Changes Planned to Save 'Turns' and 'Light'

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The reality is that trade publications and advertisers aren't interested in hearing about writing, etc. It's all about the bottom line. I do think that more outdoor/remote scenes help -- look at ATWT's ratings for the most recent outdoor scenes. We can only hope that better writing/writers will be forthcoming. At least, they are trying to do something to keep them going. Where's a Gloria Monty when you need her!

• Members

I think perhaps the scariest part of that article for me was seeing how many people actually watch Judge Judy. And how is that possible, by the way? I think Dr. Phil and the afformentioned judge are two of the most revolting peple on television, so if they're doing better than soaps and cost a lot less, bad times lay ahead.

Frankly, this article really scared me. I mean, ATWT is simply not that far behind the other soaps at all. I just wonder if we'll be down to Y&R and GH in ten years, because I don't see how soaps, in the current climate, can gain substantially more viewers.

• Members

Getting outside of badly lit studios to actually see what Oakdale and Springfield look like is a great move with the potential to change every other soap too. But how can Bloom not know that the blueprint for success is in the writing? It seems like the changes in the article apply more to GL than ATWT. We'll see. I wonder if the new cameras will be flattering to actors, or just expose hammy soap performances.

• Members

I really like the sounds of this actually, granted like Ryan and other's said the writing also needs to change, but I do like the sounds of this, sure it is cutting costs but this article made it sound like we will be seeing better production values than we are seeing today, I mean frankly ATWT is a mess right now production wise, so this might be an improvement. I really like the idea of making it real looking, that could be a major step forward for soaps in general. I also like that it sounds like it won't be shaky cam either because the cameras will be in the walls, which means they won't be moving all around like the steady cam does, lol. I really like the idea of the outside sets. :)

• Members

This certainly SOUNDS good to me. British soaps have been filmed this way for decades and they look really excellent. I don't view it as a lowering of production values as much as a shift in production values.

True, the cameras will be a bit jerky (they are not being put in the walls...what the article said is that the sets will have 4 walls instead of 3) but I think, if done well, ATWT and GL will really look fantastic. I hope it all works out and if it does that more soaps will follow suit.

• Members

"The low-rated vintage soaps are on the bubble for renewal in July and CBS is taking dramatic steps to try and keep the classic series on the air."

Nothing storywise seems to be making a big change for the show it seems...

When it comes to the writing I don't have a major problem with the writers or the dialogue. However I'm wouldn't mind if they made changes just so I can see whether or nto it will actually make a big difference in how people view the show or the ratings.

As long as the show doesn't look ugly I'll be pleased.

Archived