Primetime Soaps

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Going through this thread, I compiled a list of short-lived (as in one or two seasons) primetime soaps that were on the big three broadcast networks in the 1980s.

CBS: Secrets of Midland Heights (December 6, 1980-January 24, 1981), Emerald Point N.A.S. (September 26, 1983-March 12, 1984)

ABC: Kings Crossing (January 16-February 27, 1982), The Hamptons (July 27-August 24, 1983), Paper Dolls (September 23-December 25, 1984), The Colbys (November 20, 1985-March 26, 1987)

NBC: Flamingo Road (January 6, 1981-May 4, 1982), Bare Essence (February 15-June 13, 1983), The Yellow Rose (October 2, 1983-May 12, 1984), Berrenger's (January 5-March 9, 1985)

If any are missing, please feel free to add.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Thanks for sharing. Always found Wendy to be an underrated and warm actress however I feel like she essentially played the same variation of character on each of her biggest shows (A Year in the Life, Falcon Crest, Homefront, Promised Land). Of course the biggest issue on Falcon Crest wasn’t Wendy herself but the simple fact her character was basically a thankless Maggie clone at a time when we needed the real Maggie. 

• Members

Hotel always befuddled me as I remember being called a primetime soap but when it aired on SoapNet but was disappointed to see it was rather convoluted, aside from the long term romance between Peter and Christine. I remember Hotel being talked about but my parents were St. Elsewhere fans. I have the DVD box set for all 5 seasons I picked up years back at a flea market but haven’t watched it as I was never impressed with what I saw. 

@kalbir I thought one was missing off your list but it looks very accurate to me.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I think it is an interesting discussion about what gets called a Primetime Soap.  Especially after the failure of The Colby's and all the press about the death of soaps in primetime.

For me, the best example is Thirtysomething.  It was a continuing drama.  It used cliffhangers.  And, it focused on the romantic lives of couples against a backdrop of advertising.  But, Thirtysomething premiered in September 1987, six months after the cancellation of The Colby's, so ABC would never market it as a soap.  Even though, arguably, it was much more soapy than Hotel.

• Members

None of those shows were labeled primetime soaps or promoted as soaps though, plus AFAIK SOD didn't cover them.

In the 1990s, the only primetime shows I remember SOD covering outside the final seasons of the CBS big three primetime soaps were Twin Peaks, Dark Shadows reboot, 90210, Melrose. 

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Fair point as well, although unfortunately the 90’s primetime soaps never much coverage in SOD at all compared to the 80’s as in no recaps or synopsis whatsoever and some issues neglecting it altogether to focus more only on daytime.

SOD actually did try to actively promote Pacific Palisades as well as push Dawson’s Creek and Felicity for a bit there as well but again they never got the same treatment as the 80’s primetime soaps. 

I feel SPW was a lot more liberal when it came to stuff like Melrose, Party of Five, 90210, Felicity, One Tree Hill and the OC which was fine. Featuring Desperate Housewives on the front cover was fine as well. What wasn’t fine was when SPW had a full cover of American Idol on it and promote “it’s like a soap!!” on the front page. 

• Members

I always remembered SOD included Sisters in the ratings round-up for primetime soaps of the 90s... but I do agree that SOD didn't cover any of the 90s prime time soaps like they did with the 80s ones.   They might have had a blurb about Sisters, and some of the other short lived shows.. but not to the extent of the 80s ones.

Melrose Place becoming successful did spur on a mini revival of the genre in the 90s.. but the majority of them didn't catch on because of either the timeslot, bad writing, etc.