Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks for posting.  I agree - I was still on the ledge of feeling badly for her (kind of over it really), but this did it.  Plenty of money for retirement and lifelong therapy.  In the line from Truvy and Steel Magnolias, and a very well known phrase - come down off the cross Naomi, someone needs the wood.

• Members

As a longtime tennis fan, I will always remember when Olivia Newton John sang “Magic” before the start of the Men’s final at the Australian Open. A special moment.

I can think of people doing a lot more damage in this world than Osaka (to quote Biggie “Mo money, mo problems”), for instance…

eww, why is Patrick McEnroe doing interviews on Newsmax?!

• Members

Serena has officially announced her retirement from professional tennis. The upcoming U.S. Open will be her final tournament. She’ll focus her attention on her booming business ventures.

“One thing I’m not going to do is sugarcoat this. I know that a lot of people are excited about and look forward to retiring, and I really wish I felt that way. Ashleigh Barty was number one in the world when she left the sport this March, and I believe she really felt ready to move on. Caroline Wozniacki, who is one of my best friends, felt a sense of relief when she retired in 2020.”

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Well it was kind of writing on the wall.  I would have felt differently had she returned and mowed players down all the way to the finals repeatedly, and it's not that I think she can't do it or doesn't have the will to do it - it's that she's 40 and a mother.  It's one thing to be a mother at 28, or 30, or 35 and do what we were expecting of her.  Because at times she's been superhuman almost.  But age gets you no matter who you are.  Even when you think you know, I've just heard it too many times....and you don't.  You don't know that motherhood will change you and to what extent.  I think the competitive will was there - you can see it when she plays.  But I feel like watching her is somewhat watching myself as I aged - and I always said, I like to win.  I like playing, but I like winning.  And when I feel like I'm not doing it at the skill level I did - I won't want to do it.  I can't stand remembering what I was and comparing it to what I can do now.  I feel like that's where she's at.