Do you see Hogan Sheffer staying with DAYS?

• Members

I really think Ed Scott might bring some Y&R writers to put on the writing team but Sheffer with stay at his post. I think Sheffer needs an Ed Scott to steer him in the right diretion. The DAYS cast apparently loves Hogan Sheffer and love his dialogue. Corday has never been what you call a creative person. Corday is more about business. Scott is more creative and I think with his help that Sheffer will flourish in his role. He had that with Chris Goutman at ATWT. He needs that on DAYS. Not to mention Hogan has had to deal with the worst budget problems. SONY/NBC hired Scott to bring DAYS back to where it was. I would see some old Y&R people brought to the show. Maybe Kathy Foster or other people that LML fired. Latham fired all these people. I think Hogan needs Scott to really make the show stand out. It needs big umbrella stories that will get people tuned in.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IF he's smart, he won't come in and change things immediately. I doubt Scott will be the one who picks and chooses the head-writers, I believe that's ultimately up to Corday. Anyway, they have to think about this smartly, what worked for Y&R, may not work for Days. Besides, they're completely different shows that tend to target different demos. Remember when AW was canceled and P&G switched that show's entire creative team to ATWT? That was an absolute failure and they tried to make ATWT into AW and it just didn't work out, because the shows are noting alike. If Days gets more Y&R-like, it may risk loosing more of the core audience it's already lost this year, something it cannot afford to do.

• Members

I think it depends on how much freedom Sheffer is given. Look at how TPTB responded to his request for a sabbatical at ATWT. His tenure at DAYS will officially cement his reputation, because he'll either establish a pattern or break from it. I'm of the opinion that he's all gung ho for a couple years and then burns out. The Bells, Nixons and Marlands of the industry didn't have that problem. He may be more inspired at DAYS because of the outlandish stories that show has a reputation for. At ATWT he mined history very well for a while before writing the equivalent of the Oakdale Comedy Hour. Time will tell.

• Members

As much as Hogan infuriates me at least 70 percent of the time I don't want him gone just because I'm tired of the instability and would like to see a storyline on this show seen through to its conclusion as it was intended by the HW for the first time in years.

eta: Of course, half the time what infuriates me about Hogan is the way he drops HIS OWN storylines so hmmmm maybe I need to rethink this.

• Members

Corday isn't letting go of Hogan. Part of me thinks bringing in Ed Scott is being done to HELP Hogan. Perhaps Wyman was hindering Hogan somehow. Wyman was believed to have run the day to day operations so he may have been hurting the execution of Hogan's vision and stories.

I wouldn't mind Hogan getting a co-HW who knows the show like Sheri Anderson or B&C. I think Meg Kelly needs to be demoted and the slow should be given to someone who knows the show to help balance out Hogan's stuff while also keeping things consistent. That would work wonders IMO.

• Members

And who would replace him? I mean, I'm not a big fan of Hogan Sheffer, but Corday certainly won't bring an acclaimed soap dramatist, instead we would get Reilly v2.0 or McTavish or something like that. If only these people had a microgram of brain in their skull, they would rehire Beth as co-HW or someone else. They certainly read the boards and they know the feedback the show got when Beth was writing it.

• Members

I hope so too Rick. Hogan is doing a sucky job with his storylines. The show is BORING!!But I also be3live it's to late in the game for ANOTHER head writer change. I think Maybe he needs a better co writer. The ONLY people I would want to replace HOGAN is B&C Anybody else, I really can't think of no one else. Days is so dark and gloomy. The music makes it even worse. I mean Look a B&B, AMC, and Y&R( they compete here in my area) They are all very elegant than u got the blue collar Days and Brady's. It's tiring and old. I am sick of Sami!!!!! This Santo and Colleen thing is for the BIRDS

Archived