What year was the best on Your soap

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah I was so close to putting 1997 on my list, but I couldn't forgive the travesty of what B&E did to my precious Quint and Nola(what was Holly doing at this time?). Despite that there were many times when GL was must see tv. Of course this was also when GL won "The Best Soap of 1997" Award for Soap Opera Digest.

• Members

Well, I will agree that all the drama that came with Maria sleeping with Dimitri was great, but at the time I just thought it was a little out of character. I never really saw the attraction between Maria and Dimitri. All the baby Maddie stuff was great though and Erica/Skye/Janet....best ever:)

• Members

you're absoultely right. I did not enjoy what they did to Quint and Nola and then Nola stalking Buzz! And as for Holly, Fletcher flew the coop and kidnapped Meg (Maybe that was 98). B&E had their moments but I forgot that when they're bad...run away!

• Members

Without a doubt, 1987-ish Santa Barbara for me.

From when Kelly accidentally pushed Dylan out of the window to his death at the Capwell hotel, and Gina was hiding next door and stumbled on a police surveillance (sp?) camera that caught the whole thing, to Gina keeping the tape as leverage against C.C., and all the way through when Elena Nikolas came to town for revenge against the Capwells, especially Eden, whom she kidnapped (?) or left her in the mountains (?) and she stumbled and fell and became paralyzed and Cain kept her in his mountain cabin and tried to get Eden to walk again, but when she finally got back to town, Elena wound up dead and her last words (to C.C.) were "Cruz killed me Daddy" prompting Cruz to stand trial for murder, for which he was convicted, but he planned a "great escape" at the wedding of Kelly and Jeffrey.

Yeah that was a great year.

• Members

Y&R: There isn't a particular year that stands out to me as being the best. I think the best era was from Victor and Nikki's first meeting in 1981 to the culmination of the "Who Shot Victor" story in the summer of 1996 (despite the Cricket hour of the late 1980s). There was a rough patch from September 1996 - June 1997, but things picked up in the 2nd half of 1997 to lead into a very good 25th anniversary year in 1998. 1999 onward I will say some storylines were better than others.

B&B: The only really must watch years were Sheila's first run, 1992-1995.

• Members

The Young and the Restless: 1981-1986, 1990-now. Starting with Victor and Nikki meeting for the first time and ending with Lauralee Bell joining the cast. Y&R declined a bit for me from 1986-1989 when it became all about Cricket, but it picked up again in 1990 and has been pretty good (for the most part) since then.

The Bold and the Beautiful: 1992-1995. Without Sheila I don't think B&B would've made it past the 1990s.

As the World Turns: 1985-1993. The late Douglas Marland was an amazing writer who pretty much saved the show in the 1980s. This era of ATWT also launched the careers of Julianne Moore and Ming Na.

Guiding Light: 1989-1992. Starting with the return of the late Michael Zaslow and ending with the departure of Beverlee McKinsey. GL really peaked for me from when Kim Zimmer left in 1990 to when Beverlee McKinsey left in 1992. This era of GL also launched the careers of Sherry Stringfield, Melina Kanakaredes, and Nia Long.

Archived