What Changes Do You Want New Days EP Ed Scott To Make

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

- Get rid of the special effects

- Better production values

- Bring in someone to help Corday with the background music; Fire Brent Nelson because you don't need three people producing the music

- Hire better actors

- Bring in a Co-Head Writer to help Hogan

- Retool the directing team with Y&R directors; hire new editors too

- Change the "Next time on DAYS" graphic

- Start listing the episode breakdown writer

- Manage the budget and contracts properly

- Break up the couples (Bo/Hope, John/Marlena, Steve/Kayla) because better stories are told when couples aren't actually together

• Members

I don't see him breaking up those couples but I could see him turning Days into a show that depends more on good drama than a show that caters to some fanbases while ignores others. During his era at Y&R, you didn't have couple fanbases. You have the main Y&R fanbase. No fanbases for certain couples and characters. That didn't really begin till 2005 with Daniel and Lily and has grown under the LLM leadership. Another reason why Y&R sucks so bad now.

• Members

I would like to see John and Marlena break apart....how??? maybe explore John's missing years before he became Roman/Priest/Soilder...maybe he had a wife/a partner...and has a child another son possibly...and then John remembers her and wants to be with her...or something i would like that story...

• Members

I won't suggest that Ed Scott order any changes to any of the storylines. Frankly, that's Hogan Sheffer's job. I believe an EP's primary responsibility is to understand the HW's vision for the show and execute it accordingly and to the best of his capabilities.

Nor do I think it wise for Scott to recast anyone immediately. He, and his team, need time to work with the cast. Who knows? Maybe some of the "weaker" actors just need a little more TLC. (Of course, if Scott works with a certain actor or actress for awhile and finds that he/she just isn't up to snuff, then, by all means....)

If I could offer Scott (and Sheffer, really) ANY advice, it would be this:

1. Institute an open-door policy (if there isn't one already) among yourself, your cast and crew, and your HW. It's true that it all starts with the page, but the actors have to sell what's on that page, too. They must have an equal partnership in their own characters. (How else can you get the best performance possible out of them?) However, at the same time, make it clear that it IS a team effort, that you're all there for one purpose: to entertain the folks at home. That's it. No egos need apply.

2. Develop (in tandem w/ Sheffer) a strong vision for the show and abide by it. I know that isn't easy to accomplish with so many fingers in the old pie. Let me tell you, though, in the end, viewers appreciate a show more for being consistent and different (but not TOO different) than for anything else.

3. While fans, for the most part, are willing to follow a show or production regime that knows what it's doing and what it wants, at the same time, Mr. Scott, be willing to admit when something just plain isn't going over well with us. (You see, that's been DAYS's problem for quite some time: it's forgotten when to cut their proverbial losses and move on.) Yes, sometimes, when fans complain about the direction of a story, it means the story is working out as your team had planned. But sometimes - just sometimes - it also means it isn't. Make sure everyone knows how to spot the difference.

Of course, I can't speak for ALL fans, but you know what? I'm willing to overlook the craptastic SFX and production values, Mr. Scott, if you'll just produce the show with some integrity. Do whatever you can to give DAYS back to the people who have loved it and stood by it through thick and thin. Believe me, I've seen most of my beloved shows (AMC, ATWT, GL, OLTL, now Y&R) become sad, distorted shadows of themselves. DAYS fans don't deserve that kind of misery. Even if their show doesn't last one minute past 2009, they deserve to see it go out looking and feeling like something they can be proud of.

• Members

From what we know of Ed Scott and Hogan Sheffer, they seem to have similar personalities, so I would imagine they may have the same vision for the show. It sometimes is so sad being a DAYS fan, because the show has so much potential, and I truly believe it is still one of the few shows that has the capability to rebound. I would love a huge story involving John and Marlena, Bo and Hope, and Steve and Kayla, with Stefano and Kate causing problems. All three couples have these huge fan bases, they will seemingly never be happy if they aren't together, so why not use that, thrown em together in a story, use the murky pasts of Hope, Steve, John, and Marlena, and ultimately play them against each other. Maybe Steve and Hope have a past that they don't remember, when Hope was Gina, and Steve was a mercenary. Something that would cause tension. Also, the show has suffered in recent years for being unable to create major new successful characters; EJ is the only breakout new character. I think if Scott focuses on the sets, music and casting, we will be halfway there

• Members

I agree and I hope he does it. Days needs that. Yes, the supercouples are important but any story that produces good drama and is true to history and characters is a winning formula IMO. Days has catered to fanbases for way too long and has let them dictate story, causing so many things to be dropped or re-written. That can water down a show. It's time for Days to just go for solid drama and story. That is the way to go. They may lose some fans, especially some JER lovers, but they may gain back people who watched before his first run and maybe even attract some new fans who are just looking for quality drama.

Other then that, I want better production values, no SFX, more improvement on the balance, and more writers that know the show on staff (Sheri as a co-HW or on the team, B&C, etc.) I'm not sure ED can do that but he can bring it up to Corday. I am happy with the show but will be even happier if these things happen. They would make it perfect for me. I think Ed will benefit Hogan alot and that he will help keep Corday within his limits too.

Archived