AMC: New Headwriters announed

• Members

I'm extremely disappointed. This was the time when ABCD could've salvaged some dignity and pretended like they knew how to make an intelligent move -- but alas, with BS Frons at the helm, any opportunity for that to happen was all shot to hell. :rolleyes: Let's just recycle more writers because we're too lazy to venture outside of the incestuous pool of the daytime community.

I am not crazy about this show becoming the Julie Hanan Cowudders Old Home Week. We've got Anthony Morina dropping by to direct. We've got Beall and Hayes adding their special brand of magic on the associate head writing staff (I won't start in on Beall, so relax people). Now we've got the head writers from Port Charles as well? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, there's nothing that can be done. Wait six months to see how the show has risen, fallen or stagnated.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I take that those focus groups that Kay was talking about didn't like her and the team of writers output, thus the reason why Kay wasn't offered the headwriting position.

I expect it will come out soon that Alden and Smith have parted ways with ABCD.

I don't get ABCD and its reliance on these focus groups; William J. Bell, Agnes Nixon, and Douglass Marland never cared for them. Yet a bunch of network execs who know nothing about soaps do?

• Members

Or maybe she didn't get along well with other's on her HW team? HWs have enormous egos, even the best ones. Who knows if British or Aussie soap ways could work for US Daytime... (I know it wouldn't.)

• Members

I believe Kay is still working for AMC/ABC---just not having the drama of being a head writer.

She got burned before--if she's got the chance to write without the head writer BS why not go for that.

And really, to be a FOJ (Friend of Julie) is the way to go--it kept Thorsten around, and now this

• Members

Why are B&E listed as Emmy award winners btw? They were breakdown writers for the year GL won Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team. I've always thought the award went to the head-writer(s).

This was the winning team from 93:

Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team

Nancy Curlee (headwriter)

Stephen Demorest (headwriter)

Lorraine Broderick (headwriter)

James E. Reilly (headwriter)

Nancy Williams Watt (associate headwriter)

Michael Conforti

Bill Elverman

Barbara Esensten

James H. Brown

Trent Jones

N. Gail Lawrence

Pete T. Rich

Sally Mandel

Patrick Mulcahey

Roger Newman

Dorothy Ann Purser

Peggi Schibi

Courtney Sherman

Wisner Washam

God, GL had so many wonderful writers on its writing team in the early 90's, truly a golden era for the show.

• Members

I believe the whole writing team does win the Emmy.

Yea, bulls*%$! is what I am talking about. Especially with Frons and how much his hands are in every part of a show, it's a lot of BS to deal with. And between Frons and not being a FOJ it would be a tough road.

Really, she's got a better gig now as the "consultant"

• Members

Listening to the lecture that Alden recently did, it sounds like she was interested in the HW position for AMC. She expressed how she wanted to write more for these characters on a daily basis and how she spent six months getting to know them. I don't think Frons wanted to hire her though. From what she said in that lecture, she sounded more interested in writing a soap that was character driven, balanced, and having focus on vets. These are things that Frons is completely against. I think Alden would have been able to take AMC back to a stronger soap more like Y&R (or what it used to be).

I don't know what these new HW's will do for AMC. I certainly don't have a lot of confidence because everything they have done has either been cancelled or has tanked in the ratings. Maybe AMC will be a better fit for them. Who knows what will happen.

• Members

I'm sorry but who cares what other people say? Watch and judge them for yourself. There's always going to be people who hate a certain writer, while others rave about that person.

I'd rather wait and see what they do, than judge them by shows they've written for in the past.

Archived