AMC: New Headwriters announed

• Members

Count me on the negative side on this one. I never saw much of their work, but part of that is because I was never attracted to any of their work when I would be surfing the soaps.

They drove the nail into the coffin of PC, a show that was at one time my favorite soap, by making it a supernatural show and about a bunch of characters that had nothing to do with the original heart of the show. PC was about the Scanlon family, the interns, and Kevin Lucy and Scott when it started. They wrote a completely different show about an angel and a vampire!!

They changed the setting of GL to a fictional tropical island and centered it on the mob, both of which took the show years to recover from and escape.

The City was nice, but mainly because of the setting, the style, and the way it looked, I agree with bellcurve about that.

I agree with whoever said they seem plot-driven.

I expect a lot of new characters with flimsy or nonexistent ties to existing characters in Pine Valley. I do not expect them to write well for multigenerational family storytelling.

Good luck, AMC fans, but I am worried for you. I doubt this is much of an improvement on your previous headwriter.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, that was Brash & Cwikly. For us Days fans, they're actually considered GOLDEN! LoL

Esensten & Brown were never actually HEADWRITERS at Days. Everybody knows that Hogan Sheffer is the man with that title. B&E were just breakdown writers, I believe, but the show did take a very sharp turn downwards as soon as they came onboard, and it's taken a very sharp turn upwards with quality now that they're gone. I'm pretty sure that the two things are connected, LoL.

• Members

Well, I guess that's good, that they didn't pen that mess, but I don't like this whole thing. But I guess as long as they don't decide that Josh needs a fetus sister, then I can give them a chance.

• Members

I think it is quite sad that daytime just recylces and recycles at its writers. jumping from one soap to the next. this is why many storylines are so predictable becasue they were just done by the same person on another soap two years before. anyways, i guess B&E's hiring is a welcome change and we will have to see if they can do it.

• Members

What a disappointment!

B&E were great at first on GL, then as others have said, after that horrid clone storyline they destroyed several characters (Holly in particular) and refocused the show on the mob and the island of San Cristobel. I'll take a wait-and-see approach, but my gut reaction is that they are going to be terrible for AMC.

I would love to know why Kay Alden didn't get the job since she seemed so interested in it.

• Members

Ah, no.

And B&E were awful at GL. They made Holly a psychopath and I thought that clone story was hilariously bad. They jumped on the bandwagon of trying to be Reilly's DOOL real quick before some others got the hang of it.

B&E have some good work to their credit but IMHO they do much, much more harm than good.

• Members

I am going to take a wait and see approach before I join the negative side. I am not going to hold their previous stints against them...different soap....maybe possibly different writing style. JMHO

• Members

I don't see how the team didn't work well together .... the past couple of weeks have been some of AMC's best in a LONG time.

I'm indifferent to B&E.

I liked some of their Port Charles. I never saw their tenure on Loving/The City.

I did get hooked on their GL. 1997 was great, IMO. I hated the Holly as a kidnapper thing. The Clone was alright, I suppose.

Overall, I liked their work on GL the best.

I so wish Kay Alden would of gotten AMC. Sigh. It makes no sense unless Frons wants Alden at OLTL. And where has Jack Smith been? Has he fallen off the face of the earth?

• Members

Yup! They were part of this year's downfall. And they may have their good qualities, just like ANY other HW, but we know their vision of shows. They did it with OLTL as well. They thrive on throwing their own characters, young, not familiar and writing for them in a manner in which people have to watch just for them.

This is the best DAYS news in a while!!!

• Members

See, as a long (very long) time fan of OLTL, I disagree with that. When B&E were on there was a clear focus on a specific group and the stories went with them, weyward and all.

I hope Alden comes to OLTL but a recent article stated clearly that Higley wasn't budging at OLTL rite? Or something to that extent...

Archived