Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Aw, Bouchard. :( She totally got destroyed. But she's only 20 and is a rising star. She's made it to 3 straight grand slam semis and this was her first finals. I think she's going to learn from this and eventually pull through...I hope so. And I hope she won't be like a Caroline Wozniacki, who had so much potential but just couldn't break through, and who was also good looking blonde.

How does Kvitova not have more grandslams (only 2)? Talk about a power game! I was very impressed by her play.

What did Bouchard do that made her a "bitch"?

• Members

Because she's Canadian wink.png j/k.

Toups, you and these no talent blondes, I tell yah! First that hack, Swift, and now Bouchard who is just consistent and mentally strong. She has no weapons or power. She will forever be a bridesmaid.

Edited by ChitHappens

• Members

I only read about this today and have no idea whether this is what led to that perception:

Apparently, some are accusing Bouchard of luring Nick Saviano away from British player Laura Robson.

Robson and Bouchard were friends and it was said that Robson introduced Saviano to Bouchard and subsequently Bouchard and Robson then shared Saviano until Bouchard asked Saviano to travel with her for coaching duties and apparently, it was 'bye bye Laura'.

I'm not a believer that sharing coaches among WTA players who may eventually be competitors is a good idea anyway but given the fact that Bouchard and Robson are no longer friends, it makes me wonder just how much of a 'heads up' Robson got before she and Saviano parted ways.

Also, there were some Sharapova-like quotes about not having much use for friendships on tour that has not endeared Bouchard to many.

The comments about her acting entitled-- I haven't been following Bouchard that closely, so I don't know much about that. The French certainly seem to like her and the British appear to as well.

There does seem to be something in the U.S. media that leans toward blondes as evidenced by ESPN's adoration of all things Maria Sharapova but it's only for a certain type of blonde, it seems. I never saw that level of fawning over say, Svetlana Kuznetsova, for example nor Mary Pierce. And even though Kvitova just won, I doubt we'll see it for her either.

• Members

Petra just rolled all over her. Great power game today.

Bouchard is soooo overrated. She was pouting the whole time after the loss and didnt give an interview with ESPN after the match. Milos and Bouchard weaknesses were showcased this weekend....Milos looked very slow and his backhand is just awful...yikes....looks worse than Andy Roddick's. If players were watching the match against Roger they now know how to play Milos. Serve to him wide and hit winner to opposite court. Milos has a serve only and thats about it. Back to Bouchard....didnt know about the LR story....she acts and especially after the match like a total b itch. It looked like Petra had stolen her candy.....LOL

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I didn't mention Kournikova because the behavior the media exhibited toward her was not adoration, it was LUST as evidenced by the way ESPN's 'reporters' followed hordes of teenage boys who tracked Kournikova's every move at tournaments, practically tittering as if they were hormonal teenage boys themselves. Lust by proxy, I call it.

I can remember one such report set to music-- 'I Know What Boys Like' and asking another tennis fan '...what the heck does this have to do with tennis??'.

At the very least, they never tried to say Kournikova was technically superior to anyone as they tried to do when Sharapova played Serena at the '05 Australian Open when Serena, on the verge of losing, staged a comeback and beat Sharapova on her way to the title.

In fact, the media was pretty much done with Kournikova by the time she was barely legal. Kournikova had not won a singles title at a WTA sanctioned event, and although she had won major doubles titles, the media could not justify its Lolita-like focus on her bra (which sports bra company she was a spokewoman for) or which Russian hockey player, 10-15 years her senior she was supposedly married to- because her singles career had fizzled.

Anna, no fool, took every opportunity to use that lustful eye and capitalize off of it (perhaps she knew that career shortening injury would be soon at hand?)

The media was already focusing on Olympic silver medallist, Elena Dementieva and looking for the next Kournikova who could win majors...

...I guess they've found what passes for that version.

I wouldn't call that adoration.

• Administrator

How is Bouchard overrated? She's just 20 and went to 3 straight semifinals. I don't know, I think this just the "good looking girl" syndrome (I don't think this the right word for it...I just can't think of a replacement right now lol) where people look for things/make things up so they can hate on the good looking person. I also think a lot of people mis-use the term overrated and no talent on people they don't like. I hate it when athletes are expected to do interviews right after a loss. Give me a break. Let them cool down before you shove a microphone in their face. I didn't see how she was a bitch after the match. She was naturally disappointed and that's why I saw. And I'm glad I saw her disappointment. I would want her to be upset because that was a big loss. I wouldn't want her to be all smiley and nonchalent. I expect her to be in more grand slam finals.

Of course the better looking players are going to get more attention, that's just the way it goes, especially with women athletes.

She doesn't sound "snotty" or "pouty" to me. She seems to be driven.

• Members

Come on Fed! Somebody has got to give me 18 this year!!!!!

ETA: To touch on why Petra has only 2 slams. When she won Wimby 2011, Petra said it all became too much. She could not take the pressure. At that time, Serena and Sugarmama were making their comebacks and then Vika decided to play some serious tennis. By the time Petra seemed to be pulling it together, Serena and Vika were both at full strength. Vika has returned but it's going to be a gradual process and Serena doesn't know left from right ATM, so Petra can take advantage of this. She's got the game. The match with Venus was a turn around for Petra, IMHO. Too bad that was not the final.

Edited by ChitHappens