AMC: Thursday

• Members

AMS loves his Colin-body lol But I agree with you about AT. He's got muscles, but there's this leanness about him, sort of a flexibility. I see sort of the same thing in Colin, though. He looks a little thicker to me because he's shorter than most of the other guys on the show (okay...all of them except Little Adam lol). I think he's sort of a middle-of-the-road combination of Aiden and Cameron, which is all fine and dandy by me because I'd hop all three of them at this moment. LOL about the whole distraction thing. I keep having flashbacks to Memorial Day 2006 when Josh stripped down to his sexxxxxy little underwear in the hospital and went into the steam room, with Jamie coming out with a towel on. I almost lost all respect for myself as a true soap fan that day lol

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just when I think this show has become total ff material, they give us an episode like this one!

The only part not worth watching, imo, was Del/Jonathan/Aiden/Di.

I loved the flashback to the first Jenny and Joe's speech actually nearly had me in tears. It was wonderful to see Ruth again even if it was the faux one.

Jack & Erica were funny as they fought about the over-the-top script for their reconciliation.

Sean & Colby are still cute and becoming more rootable all the time. I also loved when he ruined Barbara's tape.

Karen Lewis is easily the second best scriptwriter currently behind only Amanda L Beall and this terrific blend of family, deep conversations, and humor shows why.

• Members

Gosh, really? Do you think Karen Lewis is even worthy of the honor of being second best to Mandy Beall? I mean, shit! Karen Lewis has only been a script writer for AMC for TWENTY YEARS, while Mandy's been there less than four -- but really? She's really worthy of being second best to Beall?

I guess you're right. Beall really has had a grip on the show's history and characters in three years that slow old Karen Lewis hasn't been able to grasp -- you know, having written scripts under the show's better head writers of Agnes Nixon and Lorraine Broderick. Beall has just come up under Megan McTavish -- yet, I can totally understand how her limited knowledge and mentorship can make her the best script writer currently on AMC's staff.

Let's see -- while Beall's been on the show under McTavish, the show's only focused on the same six to eight characters (who, miraculously, seem to be the only characters Beall seems to write for as well even AFTER McTavish is gone. Whew! What balance! ). Karen Lewis, on the other hand, has not only been there for the show's history, but has WRITTEN the show's history that we're all so happy to have mentioned -- yet she's second best to Mandy Newcomer? :rolleyes:

I know you're mega important and busy and oh, so fabulous to actually back up any of your claims... but I have to say, without any support, it does seem like you just like Mandy Beall because she's all sparkly, shiney and new. Not for any real, substantial reasons. And I'm not surprised -- because that's about as much depth as Beall knows how to write. So, if you enjoy shallow, superficial writing, then, yeah. She is the best scriptwriter.

Signed,

R. SINCLAIR

Founder, President and Star Member

The Amanda L. Beall Hate Coalition

• Members

^^Haha - ohhhhh R Sinclair!

**psst, Steve, don't let that keep you away from the daily threads - that was all in fun for him*

I am curious to see who gets to stay and who comes aboard when B&E start their work, which should be at the end of the month, right?

• Members

AMS, it was late, lol. Sorry ;)

So, I watched Jack and Erica's scenes last night. I thought these two were going to annoy me forever more after that last storyline, but they didn't yesterday. Wonderful scenes they were fun without being dumb and totally immature. Enjoyed them completely.

• Members

No, I don't care for shallow, superficial writing, which is why I don't like Joanna Cohen's work.

Funny though that I'm not the only poster who noticed what a great writer Beall is. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, when I have more free time, I will post comparisons to show what I mean. As for how busy my life is, I just spent Friday through today traveling from Vermont to upstate New York to visit family with my mom and tomorrow morning I'll be up at 5:30 to start work before driving another 70 miles each way for a meeting and then coming home to put in some OT since I have a coworker who has a stroke two months ago who has not been replaced yet. Then, I'm out again next weekend.

I can't wait until I do have more spare time so I can put you in your place! :D

• Members

Shallow, superficial writing of Cohen:

"I understand what you're going through, Jonathan. You wake up, and for the first few seconds everything's okay, and then it hits you. She’s gone. Erin’s gone, and she’s not coming back. It happens to me every day. I’ll be walking down the street, and I’ll see a flash of red hair or I’ll hear a familiar laugh or something, and I'll turn around fully expecting to see her, but I don’t, because she’s gone. She’s gone, and I’m never going to see her again. I see her in my dreams. I do. I see her in my dreams, and she’s so full of life, and I just -- I try to hang on to it for a few moments, just a little more time. But it doesn't work. Because I wake up, and when I do, she's still gone."

(1/8/07 BDW: Michelle Patrick; SW: Joanna Cohen)

Complex, superior, rich and deep heartfelt dialog written by Beall:

"Krystal's not perfect, but when she says "I love you," it's to me. Me, Stephanie, not her Pilates trainer. So you want to look down your nose job at me because I have a job, fine, whatever. But you talk smack on Krystal, and I will yank your hair extensions out and shove them down your throat!"

(7/3/07 BDW: Chip Hayes; SW: Amanda L. Beall)

Wait... more of Cohen's shallow, superficial writing (since I'm a slacker with way too much time on my hands):

"You know, ever since I got pregnant, I keep going over and over in my head about that night that we had together trying to figure out what possessed me. I should have said no, Tad. I should have. I came to your house. You were just out of your mind with pain and with grief and -- it should have been up to me to think straight for both of us, and I thought I was, I really did. I thought I had it all under control. But I didn't think about the consequences. I was a fool. A fool. And I have been, ever since. I broke our marriage vows, and I still thought that Adam and I were invincible. I actually believed that if I fought hard enough to make Adam remember how much we loved each other, that he would come to terms with all this. Oh. Who was I fooling, huh? Adam left me, and he is not coming back."

(4/6/07 BDW: Stephen Demorest; SW: Joanna Cohen)

And adult, mature, superior top-notch dramatic dialog from Ms. Mandy B.:

• "You're going to stay right here, and you're going to let Bianca fill you in on that bottle-blonde soul-sucker."
  • "Are you mad that I'm back, Babe? Is that why you keep on coming after me? Tanking me with Sean? Making me look like a slut and a nut job?"
    "Ruining an innocent man's life makes you a nut job. And a nasty little b
    itch."
    "You got it, Babe. But you're the nasty little slut."
  • "Will you stop grossing me out here, please, and just let me talk? You repulse me. You disgust me. I can think of several thousand women who are much less disgusting than you that Josh could pick, but for some odd reason, he picked you."
(10/12/06 BDW: Stephen Demorest; SW: Amanda L. Beall)

I tried, even in Beall's earlier work as script writer, to find deep, revealing speeches. Dialog that was true emotional exposition -- but mostly, what I found were set ups and punchlines with a few good one-liners thrown in for good measure.

Maybe you're not the only poster who's noticed what a "great" (COUGH, CHOKE, GAG, VOMIT!!!!!) writer Mandy is, but I'm also not the only poster who's noticed what a joke of a hack Mandy is.

Also, as for my Cohen praise, I never said she was the best script writer on AMC -- I said she has tremendous promise. And I definitely didn't have to audacity to place her above twenty year veteran Karen Lewis.

Archived