AMC: New Headwriters announed

• Members

Co-sign. Like Jill or Hate her, she's very good at what she does and she's absolutely committed to the genre. Quality is very important to her and while her shows have their ups and downs, when they're good, they're reallllly good.

I LOVED JFP's OLTL. Max's Brain Tumor? The search for Asa & Renee's long lost son? Lindsey/Bo/Nora? Yeah, some of the behind the scenes stuff was nuts then, but OLTL was a high quality, entertaining, well-written show through much of her run. You couldn't help but watch it.

I don't see her that way. Look at her run on GL from 91-95ish. That was considered by many to be a glory period of the show and she contributed to that critical success. AW was a botched job, but much of that can be blamed on the writing and the dreadful decision to fire Anna Stuart.....and at the eleventh hour, fire Alice Barrett instead, underestimating AW viewers' attachment to both characters. F*cking Focus Groups. <_<

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phelps downfall most times has been listening to focus groups which aren't a n accurate representation of soap viewers overall. JFP is obviously a capable producer. She seems to be a bit of a tyrant when it comes to behind the scenes stuff but I do think in her twisted way she isn't trying to ruin the soaps she is on. Never the less I don't think I'd want her as Prez of ABC Daytime. Its hard to believe but she has been EP at GH now for like 6 years. 2001 she came aboard correct?

• Members

I agree. Phelps' production skills have never been an issue with me. She's done wonders with the production values at GH. The editing is the absolute BEST of the three ABCD shows, and there is a real slick quality to it.

BUT!

She IS a tyrant. Again, since I don't have all these quotes memorized verbatim or right in front of me, I'll paraphrase -- something along the lines of how she and Megan told fans that we don't know what we want. THEY (TIIC) know what we want and it's their job to show us and realize it's what we wanted all along.

That's why she probably gets along so well with Frons -- because that fool believes viewers need to be trained.

As if WE work for THEM?! :unsure:

And, yes. It's been six years. Guza and Meg Bennett bowed out in late fall 2000, and Wendy Riche followed soon after.

• Members

Yes I remember that quote. Yes we as viewers are too stupid to think for ourselves. We are dogs that need to be trained.

:rolleyes:

If Guza does leave this summer I wonder if JFP would bring Megan back? She wasn't fired from GH was she? Or was she.

• Members

Jill inherited an already exceptional creative team at GL (much like she did on SB). In fact, if you look at GL's writing team from 90-93, it's filled with many lauded and outstanding soap writers, who've all earned respect and recognition in some form. However, Jill's last two years or so on GL was just bad, the show just wasn't the same again. If anything, she started the downward spiral GL's in, of course hacks like Rauch and company weren't much better. Maureen Bauer's death was really the biggest of flaws in Jill's career, because by relying on those [!@#$%^&*] focus groups to kill of the character, she ended up killing the heart and soul of GL in the long-run.

• Members

I personally found her OLTL too dark and depressing. She also added a lot of crap that was unpopular and continues to be unpopular amongst the general fan-base of the show.

-She broke Bo & Nora up

-She added the dreadful Rappaport family

-She committed character assassination of Dorian (which is partly why Robin Strasser left, other than not getting on very well with Jill)

-The constant addition of FOJ's

-Hiring McTavish, who would also follow her to GH.

I think it's no coincidence that OLTL finally won the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy, after Jill left. Gary Tomlin was breath of fresh air for the show after JFP's dark interpretation. He was able to revive the show with more light, humor, and variability imo.

• Members

OLTL was so edgy and fresh under Tomlin and like you said he rejuvenated the show.

OLTL under Higley/Valentini is just as dark and depressing as it was under JFP.

Who can forget Jen's "fun" exit? :blink:

• Members

IIRC, Trading Places was July 4, 2001 while Live Week was in 2002. Also, they won the Emmy in 2002 which was for 2001 episodes.

Anyway, I thought Tomlin's OLTL was rather devoid of substance... JFP's OLTL was the beginning of the end of OLTL as OLTL's fans knew it (i.e. it was homogenized and never recovered after that) but from what I saw of it (I boycotted ATWT for a period in 1999 after Liz Hubbard quit) it was incredibly well-produced. More like primetime than a soap. Very fast-paced, with interesting characters and good dialogue. Tomlin's OLTL to me was a sitcom, from what I saw of it (occasionally on SoapNet.)

Archived