; 05-present

AMC: 2004-05; have watched spordically since

Y&R: 1997-07

GH: 2006-present

GL: 1999-present (not regularly though)

ATWT: 1999-present (not regularly)

OLTL: 2004-06 (spordically watched since)

Another World: I watched spordically because my Mom watched when it was cancelled we started watching ATWT because Jake and a few other went over there and that bled into watching GL. When we got SoapNet I would tune into the ABC soaps at night a lot.

• Members

I'd always watch a little when I was younger, but I really havent missed an episode since..

AMC - April 2003-ish. Maria returning from the amenisa, Maureen/Aidan, The whole Jack/Erica/Chris triangle. I remember every episode was SO amazing (for me!) that May sweeps.

GH - Summer 2002. Courtney was doing that stripper thing & Brenda was about to return. Amazing! I stopped watching a little last year because it was so horrid, but I picked up full time right after the Metro Court thingy.

OLTL - I'm trying to remember but I think I started watching OLTL around late 2002 with the whole Mitch thing but picked up on it full time in mid 2003. I really can't remember the first storyline I really got into.

In 2004 I watched ATWT and B&B. ATWT mostly for Sarah Brown and I picked up on B&B. Then I got busy and just watched ABCD.

• Members

This is a fun topic! Let's see.....

All My Children - 1975-1982

One Life To Live - 1978- present

General Hospital - 1978-1984

Guiding Light - 1984 - present

Edge of Night - 1978 - 1982 (local affiliate dropped it!)

Ryan's Hope - 1979- 1982 (local affiliate dropped it!)

• Members

I think I was watching in the womb too! I'm 31 now and I can't remember ever not watching CBS soaps. I watched all until I was out of high school. Somewhere along the line when I was in college, I stopped watching B&B and ATWT and eventually Y&R. GL has always been my favorite and the only one I've watched continually since I was a kid. I had such a crush on Vincent Irizarry when he played Lujack (85-87). I still do, but I don't like his character on Y&R. When Y&R started airing on SoapNet, I would catch episodes here and there, but eventually started watching again everyday. I also watched Generations during the brief time it was on. I really liked it and was disappointed when it got canceled.

• Members

Wow! So there are a couple of people that have been watching Days longer than me. I have been watching since 1981. The only time I ever stopped was when Alice was "killed." Friends joke that I am a walking encyclopedia of Days history.

AW from 1983-the end.

I watched the entire run of Santa Barbara and still miss it!

I've only been watching GH since about 1992.

Archived