ALL: What is the big Deal with incest on Soaps?

• Members

My point is that its a Soap Opera and anything can happen in a Soap. I think an incest relationship is a good idea along its not blood related and that what exactly Days and Y&R is doing. Both are pairing two couples who are not related to each other by blood. Y&R is pairing adoptive brother and sister and IMO that is just sicker then Max and Stephanie on Days. Now days is pairing adoptive Niece and Nephew, IMO Max and Stephanie can date all they want. They are not related to each other by blood.

Max did not grow up with Stephanie. Of course he had that little scene when Stephanie was born and he held her but he was alittle boy, do u aspect him to remember holding Stephanie when he was alittle boy, i don't. Max and Stephanie was on the racing circuit together and did not even consider that they were related by adoption.

I read some posters saying its gross what both Days and Y&R are doing but i much rather have Max and Stephanie be together then the one on y&r. The point is in Soaps its ok to date someone who is related to you by ADOPTION but in real life it is not ok.

I know people said Hogan lied when he came on and saying no more Max dating neither of his nieces but i think he said that because he saw 0 chemistry between Shayna and Darin. Now with Shelley, she has sexy chemistry with Darin and plus she is the 10X better actress too. Darin and Shelley just make a cute couple and sizzy on screen together. I just love Darin and shelley on screen together, they probably have almost as hot of chemistry then Ali and James.

All writers lie, it depends on how the story go. I think pairing Max and Stephanie together would be a good story if written well. Make Steve and Kayla do not like it that Max is dating Stephanie. Have conflicts and is max and steph are ment for each other, they will be together.

Whats the big deal with incest on soaps. Its not like the writers are pairing 2 people who are related to each other by blood. I say if 2 people have chemistry like darin and shelley has, then pair them.

I also think Max has the cutest nickname for Stephanie is all of daytime, when he was on the plane TTS, he called her speedracer. That was so cute.

I dont want to get off topic but i am kinda leaning toward the Max and Morgan bandwagon and the Stephanie and Ford Decker bandwagon. :P

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Blood or not, family is family, and to even consider sleeping with someone that is family is just disgusting. It doesn't matter if you share birth parents; if you are raised as siblings, you are expected to act as such. Likewise, when you are an uncle, you are supposed to look out for your niece and put her on the right path, one that doesn't lead to the pot of gold in your pants.

How you can even justify otherwise is beyond me.

Soaps are fantasy and make believe yes, but since when is incest a viewer demanded storyline? Everytime I see the two of them getting cozy onscreen, the only thing that comes to mind is me making out with my own sister, and I proceed to vomit a little and become just a little more gay. It makes me turn the channel for those two minute scenes because I just can't wrap my head around the fact that TPTB are even going there at all.

Whats even more repulsive about this is that the show has reflected to the viewers that the Bradys are a closeknit clan, a group that truly believes in family and being there for each other. Having relatives make out and make googly eyes at each other from across the room takes the moral fiber that the Bradys have held onto tightly for all of these years and yanks it from its foundation. To me, thats the most reprehensible consequence of this nasty fiasco.

• Members

Hows it wrong? Like the original poster said they're not blood related.

Its just hysterically to me how the possiblity of Lily and Devon being paired together is looked at as "incest". They don't share birth parents. They've only been living together for a few years now....

And in all honesty I've never really seen the two of them act really close as siblings. I always thought they would have Devon fall in love with Lily as soon as they started the whole "Dru cares for this random kid" storyline....

As or Max and Stephanie they weren't raised together right? Nor have they ever acted as niece and nephew....its just ridiculous.

When Noah sleeps with Summer on Y&R then call me. Or when Shawn and Chelsae all of sudden end up in the sack together then I"ll complain and rain hell and damnation on the soap.

However as of now its really not that serious. Its not even a real issue.

And StephanieLovie while I agree with what you're saying in this thread I think you may be overdoing it with the multiple threads you've got going...

• Members

Cause it is incest enough said. There are certain things that normal people aren't going to like watching and one of those is incest.

Also, the Stephanie/Max pairing originally came up during the interm head writer I believe because Stephanie was introduced in July and the pairing happened in like August so we can't really blame Reilly much (I can't believe I said that).

• Members

The whole Kissin' Cousins thing on GH really irritated me. First Guza had Maxie and Georgie fight over their adopted cousin Lucas, and then he had Skye and Ned get into a romantic relationship once they found out they weren't biological cousins. Sam McCall slept with her stepfather & half sister's father, Ric.

During her AMC stints, Megan McTavish keeps doing weird borderline incestuous stories with the Chandler family. First Adam was married to Liza, then Adam's twin brother, Stuart married Liza's mother, Marian. Then McTavish has JR marry Babe, and then had Adam marry Babe's mother Krystal. Then almost had Krystal get pregnant with Adam's baby, so JR would've been married to his sister's sister. Also, Sean Montgomery had sex with his cousin Lily's half sister Ava....

It's just weird, and soaps have clearly done it in the past. I don't know why people are acting like this is some horribly disgusting thing, when most of the times, these people are related through legalities only.

• Members

Jonathan and Tammy on GL were a great couple...but they were also aware that their relationship(to a lot of people) was wrong.

To not even acknowledge that the relationship is there is just icky. Which is why I hate the way B&B downplayed Phoebe and Rick's relationship as it being a rivalry against Rick and Ridge. Ridge should have been saying, "You two are basically related!" But, then again, Ridge couldn't have passed judgement, especially after Ridget(which I was all for, because I thought Ronn Moss and Jennifer Finnigan had great chemistry with each other at the time).

I don't really LIKE closely related, adopted, borderline incest stories on soaps, but there are a few exceptions. And those exceptions were acknowledged.

It's like DAYS hasn't even wanted to bring that up.

• Members

Thank you bellcurve!

The simple thing, incest is just wrong. No matter how much chemistry, or lack thereof in the case of Max/Stephanie or Max/Chelsea, it's icky.

So you love rape stories and now you want incest stories....why don't you just go write your own sick fetish soap with rapists & incestuous relationships....on an island with a killer clown too....

<_<

• Members

Sheffer does too remember that lol. Actually a killer clown on an island would be an awesome story for next summer. Have Stephanie/Max/Chelsea/Morgan/Nick/cordi/Ford/Jett win a trip to the Bahamas but it is a trap to lure chelsea and Nick into a trap, a plan designed by Dr Rebert, who wants revenge on them for getting him fired. 3 people dies cordi/jett/Ford.

OMG HOGAN, MAKE IT HAPPEN, I WOULD SO WATCH EVERYDAY AND U WOULD BE MY MAIN MAN LOL. A KILLER CLOWN ON AN ISLAND LOL. AWESOME IDEA

Archived