The Fate of ATWT, With Input From Ellen Dolan & Michael Park

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know people keep carping about DAYS, ATWT and GL ratings. Below is food for thought on the new programming. Replacing soaps with syndicated fare is far from a sure bet:

Meanwhile, the rookie crop saw more trouble from Nielsen, which continued to struggle with audience measurement for some of the new shows for the week ending Sept. 23. Final numbers for rookie strips “TMZ,” “Temptation” and “Jury Duty” were unavailable. “TMZ” scored a 1.9 preliminary rating, although that could change once Nielsen’s numbers are finalized.

That said, NBC Universal’s “Steve Wilkos” held its ground with a 0.9 household rating to lead newcomers that were rated. Despite a drop in audience levels week-to-week of more than 1 million, “Wilkos” saw some key demographic growth, with a 44 percent jump among women 25-54 to a 0.7 rating and a 20 percent rise in week two among women 18-49 to a 0.6.

National ratings for the other three strips to debut this season that were rated were all unchanged, with “Morning Show With Mike and Juliet,” “Merv Griffin’s Crosswords” and “Judge David Young” all unchanged at a 0.8 score.

• Members

I have read--both on this thread and on other message boards--that P&G is the one that is refusing to sell any of its soaps. In fact, according to a rumor (that I've read many times on the Internet), that's the reason why AW did not go to ABC: apparently ABC wanted to cancel PC and replace it with a 30-minute version of AW, but ABC wanted to buy that soap while P&G refused to sell it.

Even though P&G doesn't care about the health of its own soaps, the company seems to have a very paternalistic attitude that says "either we own ATWT and GL or no one does (and they die)."

• Members

In my opionon no one wants to see either soap cancelled. Whenever a soap is cancelled, in my opionoin it hurts the industry overall. With NBC down to one soap DOOL ratings have been in a downward spiral. I think either way if GL goes ATWT will go and vice versa. I believe both shows have their strengths and weaknesses, the problem is ratings are down and people need to watch.

• Members

No I don't think that but I doubt ATWT going off air would cause Y&R to drop from #1 or even have a slgiht impact in all honesty. I'm a moderate fan of ATWT (use to like the show a lot until recently) but I'm way more of a fan of Y&R and GH.

If ATWT went off the air it would be sad but I"d get over it just cuz its been a long time coming between all the constant complaining and the apparent lack of funding that the soaps are being given. I'm just sick of all the debate surrounding whether its good or not....the constant "CBS DAYTIME IS DYING!" or "FIRE SO AND SO PERSON" threads that seem to pop up every day in one form or another.

Its fine that people are disatisfied but its kinda depressing to come into a thread and want to discuss something only to read the same comments over and over again...

Anyways regardless of what happens I'll watch till the end. IF the actors are unhappy then I hope something (whatever that may be) is done to make it better for them. But the reality is that most of us (probably none) are behind the scenes on set everyday at ATWT so we can't really say if they like the show as is or the writers or the sets or the storylines. Or what the general consensus is so I think its unfair to make claims on their behalf. BUT if thats how they truly feel I full support them and I hope they get whatever it is they need since they're the ones doing us a favor and a service by providing a good show day in and day out.

• Members

PGP will never sell their shows.

No disrespect, but who are you? The Soap Opera Spokesperson? Declining quality, declining ratings...

The industry suffered when Texas was cancelled? When The City was cancelled? When Sunset Beach was cancelled? When Port Charles was cancelled? :rolleyes:

Why should people watch any TV show that does not entertain them?

• Members

I'll just add Passions to that list...lol.

As for why people watch I have no idea. Just turn the channel if a soap isn't doing it anymore for you.

However out of all the soaps on air right now I think GL and B&B are tied for worst in quality and overall material. B&B has been quite stale for sometime and its getting so repetitive its scary.

On the other hand GL seems to be changing storylines and going thru the usual "motions" but nothing really seems interesting or catches my attention. The last time I watched GL was just to see Jonathan and Tammy and that was only for Tammy's death scenes whcih were amazing.

So if I had to pick one to go GL would be the obvious choice...

• Members

CBS actually tried to BUY ATWT&GL in 2001...That was when P&G were FULLY committed to there soaps but that was almost 7 years ago...From my point of view, P&G AND CBS seems more committed to ATWT. From Inturn, daytime diaries, the books, the Y&R/ATWT crossover but, if P&G really wants out. BOTH GL and ATWT are a package DEAL so if P&G sells ATWT to CBS or SONY..They will have to sell GL too!!

Archived