Y&R Discussion Thread: Week of May 21st

• Members

Wait though, my Phyllis Hate doesn't preclude my Brad Hate.

Oh, I wasn't saying it does. We all deserve the opportunity to indulge the Brad hate. I'm just saying in generally all these characters are hypocrites who don't take resposibility. I could have used almost any example. Brad is just my fave. :lol:

Sure, but she also told Brad she didn't regret it, so I wasn't all that impressed with her apologies. I'm sorry, but if my affair with my SIL's husband led to a chain of events that hurt so many people, I think I would put childish romantic notions aside and reget the act big time. I'm not saying Sharon is responsible for Dru's death or Victoria's miscarriage, I'm saying she started a chain of events that contributed to those things. Yet she still has to have her "no regrets" bs with Brad. It just pissed me off. All of these characters are self centered, which makes it fun sometimes, but I would like a little more balance. That's why I was hoping Cane was actually sincere.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm about ready to throw up as I type this, but Sharon told Brad quite a few times that she regrets sleeping with him in NYC and that if she knew it would cause all this pain, she wouldn't have done it. Brad's the one saying he ddidn't regret it no matter what. But that's not surprising since Brad has always been a self-serving asshat.

LML is making it really hard for me to watch this show lately. The plots have got to stop! I have a feeling Gloria won't pay until Judith's contract is almost up and she may not resign. I'm willing to bet if/when Gloria is found out to be the one that tampered with the face cream, she'll get off on a technicality. And I feel that if Michelle Safford's contract wasn't up soon that Phyllis wouldn't be facing extorsion charges. It's just a plot point to cover the bases in case MS doesn't resign so they can write out Phyllis.

• Members

Just the other day Brad and Sharon talked about it. Brad asked her if she really regretted it and she said no. I'm not delusional, I swear. This is just a minor pet peeve of mine. I hate soap couples that talk about their "no regrets" affair when the world is falling down around them. Sharon is far from the most selfish person on the show right now though, I admit that. I'm actually one of those people who like both Phyllis and Sharon (Phyllis more usually, but not recently). Brad, Gloria, Phyllis, Nikki and Victor all have her beat by a long mile. At least Victor is thinking of his other son and has some excuse for leaving his family in the middle of their grief.

• Members

Fair enough.

But that's movin dangerously close to moral relativism which is what ruined NBC/ABC soaps.

Her apologies to Vicki & Jack were definitely both cases of too little, too late.

But her apology to Neil was sincere regardless of what she said to Brad afterwards IMO.

Well if we're goin that route then N/P shoulda been a LOT more apologetic then they were too since it was their affair that was the impetus for Brad/Sharon.

Yep.

And she'll still be as self righteous as ever while her henchpeople (Lauren, Michael & Kevin) helpin her committ one felony after another.

He has enough time to be a self righteous jerk to Aunt Jack with Michael, yet doesn't have enough time to help the rest of his family through their grief?

Amen. And twice on Sunday.

• Members

I agree. I did believe she was sincere with Neil.

I think we've moved into a situation where we have to many characters that are in the grey area. Sure, I think that makes for good soap, but imo, we need the characters who are good too. I watch Y&R and there is not one man, I would want. I watch ATWT and I think "where's my Jack Snyder?" Shouldn't at least some of these guys be ideals the female viewers dream of? Only if you want men who cheat on you when you have cancer or your daughter dies (I love Nick, but it is what it is). We need a few guys with some honor on this show. It's a good foil to the scheming females at the very least.

You'll get no argument here. I'm just saying at least he has some motivation for being selfish. Some of the things these characters do are more palatable to me when there's at least some emotional motivation. Sharon and Nick's marriage falling apart and the affairs both of them had made sense to me because of Cassie. Of course it was still wrong, but Nick really was at least partially at fault for what happened to Cassie and it made some sense that he couldn't stand to be around Sharon. I don't think I could ever face my family in his place. I actually thought that was some decent writing on whoever's part. Nick was acting like an ass, so it made sense that Sharon would turn to Brad (god help her).

Lately, Brad, Nikki and Phyllis pretty much have no motivation for some of their bad behavior, so it's a lot harder for me to give them a pass for just being human. Oh, well. Makes hating Brad more fun. He's just a natural born ass. :P

BTW, didn't Judith re-sign this spring? I could have sworn she did.

• Members

I imagine if JVA would have remained in the role of Gloria, we wouldn't have been dealing with all the crappy, kookie mess that has been dished out to us right now. It would have been great to see JVA and Ted S. together...Her version of Gloria for me, was far more interesting in seeing...When they brought of Judith, they immediately turned up the laugh track and the bafoonary in all her scenes.... Like I said, I like Judith Chapman, but her version of Gloria is like a very bad imitation of Lucy Ricardo that has gone one scheme too many.

• Members

SweetNYGal- Have you heard if GC has re-signed? I bet TPTB were pretty worried with SC, MS and JM all coming up for re-newal at the same time just when VR left. That could have been an even bigger disaster than it already is.

• Members

ITA. Mainly cause JVA knew EXACTLY who & what the character was.

It sure would've.

Cause TS as Will is the most boring boring that ever did boring. lol

JChap is a good actress but she plays the EXACT same character on every soap. Which would be fine if she were another character but JChap's Gloria is the antithesis of Gloria.

As freaky lookin as Joan is/was, she was absolutely superb at creatin such a unique character in such a relatively short amount of time.

See, there's a difference between Grey Area & Black Hats.

Michael (prior to Kelfin & Hecuba) was a great Grey Hat.

Victor, Jack, Jill & Katherine are also all classic Grey Hats.

But once folk like them become the moral centers of the show & proceed to ALWAYS get the last word in EVERY subject they start to ruin the show to the point where people can do horrible things to one another (like they are currently) yet no one ever be held accountable for their actions (like they aren't currently).

Nicholas used to be that relatively good guy but TPTB essentially flushed Shick down the toilet for no reason in the aftermath of Cassie's death, then inexplicably turned right around & acted as if Nicholas was still THAT dude...just with Phyllis.

Archived